Coresidence with Husband's Parents, Labor Supply, and Duration to First Birth
This paper investigates the time to first birth treating coresidence with husband's parents and labor force participation as endogenous using representative data on Taiwanese married women born over 1933-1968. We utilize a full information maximum likelihood estimator for a duration model with endogenous binary variables. Results controlling for endogeneity suggest that both coresidence and working result in a delay of childbearing, reversing the effect of coresidence on the timing of first birth, but not that of working. We also find that women in earlier cohorts tend to choose coresidency and not working, but an increasing number of women from later cohorts choose to do both or work only.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Box 353330, Seattle, WA 98193-3330|
Web page: http://www.econ.washington.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James J. Heckman & Edward J. Vytlacil, 2000. "Local Instrumental Variables," NBER Technical Working Papers 0252, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Griffith Feeney, 1991. "Fertility decline in Taiwan: A study using parity progression ratios," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 28(3), pages 467-479, August.
- Heckman, James J & Hotz, V Joseph & Walker, James R, 1985.
"New Evidence on the Timing and Spacing of Births,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 75(2), pages 179-84, May.
- James J. Heckman & V. Joseph Hotz & James R. Walker, . "New Evidence on the Timing and Spacing of Births," University of Chicago - Population Research Center 85-1, Chicago - Population Research Center.
- Janice Compton & Robert A. Pollak, 2011.
"Family Proximity, Childcare, and Women's Labor Force Attachment,"
NBER Working Papers
17678, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Compton, Janice & Pollak, Robert A., 2014. "Family proximity, childcare, and women’s labor force attachment," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(C), pages 72-90.
- Heckman, James J & Walker, James R, 1990. "The Relationship between Wages and Income and the Timing and Spacing of Births: Evidence from Swedish Longitudinal Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(6), pages 1411-41, November.
- Yvan St.-Pierre & Philip Merrigan, 1998.
"An econometric and neoclassical analysis of the timing and spacing of births in Canada from 1950 to 1990,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 11(1), pages 29-51.
- Philip Merrigan & Yvan St-Pierre, 1995. "A Neoclassical and Econometric analysis of the Timing and Spacing of Births in Canada from 1950 to 1990," Cahiers de recherche du Département des sciences économiques, UQAM 9501, Université du Québec à Montréal, Département des sciences économiques.
- Schultz, T Paul, 1973. "Explanation of Birth Rate Changes over Space and Time: A Study of Taiwan," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(2), pages S238-74, Part II, .
- Terza, Joseph V., 1998. "Estimating count data models with endogenous switching: Sample selection and endogenous treatment effects," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 129-154, May.
- Butler, J S & Moffitt, Robert, 1982. "A Computationally Efficient Quadrature Procedure for the One-Factor Multinomial Probit Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 761-64, May.
- Franz, Wolfgang, 1985. "An Economic Analysis of Female Work Participation, Education, and Fertility: Theory and Empirical Evidence for the Federal Republic of Germany," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 3(1), pages S218-34, January.
- Li, Jui-Chung Allen & Chang, Yi-Chuan, 2011. "Trends and Educational Differentials in Marriage Formation Among Taiwanese Women," Working Papers 891, RAND Corporation.
- Masaru Sasaki, 2002. "The Causal Effect of Family Structure on Labor Force Participation among Japanese Married Women," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 37(2), pages 429-440.
- Maurer-Fazio, Margaret & Connelly, Rachel & Lan, Chen & Tang, Lixin, 2009.
"Childcare, Eldercare, and Labor Force Participation of Married Women in Urban China: 1982 - 2000,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4204, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Margaret Maurer-Fazio & Rachel Connelly & Lan Chen & Lixin Tang, 2011. "Childcare, Eldercare, and Labor Force Participation of Married Women in Urban China, 1982–2000," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 46(2), pages 261-294.
- Arland Thornton & Ronald Freedman & Te-Hsiung Sun & Ming-Cheng Chang, 1986. "Intergenerational relations and reproductive behavior in Taiwan," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 23(2), pages 185-197, May.
- Heckman, James J, 1978.
"Dummy Endogenous Variables in a Simultaneous Equation System,"
Econometric Society, vol. 46(4), pages 931-59, July.
- James J. Heckman, 1977. "Dummy Endogenous Variables in a Simultaneous Equation System," NBER Working Papers 0177, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Behrman, Jere & Tarbman, Paul, 1985. "Intergenerational Earnings Mobility in the United States: Some Estimates and a Test of Becker's Intergenerational Endowments Model," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(1), pages 144-51, February.
- Margaret Marini & Peter Hodsdon, 1981. "Effects of the timing of marriage and first birth of the spacing of subsequent births," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 18(4), pages 529-548, November.
- repec:oxf:wpaper:gprg-wps-039 is not listed on IDEAS
- Wen-Jen Tsay & C. Y. Cyrus Chu, 2005. "The pattern of birth spacing during Taiwan's demographic transition," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 18(2), pages 323-336, 06.
- Emiko Takagi & Merril Silverstein, 2011. "Purchasing Piety? Coresidence of Married Children With Their Older Parents in Japan," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 48(4), pages 1559-1579, November.
- Wei-Hsin Yu, 2005. "Changes in women’s postmarital employment in Japan and Taiwan," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 42(4), pages 693-717, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:udb:wpaper:uwec-2012-04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael Goldblatt)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.