Economic Determinants of Participation in Physical Activity and Sport
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Brad R. Humphreys & Jane E. Ruseski, 2006. "Economic Determinants of Participation in Physical Activity and Sport," IASE Conference Papers 0619, International Association of Sports Economists.
References listed on IDEAS
- James J. Heckman, 1976. "The Common Structure of Statistical Models of Truncation, Sample Selection and Limited Dependent Variables and a Simple Estimator for Such Models," NBER Chapters,in: Annals of Economic and Social Measurement, Volume 5, number 4, pages 475-492 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John M. Barron & Bradley T. Ewing & Glen R. Waddell, 2000. "The Effects Of High School Athletic Participation On Education And Labor Market Outcomes," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(3), pages 409-421, August.
- John Cawley & Chad Meyerhoefer & David Newhouse, 2007.
"The impact of state physical education requirements on youth physical activity and overweight,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(12), pages 1287-1301.
- John Cawley & Chad D. Meyerhoefer & David Newhouse, 2005. "The Impact of State Physical Education Requirements on Youth Physical Activity and Overweight," NBER Working Papers 11411, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- K. E. McConnell, 1992. "On-Site Time in the Demand for Recreation," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 74(4), pages 918-925.
- Grossman, Michael, 1972. "On the Concept of Health Capital and the Demand for Health," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(2), pages 223-255, March-Apr.
- Chou, Shin-Yi & Grossman, Michael & Saffer, Henry, 2004.
"An economic analysis of adult obesity: results from the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 565-587, May.
- Shin-Yi Chou & Michael Grossman & Henry Saffer, 2002. "An Economic Analysis of Adult Obesity: Results from the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System," NBER Working Papers 9247, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Long, James E & Caudill, Steven B, 1991. "The Impact of Participation in Intercollegiate Athletics on Income and Graduation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(3), pages 525-531, August.
- Lisa Farrell & Michael A. Shields, 2002. "Investigating the economic and demographic determinants of sporting participation in England," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 165(2), pages 335-348.
- Heckman, James J, 1974. "Shadow Prices, Market Wages, and Labor Supply," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(4), pages 679-694, July.
- Eide, Eric R. & Ronan, Nick, 2001. "Is participation in high school athletics an investment or a consumption good?: Evidence from high school and beyond," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 431-442, October.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Muñiz, Cristina & Rodríguez, Plácido & Suárez, María J., 2014. "Sports and cultural habits by gender: An application using count data models," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 288-297.
- repec:wsi:serxxx:v:59:y:2014:i:02:n:s0217590814500179 is not listed on IDEAS
- Pawel Strawinski, 2011.
"Economic determinants of sport participation in Poland,"
Rivista di Diritto ed Economia dello Sport,
Centro di diritto e business dello Sport, vol. 6(3), pages 55-76, Febbraio.
- Paweł Strawiński, 2010. "Economic determinants of sport participation in Poland," Working Papers 2010-17, Faculty of Economic Sciences, University of Warsaw.
- repec:eid:wpaper:24/09 is not listed on IDEAS
- Virpi Kuvaja-Köllner & Hannu Valtonen & Pirjo Komulainen & Maija Hassinen & Rainer Rauramaa, 2013. "The impact of time cost of physical exercise on health outcomes by older adults: the DR’s EXTRA Study," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer;Deutsche Gesellschaft für Gesundheitsökonomie (DGGÖ), vol. 14(3), pages 471-479, June.
- Aida Isabel Tavares & Pedro Pita Barros, 2011. "Ex-ante Moral Hazard and Primary Prevention, evidence from Portugal," Working Papers de Economia (Economics Working Papers) 56, Departamento de Economia, Gestão e Engenharia Industrial, Universidade de Aveiro.
- Dawson, Peter & Downward, Paul, 2009. "Participation, Spectatorship and Media Coverage in Sport," Department of Economics Working Papers 16651, University of Bath, Department of Economics.
- Eisenberg Daniel & Okeke Edward, 2009. "Too Cold for a Jog? Weather, Exercise, and Socioeconomic Status," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 9(1), pages 1-32, June.
- Eberth, Barbara & Smith, Murray D., 2010. "Modelling the participation decision and duration of sporting activity in Scotland," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 822-834, July.
- PaÃ¡r, DÃ¡vid, 2013. "Differences In The Hungarian Householdsâ€™ Sport Expenditures," APSTRACT: Applied Studies in Agribusiness and Commerce, AGRIMBA, vol. 7(1).
- Themis Kokolakakis & Fernando Lera Lopez & Thanos Panagouleas, 2011. "Analysis of the Determinants of Sports Participation in Spain and England. Statistical, Economic Analysis and Policy Conclusions," Post-Print hal-00710058, HAL.
- Thibaut, Erik & Vos, Steven & Scheerder, Jeroen, 2014. "Hurdles for sports consumption? The determining factors of household sports expenditures," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 444-454.
- Downward, Paul & Lera-Lopez, Fernando & Rasciute, Simona, 2011. "The Zero-Inflated ordered probit approach to modelling sports participation," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 2469-2477.
- Nana Anokye & Subhash Pokhrel & Martin Buxton & Julia Fox-Rushby, 2012. "The demand for sports and exercise: results from an illustrative survey," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer;Deutsche Gesellschaft für Gesundheitsökonomie (DGGÖ), vol. 13(3), pages 277-287, June.
More about this item
Keywordsphysical activity; time allocation; health production;
- I20 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - General
- I12 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health Behavior
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-08-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-SOC-2006-08-26 (Social Norms & Social Capital)
- NEP-SPO-2006-08-26 (Sports & Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spe:wpaper:0613. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Victor Matheson). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/iaseeea.html .