Exchange Rate Volatility and the Extent of Currency Substitution in Nigeria
This study tests for the existence of currency substitution and attempts to gauge its magnitude in Nigeria. The analysis was based on a multi-perspective unrestricted portfolio balance model. The stock of foreign currency deposits in Nigeria and the ratio of deposits denominated in foreign currency in the domestic banking system to deposits denominated in the domestic currency were modelled. The study revealed the presence of currency substitution in the domestic banking system in Nigeria. A major factor driving this process was exchange rate volatility especially real parallel market exchange rate volatility. Also, the study demonstrates that currency substitution in Nigeria was low during the period under review and as such classified Nigeria as moderately dollarized economy. Subsequently, alternative policy options for curtailing currency substitution in Nigeria were explored. The study concludes that currency substitution is an element of Nigerians' behaviour concerning wealth allocation and as such macroeconomic policies that ensure long periods of low inflation and exchange rate stability become the most powerful policy option that could help stabilize or reduce currency substitution. Also very paramount are the development of domestic financial markets with relevant infrastructural facilities and the development of new financial instruments, which will serve as alternatives to holding money in the domestic economy.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 43 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: University of Delhi, Delhi 110 007|
Phone: 91-11-2766-6533/34/35, 2766-6703/04/05
Web page: http://www.ierdse.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.ierdse.org/ Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Branson, William H. & Henderson, Dale W., 1985.
"The specification and influence of asset markets,"
Handbook of International Economics,
in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 15, pages 749-805
- Luboš Komárek & Martin Melecký, 2003.
"Currency Substitution in a Transitional Economy with an Application to the Czech Republic,"
Eastern European Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(4), pages 72-99, July.
- Luboš Komárek & Martin Melecký, 2003. "Currency Substitution in a Transitional Economy with an Application to the Czech Republic," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 41(4), pages 72-99, July.
- Edgar L. Feige & Michael Faulend & Velimir Sonje & Vedran Sosic, 2001. "Currency Substitution, Unoffical Dollarization and Estimates of Foreign Currency Held Abroad: The Case of Croatia," International Finance 0106001, EconWPA.
- Joannes Mongardini & Johannes Mueller, 2000.
"Ratchet Effects in Currency Substitution: An Application to the Kyrgyz Republic,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 47(2), pages 1-3.
- Joannes Mongardini & Johannes Mueller, 1999. "Rachet Effects in Currency Substitution; An Application to the Kyrgyz Republic," IMF Working Papers 99/102, International Monetary Fund.
- Miguel A Savastano, 1996. "Dollarization in Latin America; Recent Evidence and Some Policy Issues," IMF Working Papers 96/4, International Monetary Fund.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Mizen, Paul & Pentecost, Eric J, 1994. "Evaluating the Empirical Evidence for Currency Substitution: A Case Study of the Demand for Sterling in Europe," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(426), pages 1057-1069, September.
- Girton, Lance & Roper, Don E, 1981. "Theory and Implications of Currency Substitution," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 13(1), pages 12-30, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dse:indecr:v:43:y:2008:i:2:p:161-181. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Pami Dua)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.