Repowering of Wind Turbines: Economics and Optimal Timing
For more than 20 years now, wind power has been one of the main renewable energy sources, especially in countries like Denmark, one of the pioneer countries in developing onshore wind turbines. Whereas offshore wind utilization still has a high risk profile the repowering of wind converter offers an interesting alternative to further increase the use of renewable energy. This paper first provides an overview of the historical development of wind utilization in Denmark, with a special focus on incentive systems. Second, we study the economics and optimal timing of repowering for the case of Danish wind farms. We use a two-factor real options modeling framework following the Mc Donald and Siegel (1986) approach, which allows consideration of the investment costs as well as revenues, both following a continuous time, stochastic process. In a next step, a Monte Carlo Simulation is applied to determine the probability of success of repowering for each year. Finally, we discuss the results and highlight the effects necessary to increase repowering activities. We find that until now, the high uncertainty in terms of revenues hinders the further development of repowering in Denmark and lowers the probability of success significantly, while the selling price of the used turbine has only a minor effect on the optimal timing of repowering. Therefore, wind developers should argue for a larger stake of secured parts in revenues, achievable via higher governmental guaranteed incentives.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||revised July 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eonerc.rwth-aachen.de/fcn|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dixit, Avinash K, 1989.
"Entry and Exit Decisions under Uncertainty,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(3), pages 620-38, June.
- Cox, John C. & Ross, Stephen A. & Rubinstein, Mark, 1979. "Option pricing: A simplified approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 229-263, September.
- Sperling, Karl & Hvelplund, Frede & Mathiesen, Brian Vad, 2010. "Evaluation of wind power planning in Denmark – Towards an integrated perspective," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(12), pages 5443-5454.
- Robert S. Pindyck, 1999.
"The Long-Run Evolutions of Energy Prices,"
The Energy Journal,
International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 1-27.
- Trigeorgis, Lenos, 1993. "The Nature of Option Interactions and the Valuation of Investments with Multiple Real Options," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(01), pages 1-20, March.
- Zambujal-Oliveira, João & Duque, João, 2011. "Operational asset replacement strategy: A real options approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 210(2), pages 318-325, April.
- George A. Akerlof, 1970. "The Market for "Lemons": Quality Uncertainty and the Market Mechanism," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 84(3), pages 488-500.
- Ian M. Dobbs, 2004. "Replacement Investment: Optimal Economic Life Under Uncertainty," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(5-6), pages 729-757.
- Wickart, Marcel & Madlener, Reinhard, 2007.
"Optimal technology choice and investment timing: A stochastic model of industrial cogeneration vs. heat-only production,"
Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 934-952, July.
- Reinhard Madlener & Marcel Wickart, 2004. "Optimal Technology Choice and Investment Timing: A Stochastic Model of Industrial Cogeneration vs. Heat-Only Production," CEPE Working paper series 04-37, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Robert McDonald & Daniel Siegel, 1986. "The Value of Waiting to Invest," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 101(4), pages 707-727.
- Rohlfs, Wilko & Madlener, Reinhard, 2010. "Valuation of CCS-Ready Coal-Fired Power Plants: A Multi-Dimensional Real Options Approach," FCN Working Papers 7/2010, E.ON Energy Research Center, Future Energy Consumer Needs and Behavior (FCN).
- Agnolucci, Paolo, 2007. "Wind electricity in Denmark: A survey of policies, their effectiveness and factors motivating their introduction," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 11(5), pages 951-963, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:fcnwpa:2011_019. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hendrik Schmitz)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.