Can Internet Ads Serve as an Indicator of Homeownership Rates?
In this paper, we propose an indicator of the homeownership rate based on Internet ads offering the housing for rent and sale. We constructed the HOR estimate using the number of ads in four different markets (flats for rent, flats for sale, houses for rent, and houses for sale). Our HOR indicator was tested using data of German NUTS1 and planning (ROR) regions. The correlation between our estimate of the HOR and the alternative HOR figures varies between 0.834 and 0.874 at NUTS1 level and is 0.761 at the ROR level. All correlation coefficients are statistically significant. Our HOR estimate is particularly highly correlated with the official HOR figures. Thus, it is shown that our Internet-based indices could serve as a good indicator of the homeownership rate in German regions.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.diw.de/en
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Konstantin A. Kholodilin & Jan-Oliver Menz & Boriss Siliverstovs, 2010.
"What Drives Housing Prices Down? Evidence from an International Panel,"
Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik),
Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 230(1), pages 59-76, February.
- Konstantin A. Kholodilin & Jan-Oliver Menz & Boriss Siliverstovs, 2007. "What Drives Housing Prices Down?: Evidence from an International Panel," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 758, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Andrew Haughwout & Richard Peach & Joseph Tracy, 2010.
"The homeownership gap,"
Current Issues in Economics and Finance,
Federal Reserve Bank of New York, vol. 16(May).
- Brown, W. Mark & Hou, Feng & Lafrance, Amelie, 2010. "Incomes of Retirement-age and Working-age Canadians: Accounting for Home Ownership," Economic Analysis (EA) Research Paper Series 2010064e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Glaeser, Edward Ludwig, 2011. "Rethinking the Federal Bias Toward Homeownership," Scholarly Articles 8052149, Harvard Kennedy School of Government.
- Oliver Lerbs & Christian Oberst, 2011.
"Explaining the Spatial Variation in Homeownership Rates: Results for German Regions,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3377, CESifo Group Munich.
- Oliver W. Lerbs & Christian A. Oberst, 2014. "Explaining the Spatial Variation in Homeownership Rates: Results for German Regions," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 48(5), pages 844-865, May.
- Gundi Knies & C. Katharina Spieß, 2007. "Regional Data in the German Socio-Economic Panel Study (SOEP)," Data Documentation 17, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:diw:diwwpp:dp1168. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bibliothek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.