Currency Substitution, Portfolio Diversification and Money Demand
The paper explores the implications of means of payment substitutability and capital mobility on the properties of the money demand, using the Thomas (1985) stochastic dynamic optimising model, where the specific role of money is explicitly accounted for. Extending the model to a case in which the consumer has no access to bonds denominated in foreign currency, we are able to describe the double role (means of payment and store of value) that foreign bank notes may have in countries where asset markets are illiquid. We show that means of payment substitutability opens a channel through which portfolio decisions influence the demand for domestic money, even if the later is dominated as store of value. Contrary to what suggested by the Portfolio Balance Theory of Currency Substitution (Cuddington, 1983), the results obtained in this paper suggest that the significance of an expected exchange rate depreciation term in the demand for domestic money provides a valid test for the presence of CS
|Date of creation:||11 Aug 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 1 212 998 3820|
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stockman, Alan C, 1980.
"A Theory of Exchange Rate Determination,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(4), pages 673-698, August.
- Pablo Guidotti & Carlos A. Rodríguez, 1992.
"Dollarization in Latin America: Gresham's Law in Reverse?,"
CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo.
81, Universidad del CEMA.
- Pablo E. Guidotti & Carlos A. Rodriguez, 1992. "Dollarization in Latin America: Gresham's Law in Reverse?," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(3), pages 518-544, September.
- Pablo Emilio Guidotti & Carlos A. Rodriguez, 1991. "Dollarization in Latin America; Gresham's Law in Reverse?," IMF Working Papers 91/117, International Monetary Fund.
- Branson, William H. & Henderson, Dale W., 1985.
"The specification and influence of asset markets,"
Handbook of International Economics,
in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 15, pages 749-805
- Eduardo Levy-Yeyati, 2004.
"FINANCIAL DOLLARIZATION: Evaluating the consequences,"
Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings
184, Econometric Society.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati, 2006. "Financial dollarization: evaluating the consequences," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 21(45), pages 61-118, 01.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati, 2005. "Financial Dollarisation: Evaluating The Consequences," Business School Working Papers findollarisation, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Martin Uribe, 1995.
"Hysteresis in a simple model of currency substitution,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
509, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Uribe, Martin, 1997. "Hysteresis in a simple model of currency substitution," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 185-202, September.
- Sturzenegger, Federico, 1997. "Understanding the welfare implications of currency substitution," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(2-3), pages 391-416.
- Bergstrand, Jeffrey H. & Bundt, Thomas P., 1990. "Currency substitution and monetary autonomy: the foreign demand for US demand deposits," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 325-334, September.
- Miles, Marc A, 1978. "Currency Substitution, Flexible Exchange Rates, and Monetary Independence," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 68(3), pages 428-436, June.
- Chang, Roberto, 1994.
"Endogenous Currency Substitution, Inflationary Finance, and Welfare,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 26(4), pages 903-916, November.
- Chang, Roberto, 1989. "Endogenous Currency Substitution, Inflationary Finance, And Welfare," Working Papers 89-12, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Imrohoroglu, Selahattin, 1994. "GMM Estimates of Currency Substitution between the Canadian Dollar and the U.S. Dollar," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 26(4), pages 792-807, November.
- Smith, Constance E, 1995. "Substitution, Income, and Intertemporal Effects in Currency-Substitution Models," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(1), pages 53-59, February.
- Calvo, Guillermo A & Rodriguez, Carlos Alfredo, 1977. "A Model of Exchange Rate Determination under Currency Substitution and Rational Expectations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(3), pages 617-625, June.
- Mohsin S. Khan & Pierre-Richard AgÃ©nor, 1992.
"Foreign Currency Deposits and the Demand for Money in Developing Countries,"
IMF Working Papers
92/1, International Monetary Fund.
- Agenor, Pierre-Richard & Khan, Mohsin S., 1996. "Foreign currency deposits and the demand for money in developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 101-118, June.
- Shi Shougong, 1995.
"Money and Prices: A Model of Search and Bargaining,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 467-496, December.
- Shouyong Shi, 1995. "Money and Prices: A Model of Search and Bargaining," Working Papers 916, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Engineer, Merwan, 2000. "Currency transactions costs and competing fiat currencies," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 113-136, October.
- Mizen, Paul & Pentecost, Eric J, 1994. "Evaluating the Empirical Evidence for Currency Substitution: A Case Study of the Demand for Sterling in Europe," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(426), pages 1057-1069, September.
- Paul R. Krugman, 1984. "The International Role of the Dollar: Theory and Prospect," NBER Chapters, in: Exchange Rate Theory and Practice, pages 261-278 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lebre de Freitas, M., 2004.
"The dynamics of inflation and currency substitution in a small open economy,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 133-142, February.
- Miguel Lebre de Freitas, 2003. "The dynamics of inflation and currency substitution in a small open economy," Working Papers de Economia (Economics Working Papers) 02, Departamento de Economia, Gestão e Engenharia Industrial, Universidade de Aveiro, revised Aug 2003.
- Miguel Lebre de Freitas, 2004. "The Dynamics of Inflation and Currency Substitution in a Small Open Economy," NIPE Working Papers 1/2004, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Vegh, Carlos A., 1989. "The optimal inflation tax in the presence of currency substitution," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 139-146, July.
- Rogers, J.H., 1990.
"The Currency Substitution Hypothesis And Relative Money Demand In Mexico And Canada,"
7-90-1, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Rogers, John H, 1992. "The Currency Substitution Hypothesis and Relative Money Demand in Mexico and Canada," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 24(3), pages 300-318, August.
- Akcay, O. Cevdet & Alper, C. Emre & Karasulu, Meral, 1997. "Currency substitution and exchange rate instability: The Turkish case," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 827-835, April.
- Thomas, Lee R, 1985. "Portfolio Theory and Currency Substitution," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 17(3), pages 347-357, August.
- Ratti, Ronald A & Jeong, Byung Woo, 1994. "Variation in the real exchange rate as a source of currency substitution," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 537-550, October.
- Kamin, Steven B. & Ericsson, Neil R., 2003. "Dollarization in post-hyperinflationary Argentina," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 185-211, April.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1994. "A Simple Model for Study of the Determination of the Price Level and the Interaction of Monetary and Fiscal Policy," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 4(3), pages 381-399.
- Kiyotaki, Nobuhiro & Wright, Randall, 1989. "On Money as a Medium of Exchange," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 927-954, August.
- John Kareken & Neil Wallace, 1981. "On the Indeterminacy of Equilibrium Exchange Rates," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 96(2), pages 207-222.
- Joines, Douglas H., 1985. "International currency substitution and the income velocity of money," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 303-316, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecm:latm04:263. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.