A Unifying Framework for Analysing Common Cyclical Features in Cointegrated Time Series
This paper provides a unifying framework in which the coexistence of different form of common cyclical features can be tested and imposed to a cointegrated VAR model. This goal is reached by introducing a new notion of common cyclical features, namely the weak form of polynomial serial correlation common features, which encompasses most of the previous ones. Statistical inference is obtained by means of reduced-rank regression, and alternative forms of common cyclical features are detected by means of tests for over-identifying restrictions on the parameters of the new model. Some iterative estimation procedures are then proposed for simultaneously modelling different forms of common features. Concepts and methods are illustrated by an empirical investigation of the US business cycle indicators.
|Date of creation:||21 May 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ceistorvergata.itEmail:
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: CEIS - Centre for Economic and International Studies - Faculty of Economics - University of Rome "Tor Vergata" - Via Columbia, 2 00133 Roma|
Web: http://www.ceistorvergata.it Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lucas, Robert E., 1977. "Understanding business cycles," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 7-29, January.
- Mizon, Grayham E., 1995. "A simple message for autocorrelation correctors: Don't," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 267-288, September.
- Vahid, F & Engle, Robert F, 1993. "Common Trends and Common Cycles," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(4), pages 341-60, Oct.-Dec..
- Paruolo Paolo, 2004.
"Common trends and cycles in I(2) VAR systems,"
Economics and Quantitative Methods
qf0217tris, Department of Economics, University of Insubria.
- Cubadda, Gianluca & Omtzigt, Pieter, 2005.
"Small-sample improvements in the statistical analysis of seasonally cointegrated systems,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 333-348, April.
- Cubadda, Gianluca & Omtzigt, Pieter, 2003. "Small Sample Improvements in the Statistical Analysis of Seasonally Cointegrated Systems," Economics & Statistics Discussion Papers esdp03012, University of Molise, Dept. EGSeI.
- Paruolo Paolo, 2003. "Common dynamics in I(1) VAR systems," Economics and Quantitative Methods qf0316, Department of Economics, University of Insubria.
- Beveridge, Stephen & Nelson, Charles R., 1981. "A new approach to decomposition of economic time series into permanent and transitory components with particular attention to measurement of the `business cycle'," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 151-174.
- repec:fgv:epgrbe:v:47:n:2:a:1 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hecq, Alain & Palm, Franz C. & Urbain, Jean-Pierre, 2006. "Common cyclical features analysis in VAR models with cointegration," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 132(1), pages 117-141, May.
- Proietti, Tommaso, 1997. "Short-Run Dynamics in Cointegrated Systems," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 59(3), pages 405-22, August.
- Paruolo Paolo, 2006. "Finite sample comparison of alternative tests on the rank of a cointegration submatrix," Economics and Quantitative Methods qf0606, Department of Economics, University of Insubria.
- Bai, Jushan & Lumsdaine, Robin L & Stock, James H, 1998.
"Testing for and Dating Common Breaks in Multivariate Time Series,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 65(3), pages 395-432, July.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to demonstrate Bai, Lumsdaine, Stock common breaks in VAR," Statistical Software Components RTZ00171, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Johansen, Søren & Juselius, Katarina, 1992. "Testing structural hypotheses in a multivariate cointegration analysis of the PPP and the UIP for UK," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1-3), pages 211-244.
- Niels Haldrup & Svend Hylleberg & Gabriel Pons & Jaume Rosselló & Andreu Sansó, 2005.
"Common Periodic Correlation Features and the Interaction of Stocks and Flows in Daily Airport Data,"
Economics Working Papers
2005-03, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Haldrup, Niels & Hylleberg, Svend & Pons, Gabriel & Sanso, Andreu, 2007. "Common Periodic Correlation Features and the Interaction of Stocks and Flows in Daily Airport Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 25, pages 21-32, January.
- Cubadda, Gianluca, 2004.
"A Reduced Rank Regression Approach to Coincident and Leading Indexes Building,"
Economics & Statistics Discussion Papers
esdp04022, University of Molise, Dept. EGSeI.
- Gianluca Cubadda, 2007. "A Reduced Rank Regression Approach to Coincident and Leading Indexes Building," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 69(2), pages 271-292, 04.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Identifying restrictions of linear equations with applications to simultaneous equations and cointegration," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 111-132, September.
- Cubadda, Gianluca, 1999. "Common Cycles in Seasonal Non-stationary Time Series," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(3), pages 273-91, May-June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rtv:ceisrp:102. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Barbara Piazzi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.