Identifying Monetary Policy Shocks in Japan
It is sometimes argued that central banks influence the private economy in the short run through controlling a specific component of high powered money, not its total amount. Using a structural VAR approach, this paper evaluates this claim empirically, in the context of the Japanese economy. It estimates a model based on the standard view that the central bank controls the total amount of high powered money, and another model based on the alternative view that it controls only a specific component. It is shown that the former yields much more sensible estimates than the latter.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 14 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622903|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bernanke, Ben S. & Mihov, Ilian, 1995.
"Measuring Monetary Policy,"
10, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- David B. Gordon & Eric M. Leeper, 1993.
"The dynamic impacts of monetary policy: an exercise in tentative identification,"
FRB Atlanta Working Paper
93-5, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Gordon, David B & Leeper, Eric M, 1994. "The Dynamic Impacts of Monetary Policy: An Exercise in Tentative Identification," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(6), pages 1228-47, December.
- David B. Gordon & Eric M. Leeper, 1992. "The dynamic impacts of monetary policy: an exercise in tentative identification," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 92-13, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Richard Clarida & Mark Gertler, 1996.
"How the Bundesbank Conducts Monetary Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
5581, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kasa, Ken & Popper, Helen, 1997.
"Monetary Policy in Japan: A Structural VAR Analysis,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 275-295, September.
- Kenneth Kasa & Helen Popper, 1995. "Monetary policy in Japan: a structural VAR analysis," Pacific Basin Working Paper Series 95-12, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Olivier J. Blanchard & Mark W. Watson, 1984.
"Are Business Cycles All Alike?,"
NBER Working Papers
1392, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ben S. Bernanke, 1986.
"Alternative Explanations of the Money-Income Correlation,"
NBER Working Papers
1842, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernanke, Ben S., 1986. "Alternative explanations of the money-income correlation," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 49-99, January.
- Eric M. Leeper & Christopher A. Sims & Tao Zha, 1996. "What Does Monetary Policy Do?," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 27(2), pages 1-78.
- Kim, Soyoung, 1999. "Do monetary policy shocks matter in the G-7 countries? Using common identifying assumptions about monetary policy across countries," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 387-412, August.
- Kenneth D. West, 1993.
"An Aggregate Demand--Aggregate Supply Analysis of Japanese Monetary Policy,1973-1990,"
in: Japanese Monetary Policy, pages 160-188
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kenneth D. West, 1991. "An Aggregate Demand - Aggregate Supply Analysis of Japanese Monetary Policy, 1973-1990," NBER Working Papers 3823, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kazuo Ueda, 1993. "A Comparative Perspective on Japanese Monetary Policy: Short-Run Monetary Control and the Transmission Mechanism," NBER Chapters, in: Japanese Monetary Policy, pages 7-30 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Takatoshi Ito, 1989. "Is the Bank of Japan a Closet Monetarist? Monetary Targeting in Japan, 1978-1988," NBER Working Papers 2879, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Goodfriend, Marvin, 1983.
"Discount window borrowing, monetary policy, and the post-October 6, 1979 federal reserve operating procedure,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 343-356, September.
- Marvin Goodfriend, 1981. "Discount window borrowing, monetary policy, and the post-October 6, 1979 Federal Reserve operating procedure," Working Paper 81-02, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jjieco:v:14:y:2000:i:1:p:22-42. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.