Macroeconomic Fluctuations and Deposit Dollarization in Sub-Saharan Africa: Evidence from Panel Data
The role played by macroeconomic fluctuations in stimulating deposit dollarization in developing countries have been a subject of intense debate in the last few decades especially in Latin America and transition economies of Eastern Europe with little attention on African economies. Apart from this, most of the studies on African economies are country case studies with little scope for generalisation. This article examines the effect of macroeconomic fluctuations on deposit dollarization in 18 selected Sub-Saharan Africa for the period 1980 to 2004. Using the standard money demand model accounting for dollarization in small open economies, the article finds that inflation, expectations about exchange rate changes coupled with interaction between capital account restrictions and domestic inflation plays dominant roles in explaining deposit dollarization in Sub-Sahara Africa. Given the consequences of deposit dollarization on the vulnerability of the domestic banking system, lack of independent monetary policy and optimal exchange rate choices, the article concludes that macroeconomic instability must be adequately brought under control in other to reduce deposit dollarization in these economies.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:||2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kao, Chihwa, 1999. "Spurious regression and residual-based tests for cointegration in panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 1-44, May.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995.
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models,"
IFS Working Papers
W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, "undated". "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Yinusa, D. Olalekan & Akinlo, A.E., 2008.
"Exchange Rate Volatility and the extent of Currency Substitution in Nigeria,"
16257, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yinusa D. O. & A. E. Akinlo, 2008. "Exchange Rate Volatility and the Extent of Currency Substitution in Nigeria," Indian Economic Review, Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, vol. 43(2), pages 161-181, December.
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002.
"Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Chang, Roberto, 1989.
"Endogenous Currency Substitution, Inflationary Finance, And Welfare,"
89-12, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Chang, Roberto, 1994. "Endogenous Currency Substitution, Inflationary Finance, and Welfare," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 26(4), pages 903-916, November.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff & Miguel A. Savastano, 2014.
"Addicted to Dollars,"
Annals of Economics and Finance,
Society for AEF, vol. 15(1), pages 1-50, May.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff & Miguel A. Savastano, 2003. "Addicted to Dollars," NBER Working Papers 10015, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff & Miguel A. Savastano, 2003. "Addicted to Dollars," CEMA Working Papers 594, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Pablo E. Guidotti & Carlos A. Rodriguez, 1992.
"Dollarization in Latin America: Gresham's Law in Reverse?,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(3), pages 518-544, September.
- Pablo Emilio Guidotti & Carlos A. Rodriguez, 1991. "Dollarization in Latin America; Gresham's Law in Reverse?," IMF Working Papers 91/117, International Monetary Fund.
- Pablo Guidotti & Carlos A. Rodríguez, 1992. "Dollarization in Latin America: Gresham's Law in Reverse?," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 81, Universidad del CEMA.
- Agenor, Pierre-Richard & Khan, Mohsin S., 1996.
"Foreign currency deposits and the demand for money in developing countries,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 101-118, June.
- Mohsin S. Khan & Pierre-Richard AgÃ©nor, 1992. "Foreign Currency Deposits and the Demand for Money in Developing Countries," IMF Working Papers 92/1, International Monetary Fund.
- Andrew Berg & Eduardo Borensztein, 2000.
"The Choice of Exchange Rate Regime and Monetary Target in Highly Dollarized Economies,"
Journal of Applied Economics,
Universidad del CEMA, vol. 3, pages 285-324, November.
- Eduardo Borensztein & Andrew Berg, 2000. "The Choice of Exchange Rate Regime and Monetary Target in Highly Dollarized Economies," IMF Working Papers 00/29, International Monetary Fund.
- Chihwa Kao & Min-Hsien Chiang, 1997.
"On the Estimation and Inference of a Cointegrated Regression in Panel Data,"
- Chihwa Kao & Min-Hsien Chiang, 1999. "On the Estimation and Inference of a Cointegrated Regression in Panel Data," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 2, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Germana Corrado, 2008. "An open economy model with currency substitution and real dollarization," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 35(1), pages 69-93, January.
- J. A. Hausman, 1976.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
185, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Shin, Yongcheol, 1994. "A Residual-Based Test of the Null of Cointegration Against the Alternative of No Cointegration," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(01), pages 91-115, March.
- Yinusa, Dauda Olalekan, 2008. "Between dollarization and exchange rate volatility: Nigeria's portfolio diversification option," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 811-826.
- Lebre de Freitas, M., 2004.
"The dynamics of inflation and currency substitution in a small open economy,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 133-142, February.
- Miguel Lebre de Freitas, 2004. "The Dynamics of Inflation and Currency Substitution in a Small Open Economy," NIPE Working Papers 1/2004, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Miguel Lebre de Freitas, 2003. "The dynamics of inflation and currency substitution in a small open economy," Working Papers de Economia (Economics Working Papers) 02, Departamento de Economia, Gestão e Engenharia Industrial, Universidade de Aveiro, revised Aug 2003.
- Yinusa, D. Olalekan, 2008. "Exchange Rate Volatility, Currency Substitution and Monetary Policy in Nigeria," MPRA Paper 16255, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Branson, William H. & Henderson, Dale W., 1985.
"The specification and influence of asset markets,"
Handbook of International Economics,
in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 15, pages 749-805
- Calvo, Guillermo A & Rodriguez, Carlos Alfredo, 1977. "A Model of Exchange Rate Determination under Currency Substitution and Rational Expectations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(3), pages 617-625, June.
- Salvatore, Dominick, 2001. "Which countries in the Americas should dollarize?," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 347-355, April.
- Uribe, Martin, 1997.
"Hysteresis in a simple model of currency substitution,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 185-202, September.
- Martin Uribe, 1995. "Hysteresis in a simple model of currency substitution," International Finance Discussion Papers 509, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990.
"Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995. "Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- Ilker Domac & Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee, 2002. "between Dollarization and Inflation : Evidence from Turkey," Discussion Papers 0207, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- repec:eme:jespps:v:30:y:2003:i:5:p:514-534 is not listed on IDEAS
- Eduardo Levy-Yeyati, 2004.
"FINANCIAL DOLLARIZATION: Evaluating the consequences,"
Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings
184, Econometric Society.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati, 2006. "Financial dollarization: evaluating the consequences," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 21(45), pages 61-118, 01.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati, 2005. "Financial Dollarisation: Evaluating The Consequences," Business School Working Papers findollarisation, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Lange, Carsten & Sauer, Christine, 2005. "Dollarization in Latin America: seigniorage costs and policy implications," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 45(4-5), pages 662-679, September.
- Adam Bennett & Eduardo Borensztein & TomÃ¡s J. T. BaliÃ±o, 1999. "Monetary Policy in Dollarized Economies," IMF Occasional Papers 171, International Monetary Fund.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 1993. "Estimation and Inference in Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195060119, December.
- Calvo, Guillermo & Vegh, Carlos, 1992.
"Currency Substitution in Developing Countries: An Introduction,"
20338, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Guillermo Calvo & Carlos A. VÃ©gh Gramont, 1992. "Currency Substitution in Developing Countries; An Introduction," IMF Working Papers 92/40, International Monetary Fund.
- Ajay Tandon & Yong Wang, 2003. "Confidence in Domestic Money and Currency Substitution," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 41(3), pages 407-419, July.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- Yotopoulos, Pan A., 1997. "Financial Crises and the Benefits of Mildly Repressed Exchange Rates," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 202, Stockholm School of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:16259. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.