Limited Cognition and Clustered Asset Prices: Evidence from Betting Markets
Asset prices tend to cluster at round numbers. We examine betting exchange data on U.K. horse races to establish whether limited cognition is partially responsible for this clustering. The key tool in this study is the stark increase in cognitive load faced by traders during races compared to prior to races. Using an approach that is part regression discontinuity and part difference-in-difference, we find that traders exhibit a substantially higher propensity to quote round numbers during races. This result is robust to a series of placebo tests, and also to the use of bounds to deal with missing data.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Norwich NR4 7TI|
Phone: 44 1603 591131
Fax: +44(0)1603 4562592
Web page: http://www.uea.ac.uk/economics
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Jessica Pointer, School of Economics, University of East Anglia, Norwich Research Park, Norwich, NR4 7TJ, UK|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alasdair Brown, 2014. "Information Processing Constraints and Asset Mispricing," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 124(575), pages 245-268, 03.
- Herbert A. Simon, 1955. "A Behavioral Model of Rational Choice," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 69(1), pages 99-118.
- Sopranzetti, Ben J. & Datar, Vinay, 2002. "Price clustering in foreign exchange spot markets," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 411-417, October.
- Harris, Lawrence, 1991. "Stock Price Clustering and Discreteness," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 4(3), pages 389-415.
- Utpal Bhattacharya & Craig W. Holden & Stacey Jacobsen, 2012. "Penny Wise, Dollar Foolish: Buy-Sell Imbalances On and Around Round Numbers," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 58(2), pages 413-431, February.
- Victor Niederhoffer, 1965. "A New Look at Clustering of Stock Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 39, pages 309.
- Ahn, Hee-Joon & Cai, Jun & Cheung, Yan Leung, 2005. "Price clustering on the limit-order book: Evidence from the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 421-451, November.
- Hirshleifer, David & Lim, Sonya Seongyeon & Teoh, Siew Hong, 2006.
"Driven to distraction: Extraneous events and underreaction to earnings news,"
3110, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 16 Apr 2007.
- David Hirshleifer & Sonya Seongyeon Lim & Siew Hong Teoh, 2009. "Driven to Distraction: Extraneous Events and Underreaction to Earnings News," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 64(5), pages 2289-2325, October.
- Meghan R. Busse & Nicola Lacetera & Devin G. Pope & Jorge Silva-Risso & Justin R. Sydnor, 2013.
"Estimating the Effect of Salience in Wholesale and Retail Car Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
18820, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Meghan R. Busse & Nicola Lacetera & Devin G. Pope & Jorge Silva-Risso & Justin R. Sydnor, 2013. "Estimating the Effect of Salience in Wholesale and Retail Car Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 103(3), pages 575-79, May.
- Justin R. Sydnor & Devin G. Pope & Nicola Lacetera, 2011.
"Heuristic Thinking and Limited Attention in the Car Market,"
2011 Meeting Papers
105, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Nicola Lacetera & Devin G. Pope & Justin R. Sydnor, 2012. "Heuristic Thinking and Limited Attention in the Car Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 102(5), pages 2206-36, August.
- Nicola Lacetera & Devin G. Pope & Justin R. Sydnor, 2011. "Heuristic Thinking and Limited Attention in the Car Market," NBER Working Papers 17030, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alberto Abadie & Guido W. Imbens, 2011.
"Bias-Corrected Matching Estimators for Average Treatment Effects,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(1), pages 1-11, January.
- Abadie, Alberto & Imbens, Guido W., 2011. "Bias-Corrected Matching Estimators for Average Treatment Effects," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 29(1), pages 1-11.
- Wei-Yu Kuo & Tse-Chun Lin & Jing Zhao, 2015. "Cognitive Limitation and Investment Performance: Evidence from Limit Order Clustering," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 28(3), pages 838-875.
- Stefano Dellavigna & Joshua M. Pollet, 2009. "Investor Inattention and Friday Earnings Announcements," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 64(2), pages 709-749, 04.
- ap Gwilym, Owain & Clare, Andrew & Thomas, Stephen, 1998. "Price clustering and bid-ask spreads in international bond futures," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 8(3-4), pages 377-391, December.
- Sonnemans, Joep, 2006. "Price clustering and natural resistance points in the Dutch stock market: A natural experiment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(8), pages 1937-1950, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uea:aepppr:2012_54. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Theodore Turocy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.