Explaining the Spatial Variation in Homeownership Rates: Results for German Regions
This paper employs cross-sectional data on 96 German regions to investigate the interregional variability of homeownership rates. Among the explanatory variables, the analysis includes important regional housing market indicators as well as regional socio-demographic composition, urbanization and labor market performance. An estimation strategy is chosen which accounts for different forms of spatial dependence among the regional units. We find that regional differences in the relative price of owning versus renting, and the affordability of owner-occupied housing play a key role in explaining why homeownership rates vary so substantially across the country. The results indicate significant neighborhood effects for several variables.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kelejian, Harry H. & Prucha, Ingmar R., 2007. "HAC estimation in a spatial framework," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 131-154, September.
- Anselin, Luc & Bera, Anil K. & Florax, Raymond & Yoon, Mann J., 1996. "Simple diagnostic tests for spatial dependence," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 77-104, February.
- Michael von der Lippe & Claus Christian Breuer, 2008. "Möglichkeiten und Grenzen regionaler Kaufkraftvergleiche," Review of Economics, Lucius & Lucius, vol. 59(1), pages 31-46.
- Coulson, N Edward, 2002. "Regional and State Variation in Homeownership Rates; or If California's Home Prices Were As Low As Pennsylvania's Would Its Ownership Rate Be As High?," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 261-76, May.
- Kelejian, Harry H. & Prucha, Ingmar R., 2010. "Specification and estimation of spatial autoregressive models with autoregressive and heteroskedastic disturbances," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 157(1), pages 53-67, July.
- Gianfranco Piras, . "sphet: Spatial Models with Heteroskedastic Innovations in R," Journal of Statistical Software, American Statistical Association, vol. 35(i01).
- Coulson, N. Edward & Fisher, Lynn M., 2009. "Housing tenure and labor market impacts: The search goes on," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 252-264, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_3377. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.