Exchange Rate Volatility, Currency Substitution and Monetary Policy in Nigeria
This study analyzes the implications of currency substitution and exchange rate volatility for monetary policy in Nigeria. It adopts the unrestricted portfolio balance model of currency substitution, incorporating exchange rate volatility within the framework of the Vector Error Correction (VEC) technique. Results from both impulse response and the forecast error variance decomposition functions suggest that exchange rate volatility and currency substitution responds to monetary policy with some lags meaning that monetary policy may be effective in dampening exchange rate volatility and currency substitution in the medium horizon but might not be effective in the short horizon. The study concludes that currency substitution was not an instant reaction to the slightest policy mistake rather; it was fallout from prolonged period of macroeconomic instability. The major sources of this instability in Nigeria were untamed fiscal deficits leading to high domestic inflation, real parallel market exchange rate volatility, and speculative business activities of market agents in the foreign exchange rate market and poor/inconsistent or uncertainty in public policies. In terms of policy choice, our result favours exchange rate based monetary policy as against interest based monetary policy for stabilization in dollarized economies like Nigeria.
|Date of creation:||07 Oct 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Botswana Journal of Economics Issue 9.Vol. 5(2008): pp. 61-83|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Faust, Jon & Leeper, Eric M, 1997.
"When Do Long-Run Identifying Restrictions Give Reliable Results?,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 15(3), pages 345-53, July.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Faust and Leeper JBES 1997 paper," Statistical Software Components RTZ00058, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Jon Faust & Eric M. Leeper, 1994. "When do long-run identifying restrictions give reliable results?," International Finance Discussion Papers 462, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Jon Faust & Eric M. Leeper, 1994. "When do long-run identifying restrictions give reliable results?," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 94-2, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Cushman, David O. & Zha, Tao, 1997.
"Identifying monetary policy in a small open economy under flexible exchange rates,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 433-448, August.
- David O. Cushman & Tao Zha, 1995. "Identifying monetary policy in a small open economy under flexible exchange rates," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 95-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- William H. Branson & Dale W. Henderson, 1984.
"The Specification and Influence of Asset Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
1283, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati, 2005.
"Financial Dollarisation: Evaluating The Consequences,"
Business School Working Papers
findollarisation, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati, 2006. "Financial dollarization: evaluating the consequences," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 21(45), pages 61-118, 01.
- Eduardo Levy-Yeyati, 2004. "FINANCIAL DOLLARIZATION: Evaluating the consequences," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 184, Econometric Society.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Ilian Mihov, 1998. "Measuring Monetary Policy," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 113(3), pages 869-902.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff & Miguel A. Savastano, 2003.
"Addicted to Dollars,"
CEMA Working Papers
594, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- Girton, Lance & Roper, Don E, 1981. "Theory and Implications of Currency Substitution," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 13(1), pages 12-30, February.
- Andrea Brischetto & Graham Voss, 1999. "A Structural Vector Autoregression Model of Monetary Policy in Australia," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp1999-11, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Germana Corrado, 2008. "An open economy model with currency substitution and real dollarization," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 35(1), pages 69-93, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:16255. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.