Studying co-movements in large multivariate data prior to multivariate modelling
For non-stationary vector autoregressive models (VAR hereafter, or VAR with moving average, VARMA hereafter), we show that the presence of common cyclical features or cointegration leads to a reduction of the order of the implied univariate autoregressive-integrated-moving average (ARIMA hereafter) models. This finding can explain why we identify parsimonious univariate ARIMA models in applied research although VAR models of typical order and dimension used in macroeconometrics imply non-parsimonious univariate ARIMA representations. Next, we develop a strategy for studying interactions between variables prior to possibly modelling them in a multivariate setting. Indeed, the similarity of the autoregressive roots will be informative about the presence of co-movements in a set of multiple time series. Our results justify both the use of a panel setup with homogeneous autoregression and heterogeneous cross-correlated vector moving average errors and a factor structure, and the use of cross-sectional aggregates of ARIMA series to estimate the homogeneous autoregression.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maravall, Agustin & Mathis, Alexandre, 1994. "Encompassing univariate models in multivariate time series : A case study," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 197-233, April.
- Vahid, F & Engle, Robert F, 1993. "Common Trends and Common Cycles," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(4), pages 341-360, Oct.-Dec..
- Centoni, Marco & Cubadda, Gianluca & Hecq, Alain, 2007.
"Common shocks, common dynamics, and the international business cycle,"
Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 149-166, January.
- Marco Centoni & Gianluca Cubadda & Alain Hecq, 2008. "Common Shocks, Common Dynamics, and the International Business Cycle," CEIS Research Paper 106, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 07 Jul 2008.
- Centoni, Marco & Cubadda, Gianluca & Hecq, Alain, 2003. "Common Shocks, Common Dynamics, and the International Business Cycle," Economics & Statistics Discussion Papers esdp03007, University of Molise, Dept. EGSeI.
- Hecq, Alain & Palm, Franz C. & Urbain, Jean-Pierre, 2006. "Common cyclical features analysis in VAR models with cointegration," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 132(1), pages 117-141, May.
- Cubadda, Gianluca & Hecq, Alain, 2001. "On non-contemporaneous short-run co-movements," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 73(3), pages 389-397, December.
- Gianluca Cubadda, 2007.
"A Unifying Framework for Analysing Common Cyclical Features in Cointegrated Time Series,"
CEIS Research Paper
102, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
- Cubadda, Gianluca, 2007. "A unifying framework for analysing common cyclical features in cointegrated time series," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 896-906, October.
- ZELLNER, Arnold & PALM, Franz, "undated".
"Time series analysis and simultaneous equation econometric models,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
173, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Zellner, Arnold & Palm, Franz, 1974. "Time series analysis and simultaneous equation econometric models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 17-54, May.
- Christoph Schleicher, 2004.
"Codependence in Cointegrated Autoregressive Models,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2004
286, Society for Computational Economics.
- Christoph Schleicher, 2007. "Codependence in cointegrated autoregressive models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(1), pages 137-159.
- repec:fgv:epgrbe:v:47:n:2:a:1 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2001.
"A PANIC Attack on Unit Roots and Cointegration,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
519, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Vahid, Farshid & Engle, Robert F., 1997. "Codependent cycles," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 199-221, October.
- Alain Hecq & Franz Palm & Jean-Pierre Urbain, 2002.
"Separation, Weak Exogeneity, And P-T Decomposition In Cointegrated Var Systems With Common Features,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(3), pages 273-307.
- Alain Hecq & Franz Palm & Jean-Pierre Urbain, 2002. "Separation, Weak Exogeneity and P-T Decomposition in Cointegrated VAR Systems with Common Features," CESifo Working Paper Series 660, CESifo Group Munich.
- Robert F. Engle & Sharon Kozicki, 1990.
"Testing For Common Features,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0091, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:cor:louvrp:-247 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mario Forni & Marc Hallin & Lucrezia Reichlin & Marco Lippi, 2000.
"The generalised dynamic factor model: identification and estimation,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/10143, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Mario Forni & Marc Hallin & Marco Lippi & Lucrezia Reichlin, 2000. "The Generalized Dynamic-Factor Model: Identification And Estimation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(4), pages 540-554, November.
- Forni, Mario & Hallin, Marc & Lippi, Marco & Reichlin, Lucrezia, 1999. "The Generalized Dynamic Factor Model: Identification and Estimation," CEPR Discussion Papers 2338, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Brüggemann, Ralf & Krolzig, Hans-Martin & Lütkepohl, Helmut, 2002.
"Comparison of model reduction methods for VAR processes,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
2002,80, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Ralf Brüggemann & Hans-Martin Krolzig & Helmut Lütkepohl, 2003. "Comparison of Model Reduction Methods for VAR Processes," Economics Papers 2003-W13, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Ralf BRUEGGEMANN & Hans-Martin KROLZIG & Helmut LUETKEPOHL, 2002. "Comparison of Model Reduction Methods for VAR Processes," Economics Working Papers ECO2002/19, European University Institute.
- ZELLNER, Arnold & PALM, Franz, "undated". "Time series and structural analysis of monetary models of the U.S. economy," CORE Discussion Papers RP 247, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bénédicte Vidaillet & V. D'Estaintot & P. Abécassis, 2005. "Introduction," Post-Print hal-00287137, HAL.
- Palm, Franz, 1977.
"On univariate time series methods and simultaneous equation econometric models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 379-388, May.
- PALM, Franz, "undated". "On univariate time series methods and simultaneous equation econometric models," CORE Discussion Papers RP 293, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Cubadda, Gianluca & Hecq, Alain & Palm, Franz C., 2008.
"Macro-panels and reality,"
Elsevier, vol. 99(3), pages 537-540, June.
- Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 2002. "Macroeconomic Forecasting Using Diffusion Indexes," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(2), pages 147-162, April.
- Palm, Franz & Zellner, Arnold, 1980.
"Large sample estimation and testing procedures for dynamic equation systems,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 251-283, April.
- Palm, Franz & Zellner, Arnold, 1981. "Large sample estimation and testing procedures for dynamic equation systems," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 131-138, September.
- Palm, F.C. & Zellner, A., 1978. "Large sample estimation and testing procedures for dynamic equation systems," Serie Research Memoranda 0010, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Wallis, Kenneth F, 1977. "Multiple Time Series Analysis and the Final Form of Econometric Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(6), pages 1481-1497, September.
- Zellner,Arnold & Palm,Franz C. (ed.), 2004. "The Structural Econometric Time Series Analysis Approach," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521814072, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:econom:v:148:y:2009:i:1:p:25-35. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.