Islamic Finance, Risk Sharing and Macroeconomic Policies
At one point it was estimated that in 2007, the total financial instruments, mostly derivatives, in the world was 12.5 times larger than the total global GDP. Similar development could be awaiting Islamic finance if the ingenuity of financial engineers continues to serve the demand-driven appetite for liquid, low risk, and short-term instruments. In that case, the configuration of Islamic finance would have failed to achieve the hopes and aspirations that expectations generated by the vision of benefits that truly Islamic finance could bring to mankind. In what follows, this paper will discuss an alternative trajectory that could allow the industry to converge to the ideal
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Publication status:||Published in The 2nd ISRA Colloquium (2012): pp. 1-42|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eric Van Wincoop, 1998.
"How big are potential welfare gains from international risksharing?,"
37, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- van Wincoop, Eric, 1999. "How big are potential welfare gains from international risksharing?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 109-135, February.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-91, March.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Levine's Working Paper Archive 7656, David K. Levine.
- Wincoop, Eric van, 1994. "Welfare gains from international risksharing," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 175-200, October.
- Reinhart, Karmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2009. ""This time is different": panorama of eight centuries of financial crises," Economic Policy, Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration, vol. 1, pages 77-114, March.
- Murat Ã‡izakÃ§a, 2011. "Islamic Capitalism and Finance," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 14345, June.
- Kose, M. Ayhan & Prasad, Eswar & Terrones, Marco E., 2007.
"How Does Financial Globalization Affect Risk Sharing? Patterns and Channels,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2903, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Marco Terrones & Ayhan Kose & Eswar S Prasad, 2007. "How Does Financial Globalization Affect Risk Sharing? Patterns and Channels," IMF Working Papers 07/238, International Monetary Fund.
- Robert G. King & Ross Levine, 1993.
"Finance and Growth: Schumpeter Might Be Right,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 108(3), pages 717-737.
- Haque, Nadeem ul & Mirakhor, Abbas, 1999. "The Design of Instruments For Government Finance in An Islamic Economy," MPRA Paper 56028, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mirakhor, Abbas, 2009. "Islamic Economics and Finance: An Institutional Perspective," MPRA Paper 56017, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rui Albuquerque, 2004.
"The Composition of International Capital Flows: Risk Sharing Through Foreign Direct Investment,"
- Albuquerque, Rui, 2003. "The composition of international capital flows: risk sharing through foreign direct investment," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 353-383, December.
- Thomas I. Palley, 2007.
"Financialization: What It Is and Why It Matters,"
wp153, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Thomas I. Palley, 2008. "Financialization: What it is and Why it Matters," IMK Working Paper 04-2008, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
- Thomas I. Palley, 2007. "Financialization: What It Is and Why It Matters," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_525, Levy Economics Institute.
- Mehra, Rajnish & Prescott, Edward C., 1985.
"The equity premium: A puzzle,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 145-161, March.
- M.N. Siddiqi, 2007. "Shariah,Economics And The Progress Of Islamic Finance: The Role Of Shariah Experts," IIUM Journal of Economics and Management, IIUM Journal of Economis and Management, vol. 15(1), pages 93-114, June.
- S. Rao Aiyagari, 1994.
"Uninsured Idiosyncratic Risk and Aggregate Saving,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 109(3), pages 659-684.
- Reinhart, Carmen, 2009.
"The Second Great Contraction,"
21485, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, number 8973.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "Varieties of Crises and Their Dates," Introductory Chapters, in: This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly Princeton University Press.
- Haliassos, Michael & Bertaut, Carol C, 1995. "Why Do So Few Hold Stocks?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(432), pages 1110-29, September.
- Mirakhor, Abbas, 1993. "Equilibrium in a Non-Interest Open Economy," MPRA Paper 56011, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Peter Blair Henry, 2000. "Stock Market Liberalization, Economic Reform, and Emerging Market Equity Prices," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(2), pages 529-564, 04.
- Ul Haque, Nadeem & Mirakhor, Abbas, 1999. "The Design Of Instruments For Government Finance In An Islamic Economy," Islamic Economic Studies, The Islamic Research and Training Institute (IRTI), vol. 6, pages 27-43.
- Anonymous, 2003. "Competing in the 21st Century," Amber Waves, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, April.
- Leopoldo Fergusson, 2006. "Institutions for Financial Development: What are they and where do they come from?," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(1), pages 27-70, 02.
- Rajnish Mehra, 2006. "The Equity Premium in India," NBER Working Papers 12434, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- M. Umer Chapra, 2007. "Challenges Facing the Islamic Financial Industry," Chapters, in: Handbook of Islamic Banking, chapter 21 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Rui Castro & Gian Luca Clementi & Glenn MacDonald, 2004. "Investor Protection, Optimal Incentives, and Economic Growth," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 119(3), pages 1131-1175.
- Bohn, Henning, 2009.
"Intergenerational risk sharing and fiscal policy,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(6), pages 805-816, September.
- Choudhry, Nurun N. & Mirakhor, Abbas, 1997. "Indirect Instruments Of Monetary Control In An Islamic Financial System," Islamic Economic Studies, The Islamic Research and Training Institute (IRTI), vol. 4, pages 28-65.
- M. Kabir Hassan & Mervyn K. Lewis (ed.), 2007. "Handbook of Islamic Banking," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 3621, June.
- Edward Lorenz, 1999.
"Trust, Contract and Economic Cooperation,"
- Evans, Peter, 1996. "Government action, social capital and development: Reviewing the evidence on synergy," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 1119-1132, June.
- Heiner, Ronald A, 1983. "The Origin of Predictable Behavior," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(4), pages 560-95, September.
- Maria Brouwer, 2005. "Managing Uncertainty through Profit Sharing Contracts from Medieval Italy to Silicon Valley," Journal of Management & Governance, Springer;Accademia Italiana di Economia Aziendale (AIDEA), vol. 9(3), pages 237-255, 09.
- Torben M. Andersen, 2011. "Collective risk sharing: The social safety net and employment," Economics Working Papers 2011-02, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Cho, Yoon Je, 1986. "Inefficiencies from Financial Liberalization in the Absence of Well-Functioning Equity Markets," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 18(2), pages 191-99, May.
- Dollar, David & Kraay, Aart, 2001.
"Growth is good for the poor,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2587, The World Bank.
- Timothy Besley, 1995. "Nonmarket Institutions for Credit and Risk Sharing in Low-Income Countries," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(3), pages 115-127, Summer.
- Pagano, Marco, 1993. "Financial markets and growth: An overview," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(2-3), pages 613-622, April.
- Huberman, Gur & Kandel, Shmuel & Stambaugh, Robert F, 1987. " Mimicking Portfolios and Exact Arbitrage Pricing," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(1), pages 1-9, March.
- Christian Gollier, 2004. "The Economics of Risk and Time," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262572249, March.
- Fama, Eugene F & Jensen, Michael C, 1983. "Agency Problems and Residual Claims," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 327-49, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:56338. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.