Economic Determinants of Participation in Physical Activity and Sport
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Brad R. Humphreys & Jane E. Ruseski, 2006. "Economic Determinants of Participation in Physical Activity and Sport," IASE Conference Papers 0619, International Association of Sports Economists.
References listed on IDEAS
- James J. Heckman, 1976. "The Common Structure of Statistical Models of Truncation, Sample Selection and Limited Dependent Variables and a Simple Estimator for Such Models," NBER Chapters,in: Annals of Economic and Social Measurement, Volume 5, number 4, pages 475-492 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John M. Barron & Bradley T. Ewing & Glen R. Waddell, 2000. "The Effects Of High School Athletic Participation On Education And Labor Market Outcomes," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(3), pages 409-421, August.
- John Cawley & Chad Meyerhoefer & David Newhouse, 2007.
"The impact of state physical education requirements on youth physical activity and overweight,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(12), pages 1287-1301.
- John Cawley & Chad D. Meyerhoefer & David Newhouse, 2005. "The Impact of State Physical Education Requirements on Youth Physical Activity and Overweight," NBER Working Papers 11411, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- K. E. McConnell, 1992. "On-Site Time in the Demand for Recreation," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 74(4), pages 918-925.
- Grossman, Michael, 1972. "On the Concept of Health Capital and the Demand for Health," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(2), pages 223-255, March-Apr.
- Chou, Shin-Yi & Grossman, Michael & Saffer, Henry, 2004.
"An economic analysis of adult obesity: results from the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 565-587, May.
- Shin-Yi Chou & Michael Grossman & Henry Saffer, 2002. "An Economic Analysis of Adult Obesity: Results from the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System," NBER Working Papers 9247, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Long, James E & Caudill, Steven B, 1991. "The Impact of Participation in Intercollegiate Athletics on Income and Graduation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(3), pages 525-531, August.
- Lisa Farrell & Michael A. Shields, 2002. "Investigating the economic and demographic determinants of sporting participation in England," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 165(2), pages 335-348.
- Heckman, James J, 1974. "Shadow Prices, Market Wages, and Labor Supply," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(4), pages 679-694, July.
- Eide, Eric R. & Ronan, Nick, 2001. "Is participation in high school athletics an investment or a consumption good?: Evidence from high school and beyond," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 431-442, October.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Muñiz, Cristina & Rodríguez, Plácido & Suárez, María J., 2014. "Sports and cultural habits by gender: An application using count data models," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 288-297.
- Andrew K. G. Tan & Yanghao Wang & Steven T. Yen & Mustapha I. Feisul, 2016. "Physical Activity and Body Weight among Adults in Malaysia," Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 38(2), pages 318-333.
- repec:wsi:serxxx:v:59:y:2014:i:02:n:s0217590814500179 is not listed on IDEAS
- Pawel Strawinski, 2011.
"Economic determinants of sport participation in Poland,"
Rivista di Diritto ed Economia dello Sport,
Centro di diritto e business dello Sport, vol. 6(3), pages 55-76, Febbraio.
- Paweł Strawiński, 2010. "Economic determinants of sport participation in Poland," Working Papers 2010-17, Faculty of Economic Sciences, University of Warsaw.
- repec:eid:wpaper:24/09 is not listed on IDEAS
- Virpi Kuvaja-Köllner & Hannu Valtonen & Pirjo Komulainen & Maija Hassinen & Rainer Rauramaa, 2013. "The impact of time cost of physical exercise on health outcomes by older adults: the DR’s EXTRA Study," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer;Deutsche Gesellschaft für Gesundheitsökonomie (DGGÖ), vol. 14(3), pages 471-479, June.
- Aida Isabel Tavares & Pedro Pita Barros, 2011. "Ex-ante Moral Hazard and Primary Prevention, evidence from Portugal," Working Papers de Economia (Economics Working Papers) 56, Departamento de Economia, Gestão e Engenharia Industrial, Universidade de Aveiro.
- Dawson, Peter & Downward, Paul, 2009. "Participation, Spectatorship and Media Coverage in Sport," Department of Economics Working Papers 16651, University of Bath, Department of Economics.
- Eisenberg Daniel & Okeke Edward, 2009. "Too Cold for a Jog? Weather, Exercise, and Socioeconomic Status," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 9(1), pages 1-32, June.
- Themis Kokolakakis & Fernando Lera-López & Thanos Panagouleas, 2012. "Analysis of the determinants of sports participation in Spain and England," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(21), pages 2785-2798, July.
- Eberth, Barbara & Smith, Murray D., 2010. "Modelling the participation decision and duration of sporting activity in Scotland," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 822-834, July.
- PaÃ¡r, DÃ¡vid, 2013. "Differences In The Hungarian Householdsâ€™ Sport Expenditures," APSTRACT: Applied Studies in Agribusiness and Commerce, AGRIMBA, vol. 7(1).
- Themis Kokolakakis & Fernando Lera Lopez & Thanos Panagouleas, 2011. "Analysis of the Determinants of Sports Participation in Spain and England. Statistical, Economic Analysis and Policy Conclusions," Post-Print hal-00710058, HAL.
- Thibaut, Erik & Vos, Steven & Scheerder, Jeroen, 2014. "Hurdles for sports consumption? The determining factors of household sports expenditures," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 444-454.
- Downward, Paul & Lera-Lopez, Fernando & Rasciute, Simona, 2011. "The Zero-Inflated ordered probit approach to modelling sports participation," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 2469-2477.
- Nana Anokye & Subhash Pokhrel & Martin Buxton & Julia Fox-Rushby, 2012. "The demand for sports and exercise: results from an illustrative survey," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer;Deutsche Gesellschaft für Gesundheitsökonomie (DGGÖ), vol. 13(3), pages 277-287, June.
More about this item
Keywordsphysical activity; time allocation; health production;
- I20 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - General
- I12 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health Behavior
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-08-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-SOC-2006-08-26 (Social Norms & Social Capital)
- NEP-SPO-2006-08-26 (Sports & Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spe:wpaper:0613. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Victor Matheson). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/iaseeea.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.