Deconstructing Clusters: Chaotic Concept or Policy Panacea
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Ron Martin & Peter Sunley, 2003. "Deconstructing clusters: chaotic concept or policy panacea?," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 3(1), pages 5-35, January.
References listed on IDEAS
- Belleflamme, Paul & Picard, Pierre & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 2000.
"An Economic Theory of Regional Clusters,"
Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 158-184, July.
- BELLEFLAMME, Paul & PICARD, Pierre & THISSE, Jacques-François, 2000. "An economic theory of regional clusters," LIDAM Reprints CORE 1464, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Paul Almeida & Bruce Kogut, 1999. "Localization of Knowledge and the Mobility of Engineers in Regional Networks," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(7), pages 905-917, July.
- Julian Birkinshaw & Neil Hood, 2000. "Characteristics of Foreign Subsidiaries in Industry Clusters," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 31(1), pages 141-154, March.
- Catherine Beaudry, 2001. "Entry, Growth and Patenting in Industrial Clusters: A Study of the Aerospace Industry in the UK," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(3), pages 405-436.
- Audretsch, David B & Feldman, Maryann P, 1996. "R&D Spillovers and the Geography of Innovation and Production," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(3), pages 630-640, June.
- Swann, G. M. Peter & Prevezer, Martha & Stout, David (ed.), 1998. "The Dynamics of Industrial Clustering: International Comparisons in Computing and Biotechnology," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198289593, November.
- G. M. Peter Swann & Rui Baptista, 1999. "A comparison of clustering dynamics in the US and UK computer industries," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 373-399.
- Audretsch, David B, 1998.
"Agglomeration and the Location of Innovative Activity,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(2), pages 18-29, Summer.
- Audretsch, David B, 1998. "Agglomeration and the Location of Innovative Activity," CEPR Discussion Papers 1974, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dan Johansson & Dilek Cetindamar & Bo Carlsson & Pontus Braunerhjelm, 2000. "The old and the new: the evolution of polymer and biomedical clusters in Ohio and Sweden," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 10(5), pages 471-488.
- Best, Michael, 2001. "The New Competitive Advantage: The Renewal of American Industry," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198297451, November.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Breschi, Stefano & Lissoni, Francesco, 2001.
"Knowledge Spillovers and Local Innovation Systems: A Critical Survey,"
Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(4), pages 975-1005, December.
- Breschi, Stefano & Lissoni, Francesco, 2000. "Knowledge Spillovers And Local Innovation Systems: A Critical Survey," ERSA conference papers ersa00p362, European Regional Science Association.
- Stefano Breschi & Francesco Lissoni, 2001. "Knowledge spillovers and local innovation systems: a critical survey," LIUC Papers in Economics 84, Cattaneo University (LIUC).
- Ashish Arora & Sharon Belenzon & Honggi Lee, 2018.
"Reversed citations and the localization of knowledge spillovers,"
Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(3), pages 495-521.
- Ashish Arora & Sharon Belenzon & Honggi Lee, 2017. "Reversed Citations and the Localization of Knowledge Spillovers," NBER Working Papers 23036, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gilbert, Brett Anitra & McDougall, Patricia P. & Audretsch, David B., 2008. "Clusters, knowledge spillovers and new venture performance: An empirical examination," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 405-422, July.
- Delgado, Mercedes & Porter, Michael E. & Stern, Scott, 2014.
"Clusters, convergence, and economic performance,"
Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 43(10), pages 1785-1799.
- Mercedes Delgado & Michael Porter & Scott Stern, 2010. "Clusters, Convergence, and Economic Performance," Working Papers 10-34, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Mercedes Delgado & Michael E. Porter & Scott Stern, 2012. "Clusters, Convergence, and Economic Performance," NBER Working Papers 18250, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Filip De Beule & Ilke Van Beveren, 2008. "Product innovation and renewal: foreign firms and clusters in Belgium," LICOS Discussion Papers 22709, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Thomas Doring & Jan Schnellenbach, 2006.
"What do we know about geographical knowledge spillovers and regional growth?: A survey of the literature,"
Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(3), pages 375-395.
- Döring, Thomas & Schnellenbach, Jan, 2004. "What Do We Know About Geographical Knowledge Spillovers and Regional Growth? A Survey of the Literature," Research Notes 14, Deutsche Bank Research.
- Gilbert, Brett Anitra, 2012. "Creative destruction: Identifying its geographic origins," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 734-742.
- Christos Kolympiris & Nicholas Kalaitzandonakes, 2013. "Geographic scope of proximity effects among small life sciences firms," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 40(4), pages 1059-1086, May.
- Kudic, Muhamed & Bönisch, Peter & Dominguez Lacasa, Iciar, 2010. "Analyzing Innovation Drivers in the German Laser Industry: the Role of Positioning in the Social and Geographical Space," IWH Discussion Papers 22/2010, Halle Institute for Economic Research (IWH).
- Ana Paula Faria & Natália Barbosa & Vasco Eiriz, 2015. "Firm Innovation and Co-Location in Portugal," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(4), pages 574-592, December.
- Feldman, Maryann & Martin, Roger, 2005. "Constructing jurisdictional advantage," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1235-1249, October.
- Iritié, B. G. Jean-Jacques, 2014. "Enjeux des politiques industrielles basées sur les clusters d'innovation: cas des pôles de compétitivité [Issues of Innovative Clusters-based Industrial Policy: Case of Pole of Competitiveness]," MPRA Paper 54429, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Iritié, B. G. Jean Jacques, 2016. "Economic issues of innovation clusters-based industrial policy : a critical overview," EconStor Preprints 142746, ZBW - Leibniz Information Centre for Economics.
- Elicia Maine & Daniel Shapiro & Aidan Vining, 2010. "The role of clustering in the growth of new technology-based firms," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 127-146, February.
- Yasuyuki Motoyama, 2008. "What Was New About the Cluster Theory?," Economic Development Quarterly, , vol. 22(4), pages 353-363, November.
- Marcela Miozzo & Lori DiVito & Panos Desyllas, 2011. "Cross-border acquisitions of science-based firms: Their effect on innovation in the acquired firm and the local science," DRUID Working Papers 11-17, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Hector Rocha, 2004. "Entrepreneurship and Development: The Role of Clusters," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 23(5), pages 363-400, October.
- Catherine Beaudry & Stefano Breschi, 2000. "Does 'Clustering' really help firms'innovative activities?," KITeS Working Papers 111, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Jul 2000.
- Pengfei Li & Harald Bathelt, 2018. "Location strategy in cluster networks," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 49(8), pages 967-989, October.
- Gary A.S. Cook & Naresh R. Pandit, 2012. "Clustering and the Location of Multinational Enterprises: An Exploration of Financial Services in London," Chapters, in: Charlie Karlsson & Börje Johansson & Roger R. Stough (ed.), The Regional Economics of Knowledge and Talent, chapter 11, Edward Elgar Publishing.
More about this item
Keywordsbusiness location; clusters; chaotic concept; cluster theory; cluster policy;
All these keywords.
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cbr:cbrwps:wp244. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: http://www.cbr.cam.ac.uk .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If CitEc recognized a bibliographic reference but did not link an item in RePEc to it, you can help with this form .
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Ruth Newman/William Kerslake (email available below). General contact details of provider: http://www.cbr.cam.ac.uk .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.