Monetary policy under a quasi-fixed exchange rate regime. The case of France between 1987 and 1996
In this paper, I describe the implementation of monetary policy by the Banque de France between 1987 and 1996. This period was characterised by a quasi-fixed exchange rate for France, as the franc was never realigned within the European Monetary System (EMS). I build indicators of the stance of French monetary policy. These show the influence of the EMS constraint on French monetary policy. In particular, since 1987, the shocks of purely domestic French monetary policy (i.e. the variations of the interest rate around the rule of ERM peg target), have only had very little impact on the French economy.
Volume (Year): 52 (1999)
Issue (Month): 211 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.economiacivile.it|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.economiacivile.it|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vittorio Grilli & Nouriel Roubini, 1995. "Liquidity and Exchange Rates: Puzzling Evidence from the G-7 Countries," Working Papers 95-17, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Soyoung Kim, 1998. "Identifying European Monetary Policy Interactions: French and Spanish System with German Variables," Banco de Espa�a Working Papers 9811, Banco de Espa�a.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Ilian Mihov, 1996.
"What Does the Bundesbank Target?,"
NBER Working Papers
5764, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David O. Cushman & Tao Zha, 1995.
"Identifying monetary policy in a small open economy under flexible exchange rates,"
95-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Cushman, David O. & Zha, Tao, 1997. "Identifying monetary policy in a small open economy under flexible exchange rates," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 433-448, August.
- Etsuro Shioji, 1997. "Spanish monetary policy: A structural VAR analysis," Economics Working Papers 215, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Alan S. Blinder, 1989.
"The federal funds rate and the channels of monetary transmission,"
89-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Bernanke, Ben S & Blinder, Alan S, 1992. "The Federal Funds Rate and the Channels of Monetary Transmission," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(4), pages 901-21, September.
- Ben Bernanke, 1990. "The Federal Funds Rate and the Channels of Monetary Transnission," NBER Working Papers 3487, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frank Smets, 1997.
"Measuring monetary policy shocks in France, Germany and Italy: The role of the exchange rate,"
BIS Working Papers
42, Bank for International Settlements.
- Fank Smets, 1997. "Measuring Monetary Policy Shocks in France, Germany and Italy: The Role of The Exchange Rate," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 133(III), pages 597-616, September.
- Artus, P. & Avouyi-Dovi, S. & Bleuze, E. & Lecointe, F., 1991. "Transmission of U.S. monetary policy to Europe and asymmetry in the European monetary system," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 1369-1384, October.
- Clarida, R. & Gertler, M., 1996.
"How the Bundesbank Conducts Monetary Policy,"
96-14, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Fernando Barran & Virginie Coudert & Benoît Mojon, 1996. "The Transmission of Monetary Policy in the European Countries," Working Papers 1996-03, CEPII research center.
- Bernanke, Ben S. & Mihov, Ilian, 1995.
"Measuring Monetary Policy,"
10, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Vittorio Grilli & Nouriel Roubini, 1995.
"Liquidity Models in Open Economies: Theory and Empirical Evidence,"
95-16, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Grilli, Vittorio & Roubini, Nouriel, 1996. "Liquidity models in open economies: Theory and empirical evidence," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 847-859, April.
- Nouriel Roubini & Vittorio Grilli, 1995. "Liquidity Models in Open Economies: Theory and Empirical Evidence," NBER Working Papers 5313, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gerlach, Stefan & Smets, Frank, 1995.
"The Monetary Transmission Mechanism: Evidence from the G-7 Countries,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1219, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stefan Gerlach & Frank Smets, 1995. "The monetary transmission mechanism: Evidence from the G-7 countries," BIS Working Papers 26, Bank for International Settlements.
- Henry, Jerome & Jens Weidmann, 1994.
"Asymmetry in the EMS revisited: Evidence from the causality analysis of daily Eurorates,"
Discussion Paper Serie B
280, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Jérôme HENRY & Jens WEIDMANN, 1995. "Asymmetry in the EMS revisited: Evidence from the Causality Analysis of Daily Eurorates," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 40, pages 125-160.
- Joaquim Vieira Ferreira Levy & Ioannis Halikias, 1997. "Aspects of the Monetary Transmission Mechanism Under Exchange Rate Targeting; The Case of France," IMF Working Papers 97/44, International Monetary Fund.
- Gordon, David B & Leeper, Eric M, 1994.
"The Dynamic Impacts of Monetary Policy: An Exercise in Tentative Identification,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(6), pages 1228-47, December.
- David B. Gordon & Eric M. Leeper, 1992. "The dynamic impacts of monetary policy: an exercise in tentative identification," Working Paper 92-13, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- David B. Gordon & Eric M. Leeper, 1993. "The dynamic impacts of monetary policy: an exercise in tentative identification," Working Paper 93-5, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Christopher A. Sims, 1986. "Are forecasting models usable for policy analysis?," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Win, pages 2-16.
- Sims, Christopher A., 1992.
"Interpreting the macroeconomic time series facts : The effects of monetary policy,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 975-1000, June.
- Christopher A. Sims, 1992. "Interpreting the Macroeconomic Time Series Facts: The Effects of Monetary Policy," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1011, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Strongin, Steven, 1995. "The identification of monetary policy disturbances explaining the liquidity puzzle," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 463-497, June.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- Etsuro Shioji & José García-Montalvo, 1997. "Monetary policy transmission in the EMS: A VAR approach," Working Papers. Serie EC 1997-11, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Sims, Christopher A, 1972. "Money, Income, and Causality," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(4), pages 540-52, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:psl:bnlqrr:1999:43. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carlo D'Ippoliti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.