Economic Integration in East Asia: Trends, Prospects, and a Possible Roadmap
This paper reviews trends in East Asian regionalism in the areas of trade and investment, money and finance, and infrastructure. It presents various measures of trade and financial integration. An important finding of the paper is that increasing trade and financial integration in the region is now starting to lead to a synchronization of business cycles in a selected group of countries, further enhancing the case for monetary integration among these countries. The paper also outlines a roadmap for East Asian integration.
|Date of creation:||01 Jul 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 789, Manila|
Fax: (63-2) 636-2648
Web page: http://www.adb.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kawai, Masahiro, 2005. "East Asian economic regionalism: progress and challenges," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 29-55, February.
- Crosby, Mark, 2003.
"Business cycle correlations in Asia-Pacific,"
Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 35-44, July.
- Brian M. Doyle & Jon Faust, 2003.
"Breaks in the variability and co-movement of G-7 economic growth,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
786, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Brian M. Doyle & Jon Faust, 2005. "Breaks in the Variability and Comovement of G-7 Economic Growth," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 87(4), pages 721-740, November.
- Tamim Bayoumi & Paolo Mauro, 2001.
"The Suitability of ASEAN for a Regional Currency Arrangement,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(7), pages 933-954, 07.
- Paolo Mauro & Tamim Bayoumi, 1999. "The Suitability of ASEAN for a Regional Currency Arrangement," IMF Working Papers 99/162, International Monetary Fund.
- Barry Eichengreen, 2006. "The Parallel-Currency Approach to Asian Monetary Integration," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(2), pages 432-436, May.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & Andrew K. Rose, 1996.
"The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria,"
NBER Working Papers
5700, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A & Rose, Andrew K, 1998. "The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(449), pages 1009-25, July.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A & Rose, Andrew K, 1996. "The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria," CEPR Discussion Papers 1473, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kwanho Shin & Yunjong Wang, 2003.
"Trade Integration and Business Cycle Synchronization in East Asia,"
ISER Discussion Paper
0574, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Kwanho Shin & Yunjong Wang, 2003. "Trade Integration and Business Cycle Synchronization in East Asia," Asian Economic Papers, MIT Press, vol. 2(3), pages 1-20.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:adbrei:0002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ivan B. de Leon)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.