The Generalized Dynamic Factor Model: Identification and Estimation
This paper analyzes identification conditions, and proposes an estimator, for a dynamic factor model where the idiosyncratic components are allowed to be mutually non-orthogonal. This model, which we call the generalized dynamic factor model, is novel to the literature, and generalizes the static approximate factor model of Chamberlain and Rothschild (1983), as well as the exact factor model à la Sargent and Sims (1977). We propose an estimator of the common components and prove convergence as both time and cross-sectional size go to infinity at appropriate rates. Simulations yield encouraging results in small samples. We use our model to construct an index of the state of the economy for the European currency area. Such an index is defined as the common component of real GDP within a model including several macroeconomic variables for each European country.
|Date of creation:||Dec 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:oup:restud:v:65:y:1998:i:3:p:453-73 is not listed on IDEAS
- Forni, Mario & Reichlin, Lucrezia, 1997.
"National Policies and Local Economies: Europe and the United States,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1632, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lucrezia Reichlin & Mario Forni, 1999. "National policies and local economies: Europe and the United States," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/10181, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Forni, Mario & Lippi, Marco, 1997. "Aggregation and the Microfoundations of Dynamic Macroeconomics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198288008, July.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1989.
"New Indexes of Coincident and Leading Economic Indicators,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1989, Volume 4, pages 351-409
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stock, J.H. & Watson, M.W., 1989. "New Indexes Of Coincident And Leading Economic Indicators," Papers 178d, Harvard - J.F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Arthur F. Burns & Wesley C. Mitchell, 1946. "Measuring Business Cycles," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number burn46-1, December.
- Forni, Mario & Lippi, Marco, 2001.
"The Generalized Dynamic Factor Model: Representation Theory,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(06), pages 1113-1141, December.
- Forni, Mario & Lippi, Marco, 2000. "The Generalized Dynamic Factor Model: Representation Theory," CEPR Discussion Papers 2509, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mario Forni & Lucrezia Reichlin, 1996.
"Dynamic common factors in large cross-sections,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/10149, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1983. "Funds, Factors, and Diversification in Arbitrage Pricing Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(5), pages 1305-23, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:2338. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.