The dynamics of inflation and currency substitution in a small open economy
In this paper, we analyse the relationship between money and inflation in a small open economy where domestic and foreign currencies are perfect substitutes as means of payment. It is shown that, if the path of domestic money supply is such that individuals find it optimal to change the currency in which transactions are settled, there will be an adjustment period during which domestic inflation adjusts so as to equalise the foreign inflation rate. In the case of a disinflation program, it is shown that the foreign currency is not necessarily abandoned as means of payment. The results obtained are consistent with both dollarisation hysteresis and reversibility, without requiring the specification of dollarisation costs.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chang, Roberto, 1994.
"Endogenous Currency Substitution, Inflationary Finance, and Welfare,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 26(4), pages 903-916, November.
- Chang, Roberto, 1989. "Endogenous Currency Substitution, Inflationary Finance, And Welfare," Working Papers 89-12, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Federico Sturzenegger, 1992. "Inflation and Social Welfare in a Model With Endogenous Financial Adaptation," NBER Working Papers 4103, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Federico A. Sturzenegger, 1992. "Inflation and Social Welfare in a Model with Endogenous Financial Adaptation," UCLA Economics Working Papers 658, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Pablo E. Guidotti & Carlos A. Rodriguez, 1992. "Dollarization in Latin America: Gresham's Law in Reverse?," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(3), pages 518-544, September.
- Pablo Emilio Guidotti & Carlos A. Rodriguez, 1991. "Dollarization in Latin America; Gresham's Law in Reverse?," IMF Working Papers 91/117, International Monetary Fund.
- Pablo Guidotti & Carlos A. Rodríguez, 1992. "Dollarization in Latin America: Gresham's Law in Reverse?," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 81, Universidad del CEMA.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger & Reynoso, Alejandro, 1989. "Financial Factors in Economic Development," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(2), pages 204-209, May.
- Rudiger Dornbusch & Alejandro Reynoso, 1989. "Financial Factors in Economic Development," NBER Working Papers 2889, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Uribe, Martin, 1997. "Hysteresis in a simple model of currency substitution," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 185-202, September.
- Martin Uribe, 1995. "Hysteresis in a simple model of currency substitution," International Finance Discussion Papers 509, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- John Kareken & Neil Wallace, 1981. "On the Indeterminacy of Equilibrium Exchange Rates," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 96(2), pages 207-222.
- Dowd, Kevin & Greenaway, David, 1993. "Currency Competition, Network Externalities and Switching Costs: Towards an Alternative View of Optimum Currency Areas," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(420), pages 1180-1189, September.
- Rudiger Dornbusch & Ferico Sturzenegger & Holger Wolf, 1990. "Extreme Inflation: Dynamics and Stabilization," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 21(2), pages 1-84.
- Clements, Benedict & Schwartz, Gerd, 1993. "Currency substitution: The recent experience of Bolivia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 21(11), pages 1883-1893, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)