Participation, Spectatorship and Media Coverage in Sport
This article considers the relationship between active participation in sport, sports spectatorship and television viewing habits using data from the 2005 DCMS Taking Part Survey. We find robust evidence that participation and sports spectatorship are symbiotically linked. In contrast, increase TV viewing per se leads to a reduction in participation.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Claverton Down, Bath BA2 7AY|
Phone: +44 (0)1225 383799
Fax: +44 (0)1225 323423
Web page: http://www.bath.ac.uk
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Forrest & Rob Simmons & Stefan Szymanski, 2004. "Broadcasting, Attendance and the Inefficiency of Cartels," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 24(3), pages 243-265, 05.
- KESENNE, Stefan, 1980.
"Substitution in consumption, an application to the allocation of time,"
SESO Working Papers
1980004, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Kesenne, Stefan, 1983. "Substitution in consumption : An application to the allocation of time," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 231-239.
- Jeffery Borland, 2003. "Demand for Sport," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(4), pages 478-502, Winter.
- David Forrest & Robert Simmons & Babatunde Buraimo, 2005.
"Outcome Uncertainty And The Couch Potato Audience,"
Scottish Journal of Political Economy,
Scottish Economic Society, vol. 52(4), pages 641-661, 09.
- Babatunde Buraimo, 2008. "Stadium attendance and television audience demand in English league football," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 29(6), pages 513-523.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521848053 is not listed on IDEAS
- Brad R. Humphreys & Jane E. Ruseski, 2006.
"Economic Determinants of Participation in Physical Activity and Sport,"
0613, International Association of Sports Economists;North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Brad R. Humphreys & Jane E. Ruseski, 2006. "Economic Determinants of Participation in Physical Activity and Sport," IASE Conference Papers 0619, International Association of Sports Economists.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eid:wpaper:16651. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Research Publications Librarian)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.