A characterization of vector autoregressive processes with common cyclical features
This paper presents necessary and sufficient conditions for the existence of common cyclical features in Vector Auto Regressive (VAR) processes integrated of order 0, 1, 2, where the common cyclical features correspond to common serial correlation (CS), commonality in the final equations (CE) and co-dependence (CD). The results are based on local rank factorizations of the reversed AR polynomial around the poles of its inverse. All processes with CS structures are found to present also CE structures and vice versa. The presence of CD structures, instead, implies the presence of both CS and CE structures, but not vice versa. Characterizations of the CS, CE, CD linear combinations are given in terms of linear subspaces defined in the local rank factorizations.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Campbell, John & Shiller, Robert, 1987.
"Cointegration and Tests of Present Value Models,"
3122490, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- John Y. Campbell & Robert J. Shiller, 1986. "Cointegration and Tests of Present Value Models," NBER Working Papers 1885, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Y. Campbell & Robert J. Shiller, 1986. "Cointegration and Tests of Present Value Models," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 785, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Kugler, Peter & Neusser, K, 1993.
"International Real Interest Rate Equalization: A Multivariate Time-Series Approach,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(2), pages 163-74, April-Jun.
- Peter KUGLER & Klaus NEUSSER, 1990. "International Real Interest Rate Equalization: A Multivariate Time Series Approach," Vienna Economics Papers vie9003, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- Giuseppe Cavaliere & Luca Fanelli & Attilio Gardini, 2006.
"International dynamic risk sharing,"
Quaderni di Dipartimento
1, Department of Statistics, University of Bologna.
- Paruolo, Paolo, 2005. "Solution to Problem Posed in Volume 20(3): 04.3.1. An I(2) Model for VAR(1) Processes Solution," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(03), pages 665-666, June.
- Cubadda, Gianluca & Hecq, Alain, 2001. "On non-contemporaneous short-run co-movements," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 73(3), pages 389-397, December.
- Christoph Schleicher, 2007.
"Codependence in cointegrated autoregressive models,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(1), pages 137-159.
- Christoph Schleicher, 2004. "Codependence in Cointegrated Autoregressive Models," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 286, Society for Computational Economics.
- Vahid, Farshid & Engle, Robert F., 1997. "Codependent cycles," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 199-221, October.
- Zellner, Arnold & Palm, Franz, 1974.
"Time series analysis and simultaneous equation econometric models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 17-54, May.
- ZELLNER, Arnold & PALM, Franz, . "Time series analysis and simultaneous equation econometric models," CORE Discussion Papers RP 173, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Paruolo Paolo, 2004.
"Common trends and cycles in I(2) VAR systems,"
Economics and Quantitative Methods
qf0217tris, Department of Economics, University of Insubria.
- Robert G. King & Charles I. Plosser & James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1987.
"Stochastic Trends and Economic Fluctuations,"
NBER Working Papers
2229, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alain Hecq & Franz Palm & Jean-Pierre Urbain, 2002.
"Separation, Weak Exogeneity, And P-T Decomposition In Cointegrated Var Systems With Common Features,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(3), pages 273-307.
- Alain Hecq & Franz Palm & Jean-Pierre Urbain, 2002. "Separation, Weak Exogeneity and P-T Decomposition in Cointegrated VAR Systems with Common Features," CESifo Working Paper Series 660, CESifo Group Munich.
- Vahid, Farshid & Issler, Joao Victor, 2002.
"The importance of common cyclical features in VAR analysis: a Monte-Carlo study,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 109(2), pages 341-363, August.
- Vahid, F. & Issler, J.V., 2001. "The Importance Of Common Cyclical Features in VAR Analysis: A Monte-Carlo Study," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 2/01, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Vahid, Farshid & Issler, João Victor, 2001. "The importance of common cyclical features in VAR analysis: a Monte-Carlo study," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 417, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015.
"Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Hall, Robert E, 1978. "Stochastic Implications of the Life Cycle-Permanent Income Hypothesis: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(6), pages 971-87, December.
- Cubadda Gianluca & Hecq Alain & Palm Franz C., 2007. "Studying Co-movements in Large Multivariate Models Without Multivariate Modelling," Research Memorandum 032, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Hecq, Alain & Palm, Franz C. & Urbain, Jean-Pierre, 2006. "Common cyclical features analysis in VAR models with cointegration," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 132(1), pages 117-141, May.
- Franchi, Massimo, 2010. "A Representation Theory For Polynomial Cofractionality In Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(04), pages 1201-1217, August.
- Marco Lippi & Lucrezia Reichlin, 1994.
"Common and uncommon trends and cycles,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/10153, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Paruolo, Paolo, 2004. "04.3.1 An I(2) Model for VAR(1) Processes," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(03), pages 639-640, June.
- Engle, Robert F & Kozicki, Sharon, 1993. "Testing for Common Features: Reply," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(4), pages 393-95, October.
- Massimo Franchi, .
"The Integration Order of Vector Autoregressive Processes,"
06-05, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Franchi, Massimo, 2007. "The Integration Order Of Vector Autoregressive Processes," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(03), pages 546-553, June.
- Mellander, Erik & Vredin, A & Warne, A, 1992. "Stochastic Trends and Economic Fluctuations in a Small Open Economy," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(4), pages 369-94, Oct.-Dec..
- Campbell, John Y. & Mankiw, N. Gregory, 1990.
"Permanent Income, Current Income, and Consumption,"
3353762, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Johansen, Søren, 1992. "A Representation of Vector Autoregressive Processes Integrated of Order 2," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(02), pages 188-202, June.
- Robert F. Engle & Sharon Kozicki, 1990.
"Testing For Common Features,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0091, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Søren Johansen, 2009. "Representation of Cointegrated Autoregressive Processes with Application to Fractional Processes," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(1-3), pages 121-145.
- repec:fgv:epgrbe:v:47:n:2:a:1 is not listed on IDEAS
- Paruolo, Paolo & Rahbek, Anders, 1999. "Weak exogeneity in I(2) VAR systems," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 281-308, December.
- Paruolo Paolo, 2003. "Common dynamics in I(1) VAR systems," Economics and Quantitative Methods qf0316, Department of Economics, University of Insubria.
- Vahid, F & Engle, Robert F, 1993. "Common Trends and Common Cycles," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(4), pages 341-60, Oct.-Dec..
- Gourieroux, Christian & Peaucelle, Irina, 1989. "Detecting a long run relationship (with an application to the p.p.p. hypothesis)," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 8902, CEPREMAP.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:econom:v:163:y:2011:i:1:p:105-117. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.