Has political instability contributed to price clustering on Fiji's stock market?
The goal of this paper is to examine evidence of stock price clustering on the South Pacific Stock Exchange, located in Fiji, and explore its determinants. We find that stock prices cluster at the decimal of 0 and 5, with almost half of prices settling on these two decimals. Upon investigating the determinants of price clustering on the South Pacific Stock Exchange we find that price level and volume of trade have a statistically significant positive effect on price clustering. We also propose and test a „panic trading‟ hypothesis which states political instability induces price clustering. We find evidence that political instability in Fiji induces price clustering behavior.
|Date of creation:||29 Aug 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 221 Burwood Highway, Burwood 3125|
Phone: 61 3 9244 3815
Fax: +61 3 5227 2655
Web page: http://www.deakin.edu.au/buslaw/aef/index.php
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gottlieb, Gary & Kalay, Avner, 1985. " Implications of the Discreteness of Observed Stock Prices," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(1), pages 135-153, March.
- World Bank, 2013. "World Development Indicators 2013," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13191.
- Brown, Philip & Mitchell, Jason, 2008. "Culture and stock price clustering: Evidence from The Peoples' Republic of China," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 16(1-2), pages 95-120, January.
- Ahn, Hee-Joon & Cai, Jun & Cheung, Yan Leung, 2005. "Price clustering on the limit-order book: Evidence from the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 421-451, November.
- Bill M. Cai & Charlie X. Cai & Kevin Keasey, 2007. "Influence of cultural factors on price clustering and price resistance in China's stock markets," Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 47(4), pages 623-641.
- G. Geoffrey Booth & Aydin Yuksel, 2006. "Price resolution in an emerging market: Evidence from the Istanbul Stock Exchange," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(2), pages 137-152.
- Huang, Roger D. & Stoll, Hans R., 2001. "Tick Size, Bid-Ask Spreads, and Market Structure," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 36(04), pages 503-522, December.
- Gunther Capelle-Blancard & Mo Chaudhury, 2007.
"Price clustering in the CAC 40 index options market,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Gunther Capelle-Blancard & Mo Chaudhury, 2007. "Price clustering in the CAC 40 index options market," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(15), pages 1201-1210.
- Riccardo Curcio & Charles Goodhart, 1991. "The Clustering of Bid/Ask Prices and the Spread in the Foreign Exchange Market," FMG Discussion Papers dp110, Financial Markets Group.
- Khan, Safdar Ullah & Saqib, Omar Farooq, 2008.
"Political Instability and Inflation in Pakistan,"
13056, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 02 Jan 2009.
- Victor Niederhoffer, 1965. "A New Look at Clustering of Stock Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 39, pages 1-309.
- Harris, Lawrence, 1991. "Stock Price Clustering and Discreteness," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 4(3), pages 389-415.
- He, Yan & Wu, Chunchi, 2006. "Is stock price rounded for economic reasons in the Chinese markets?," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 119-135, September.
- ap Gwilym, Owain & Clare, Andrew & Thomas, Stephen, 1998. "Price clustering and bid-ask spreads in international bond futures," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 8(3-4), pages 377-391, December.
- Narayan, Paresh Kumar & Narayan, Seema & Popp, Stephan & D'Rosario, Michael, 2011. "Share price clustering in Mexico," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 113-119, April.
- Aitken, Michael & Brown, Philip & Buckland, Christine & Izan, H. Y. & Walter, Terry, 1996. "Price clustering on the Australian Stock Exchange," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 4(2-3), pages 297-314, July.
- Kee H. Chung & Kenneth A. Kim & Pattanaporn Kitsabunnarat, 2005. "Liquidity And Quote Clustering In A Market With Multiple Tick Sizes," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 28(2), pages 177-195.
- Verousis, Thanos & ap Gwilym, Owain, 2013. "Trade size clustering and the cost of trading at the London Stock Exchange," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 91-102.
- Benjamin M. Blau & Bonnie F. Van Ness & Robert A. Van Ness, 2012. "Trade Size And Price Clustering: The Case Of Short Sales And The Suspension Of Price Tests," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 35(2), pages 159-182, 06.
- Geoffrey Booth, G. & Kallunki, Juha-Pekka & Lin, Ji-Chai & Martikainen, Teppo, 2000. "Internalization and stock price clustering: Finnish evidence," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 737-751, October.
- Grossman, Sanford J, et al, 1997. "Clustering and Competition in Asset Markets," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 40(1), pages 23-60, April.
- Aslı Aşçıoğlu & Carole Comerton-Forde & Thomas H. McInish, 2007. "Price Clustering on the Tokyo Stock Exchange," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 42(2), pages 289-301, 05.
- Sonnemans, Joep, 2006. "Price clustering and natural resistance points in the Dutch stock market: A natural experiment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(8), pages 1937-1950, November.
- Brown, Philip & Chua, Angeline & Mitchell, Jason, 2002. "The influence of cultural factors on price clustering: Evidence from Asia-Pacific stock markets," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 307-332, June.
- Carole Comerton-Forde & Tālis J. Putniņš, 2014. "Stock Price Manipulation: Prevalence and Determinants," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 18(1), pages 23-66.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dkn:ecomet:fe_2011_03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dr Susan S Sharma)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.