High and steady or low and rising? : life cycle earnings patterns in vocational and general education
In this paper, we compare experience-earnings profiles of employees with vocational andgeneral education background in Germany, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom,three countries with fundamentally different education systems. Using Mixed-EffectsLinear Regression Models we show that earnings of vocationally educated employeesare higher in the initial phase of their career. However, those with a general educationbackground catch up over time in the labor market. Life-cycle differences in earnings aremore pronounced in Germany than in the United Kingdom and the Netherlands.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht|
Phone: +31 (0)43 38 83 830
Web page: http://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jacob Mincer, 1958. "Investment in Human Capital and Personal Income Distribution," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66, pages 281.
- Lorraine Dearden & Howard Reed & John Van Reenen, 2005.
"The impact of training on productivity and wages: evidence from British panel data,"
IFS Working Papers
W05/16, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Lorraine Dearden & Howard Reed & John Van Reenen, 2006. "The Impact of Training on Productivity and Wages: Evidence from British Panel Data," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 68(4), pages 397-421, 08.
- Lorraine Dearden & Howard Reed & John Van Reenen, 2005. "The Impact of Training on Productivity and Wages: Evidence from British Panel Data," CEP Discussion Papers dp0674, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Lorraine Dearden & Howard Reed & John Van Reenen, 2005. "The impact of training on productivity and wages : evidence from British panel data," Economic History Working Papers 779, London School of Economics and Political Science, Department of Economic History.
- Alan L. Gustman & Thomas L. Steinmeier, 1980. "Labor Markets and Evaluations of Vocational Training Programs in the Public High Schools - Toward a Framework for Analysis," NBER Working Papers 0478, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daron Acemoglu & Jorn-Steffen Pischke, 1998.
"Beyond Becker: Training in Imperfect Labor Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
6740, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Pischke, Jorn-Steffen, 1999. "Beyond Becker: Training in Imperfect Labour Markets," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(453), pages F112-42, February.
- Daron Acemoglu & Joern-Steffen Pischke, 1998. "Beyond Becker: Training in Imperfect Labor Markets," Working papers 98-12, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Markus Gangl, 2002. "Changing Labour Markets and Early Career Outcomes: Labour Market Entry in Europe Over the Past Decade," Work, Employment & Society, British Sociological Association, vol. 16(1), pages 67-90, March.
- Jonathan Meer, 2005.
"Evidence on the Returns to Secondary Vocational Education,"
04-014, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Meer, Jonathan, 2007. "Evidence on the returns to secondary vocational education," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 559-573, October.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1979.
"Job Matching and the Theory of Turnover,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages 972-90, October.
- Goldin, Claudia, 2001.
"The Human-Capital Century And American Leadership: Virtues Of The Past,"
The Journal of Economic History,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 61(02), pages 263-292, June.
- Goldin, Claudia, 2001. "The Human-Capital Century and American Leadership: Virtues of the Past," Scholarly Articles 2624681, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Claudia Goldin, 2001. "The Human Capital Century and American Leadership: Virtues of the Past," NBER Working Papers 8239, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shoshana Neuman & Adrian Ziderman, 1999. "Vocational Education in Israel: Wage Effects of the VocEd-Occupation Match," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 34(2), pages 407-420.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unm:umamet:2011042. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charles Bollen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.