Endogenous Multiple Currencies
In this paper I study a model in which households can decide which currency or currencies they will accept. I provide a simple set of assumptions that are sufficient to prevent the indeterminacy of the exchange rate in the sense of Kareken and Wallace (1981). In a two-country model, stable equilibria have either a single currency or national currencies. I also show currency substitution occurs as an endogenous response to high growth in the stock of a currency.
Volume (Year): 38 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879 |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Matsui, Akihiko, 1998.
"Strong Currency and Weak Currency,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 305-333, December.
- Soller, E.V. & Waller, C., 1997.
"A Search Theoretic Model of Legal and Illegal Currency,"
97-003, Indiana - Center for Econometric Model Research.
- Soller Curtis, Elisabeth & Waller, Christopher J., 2000. "A search-theoretic model of legal and illegal currency," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 155-184, February.
- Russell Cooper & Hubert Kempf, 2000.
"Designing Stabilization Policy in a Monetary Union,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0529, Econometric Society.
- Russell W. Cooper & Hubert Kempf, 2000. "Designing Stabilization Policy in a Monetary Union," NBER Working Papers 7607, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Russell Cooper & Hubert Kempf, 2000. "Designing Stabilization Policy in a Monetary Union," Boston University - Institute for Economic Development 99, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development.
- Russell Cooper & Hubert Kempf, 2000. "Designing stabilization policy in a monetary union," Working Paper 0001, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Ireland, Peter N, 1994. "Money and Growth: An Alternative Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 47-65, March.
- Robert E. Lucas Jr. & Nancy L. Stokey, 1984.
"Money and Interest in Cash-In-Advance Economy,"
628, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Fisher, Eric O'N., 1999. "On exchange rates and economic growth," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 23(5-6), pages 851-872, April.
- Alan C. Stockman, 1978.
"A Theory of Exchange Rate Determination,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
122, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Finn E. Kydland & Scott Freeman, 2000.
"Monetary Aggregates and Output,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 90(5), pages 1125-1135, December.
- Narayana Kocherlakota & Thomas Krueger, 1999. "A Signaling Model of Multiple Currencies," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 2(1), pages 231-244, January.
- S.L. Schreft, 1991.
"Welfare-improving credit controls,"
91-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1980. "Equilibrium in a Pure Currency Economy," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 18(2), pages 203-20, April.
- Ireland, Peter N., 1994. "Economic growth, financial evolution, and the long-run behavior of velocity," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 18(3-4), pages 815-848.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1982. "Interest rates and currency prices in a two-country world," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 335-359.
- Uribe, Martin, 1997.
"Hysteresis in a simple model of currency substitution,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 185-202, September.
- Martin Uribe, 1995. "Hysteresis in a simple model of currency substitution," International Finance Discussion Papers 509, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Ravikumar, B & Wallace, Neil, 2002. "A benefit of uniform currency," MPRA Paper 22951, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lihong Liu & Anne Sibert, 1996.
"Government Finance with Currency Substitution,"
Archive Discussion Papers
9609, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- Minford, Patrick, 1995. "Other people's money: Cash-in-advance microfoundations for optimal currency areas," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 427-440, June.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1981.
"An Exploration in the Theory of Exchange-Rate Regimes,"
3445091, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1981. "An Exploration in the Theory of Exchange-Rate Regimes," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(5), pages 865-90, October.
- Sturzenegger, Federico, 1997. "Understanding the welfare implications of currency substitution," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(2-3), pages 391-416.
- Boyer, Russell S. & Kingston, Geoffrey H., 1987. "Currency substitution under finance constraints," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 235-250, September.
- Zhou, Ruilin, 1997. "Currency Exchange in a Random Search Model," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(2), pages 289-310, April.
- Kareken, John & Wallace, Neil, 1981. "On the Indeterminacy of Equilibrium Exchange Rates," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 96(2), pages 207-22, May.
- Chang, Roberto, 1989.
"Endogenous Currency Substitution, Inflationary Finance, And Welfare,"
89-12, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Chang, Roberto, 1994. "Endogenous Currency Substitution, Inflationary Finance, and Welfare," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 26(4), pages 903-16, November.
- Tandon, Ajay & Wang, Yong, 1999. "Inflationary Finance, Capital Controls, and Currency Substitution," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(4), pages 597-612, November.
- King, Robert G. & Wallace, Neil & Weber, Warren E., 1992. "Nonfundamental uncertainty and exchange rates," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1-2), pages 83-108, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mcb:jmoncb:v:38:y:2006:i:1:p:245-262. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.