Regional Effects of a Cluster-oriented policy measure. The Case of the InnoRegio program in Germany
This paper examines regional effects of the InnoRegio program, which was conducted by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research. The InnoRegio program has been a new tool of innovation policy with the aim to improve innovativeness in East Germany on the basis of prosperous regional networks. Besides the direct support of networks and innovation activities, the program was meant to trigger the regional development in East Germany. While existing studies examine whether the development of networks or cluster was successful, this paper focuses on the investigation of regional economic development. Using regional data, especially on employment and patents, we examine whether the involved industries have developed better in supported regions than in other (East) German regions. Developments are investigated for a time span including years before, during and after the policy measure. We find some positive effects in the regional development that can be assigned to the InnoRegio program.
|Date of creation:||04 Jan 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Deutschhausstrasse 10, 35032 Marburg|
Web page: http://www.uni-marburg.de/fb19/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aschhoff, Birgit & Astor, Michael & Crass, Dirk & Eckert, Thomas & Heinrich, Stephan & Licht, Georg & Rammer, Christian & Riesenberg, Daniel & Rüffer, Niclas & Strohmeyer, Robert & Tonoyan, Vartuhi & , 2012. "Systemevaluierung "KMU-innovativ"," ZEW Dokumentationen 12-04, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Horst Rottmann & Monika Ruschinski, 1997. "Sind Innovationen beschÃ¤ftigungswirksam?," ifo Schnelldienst, ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 50(17-18), pages 21-26, October.
- Marco Bellandi & Annalisa Caloffi, 2009. "An Analysis of Regional Policies Promoting Networks for Innovation," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(1), pages 67-82, July.
- Harrison, Rupert & Jaumandreu, Jordi & Mairesse, Jacques & Peters, Bettina, 2014.
"Does innovation stimulate employment? A firm-level analysis using comparable micro-data from four European countries,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 29-43.
- Harrison, Rupert & Jaumandreu Balanzo, Jordi & Mairesse, Jacques & Peters, Bettina, 2008. "Does Innovation Stimulate Employment? A Firm-Level Analysis Using Comparable Micro-Data From Four European Countries," ZEW Discussion Papers 08-111, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Rupert Harrison & Jordi Jaumandreu & Jacques Mairesse & Bettina Peters, 2008. "Does Innovation Stimulate Employment? A Firm-Level Analysis Using Comparable Micro-Data from Four European Countries," NBER Working Papers 14216, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fier, Andreas & Heger, Diana & Hussinger, Katrin, 2005. "Die Wirkungsanalyse staatlicher Förderprogramme durch den Einsatz von Matching- und Selektionsmodellen am Beispiel der Fertigungstechnik," ZEW Discussion Papers 05-09, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Slavtchev, Viktor & Fritsch, Michael, 2005. "The Role of Regional Knowledge Sources for Innovation: An Empirical Assessment," Freiberg Working Papers 2005,15, TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Kevin Mole & Mark Hart & Stephen Roper & David Saal, 2008. "Differential Gains from Business Link Support and Advice: A Treatment Effects Approach," Environment and Planning C, , vol. 26(2), pages 315-334, April.
- Kevin Mole & Mark Hart & Stephen Roper & David Saal, 2008. "Differential gains from Business Link support and advice: a treatment effects approach," Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 26(2), pages 315-334, April.
- Per Lundequist & Dominic Power, 2002. "Putting Porter into Practice? Practices of Regional Cluster Building: Evidence from Sweden," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(6), pages 685-704, September.
- Falck, Oliver & Heblich, Stephan & Kipar, Stefan, 2010. "Industrial innovation: Direct evidence from a cluster-oriented policy," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 574-582, November.
- Falck, Oliver & Heblich, Stephan & Kipar, Stefan, 2010. "Industrial innovation: Direct evidence from a cluster-oriented policy," Munich Reprints in Economics 20542, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Nishimura, Junichi & Okamuro, Hiroyuki, 2011. "Subsidy and networking: The effects of direct and indirect support programs of the cluster policy," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(5), pages 714-727, June.
- Nishimura, Junichi & Okamuro, Hiroyuki, 2012. "Subsidy and networking: The effects of direct and indirect support programs of the cluster policy," Working Paper Series 22, Center for Interfirm Network, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Fromhold-Eisebith, Martina & Eisebith, Gunter, 2005. "How to institutionalize innovative clusters? Comparing explicit top-down and implicit bottom-up approaches," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1250-1268, October.
- Eickelpasch, Alexander & Fritsch, Michael, 2005. "Contests for cooperation--A new approach in German innovation policy," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1269-1282, October.
- Alexander Eickelpasch & Michael Fritsch, 2005. "Contests for Cooperation: A New Approach in German Innovation Policy," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 478, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Eickelpasch, Alexander & Fritsch, Michael, 2005. "Contests for Cooperation: A New Approach in German Innovation Policy," Freiberg Working Papers 2005,03, TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Alexander Eickelpasch & Ingo Pfeiffer, 2004. "InnoRegio: Unternehmen beurteilen die Wirkung des Förderprogramms insgesamt positiv," DIW Wochenbericht, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 71(23), pages 331-337.
- Ron Martin & Peter Sunley, 2003. "Deconstructing clusters: chaotic concept or policy panacea?," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 3(1), pages 5-35, January.
- Ron Martin & Peter Sunley, 2002. "Deconstructing Clusters: Chaotic Concept or Policy Panacea," Working Papers wp244, Centre for Business Research, University of Cambridge.
- Susan E Cozzens & Kamau Bobb & Isabel Bortagaray, 2002. "Evaluating the distributional consequences of science and technology policies and programs," Research Evaluation, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(2), pages 101-107, August.
- Thomas Brenner & André Mühlig, 2007. "Factors and Mechanisms Causing the Emergence of Local Industrial Clusters - A Meta-Study of 159 Cases," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2007-23, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Erik Arnold, 2004. "Evaluating research and innovation policy: a systems world needs systems evaluations," Research Evaluation, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(1), pages 3-17, April.
- Fromhold-Eisebith Martina & Eisebith Günter, 2008. "Clusterförderung auf dem Prüfstand," Zeitschrift für Wirtschaftsgeographie, De Gruyter, vol. 52(1), pages 79-94, October.
- Bianchi, Patrizio & Bellini, Nicola, 1991. "Public policies for local networks of innovators," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 487-497, October.
- Dohse, Dirk, 2000. "Technology policy and the regions -- the case of the BioRegio contest," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(9), pages 1111-1133, December.
- Christian Longhi, 1999. "Networks, Collective Learning and Technology Development in Innovative High Technology Regions: The Case of Sophia-Antipolis," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(4), pages 333-342.
- Eickelpasch, Alexander & Kauffeld, Martina & Pfeiffer, Ingo, 2002. "The InnoRegio-program: a new way to promote regional innovation networks - empirical results of the complementary research -," ERSA conference papers ersa02p262, European Regional Science Association.
- Georghiou, Luke & Roessner, David, 2000. "Evaluating technology programs: tools and methods," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(4-5), pages 657-678, April.
- Mark Lorenzen, 2001. "Localized Learning and Policy: Academic Advice on Enhancing Regional Competitiveness through Learning," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(2), pages 163-185, March.
- Brown, Marilyn A. & Curlee, T. Randall & Elliott, Steven R., 1995. "Evaluating technology innovation programs: the use of comparison groups to identify impacts," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 669-684, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pum:wpaper:2013-05. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christoph Mengs)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.