Exchange Rate Pass-Through in Transition Economies: The Case of the Republic of Macedonia
This paper investigates the relative costs and benefits associated with introducing a different exchange rate regime in the Republic of Macedonia. In this finding, all econometrics results, using different methodologies (SVAR and VECM), show that introducing a different strategy of the exchange rate targeting in order to promote rapid economic growth could easy disturb macroeconomic stability (after having achieved it at a substantial cost) without any significant economic benefits. In the long term, the coefficient of exchange rate reveals that a one percent change in the exchange rate will generate an increase in the prices level of 0.52 percent, indicating that 52 percent of changes in the exchange rate feed into the prices level. The investigation suggests that introducing a different strategy of the exchange rate regime is likely to incur more costs than benefits.
|Date of creation:||01 Apr 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 734 763-5020
Fax: 734 763-5850
Web page: http://www.wdi.umich.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Georgy Ganev & Krisztina Molnar & Krzysztof Rybinski & Przemyslaw Wozniak, 2002. "Transmission Mechanism of Monetary Policy in Centraland Eastern Europe," CASE Network Reports 0052, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Campa, José Manuel & Goldberg, Linda S., 2004.
"Exchange Rate Pass-Through into Import Prices,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4391, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jonathan McCarthy, 2007.
"Pass-Through of Exchange Rates and Import Prices to Domestic Inflation in Some Industrialized Economies,"
Eastern Economic Journal,
Eastern Economic Association, vol. 33(4), pages 511-537, Fall.
- Jonathan McCarthy, 2000. "Pass-through of exchange rates and import prices to domestic inflation in some industrialized economies," Staff Reports 111, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- J. McCarthy, 1999. "Pass-through of exchange rates and import prices to domestic inflation in some industrialised economies," BIS Working Papers 79, Bank for International Settlements.
- Roberto Golinelli & Riccardo Rovelli, 2002.
"Monetary Policy Transmission, Interest Rate Rules and Inflation Targeting in Three Transition Countries,"
Eastward Enlargement of the Euro-zone Working Papers
wp10, Free University Berlin, Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence, revised 01 Aug 2002.
- Golinelli, Roberto & Rovelli, Riccardo, 2005. "Monetary policy transmission, interest rate rules and inflation targeting in three transition countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 183-201, January.
- Eduardo Levy-Yeyati & Federico Sturzenegger, 2003. "To Float or to Fix: Evidence on the Impact of Exchange Rate Regimes on Growth," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(4), pages 1173-1193, September.
- Sims, Christopher A. & Zha, Tao, 2006.
"Does Monetary Policy Generate Recessions?,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(02), pages 231-272, April.
- Billmeier, Andreas & Bonato, Leo, 2004.
"Exchange rate pass-through and monetary policy in Croatia,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 426-444, September.
- Leo Bonato & Andreas Billmeier, 2002. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through and Monetary Policy in Croatia," IMF Working Papers 02/109, International Monetary Fund.
- David O. Cushman & Tao Zha, 1995.
"Identifying monetary policy in a small open economy under flexible exchange rates,"
95-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Cushman, David O. & Zha, Tao, 1997. "Identifying monetary policy in a small open economy under flexible exchange rates," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 433-448, August.
- Christopher A. Sims & Tao Zha, 1995.
"Error bands for impulse responses,"
95-6, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Coricelli, Fabrizio & Jazbec, Bostjan, 2001.
"Real Exchange Rate Dynamics in Transition Economies,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2869, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Coricelli, Fabrizio & Jazbec, Bostjan, 2004. "Real exchange rate dynamics in transition economies," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 83-100, March.
- Daniel F. Waggoner & Tao Zha, 1997. "Normalization, probability distribution, and impulse responses," Working Paper 97-11, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Fabrizio CORICELLI & Bostjan JAZBEC & Igor MASTEN, 2004. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through in Acceding Countries: The Role of Exchange Rate Regimes," Economics Working Papers ECO2004/16, European University Institute.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1998.
"The Global Capital Market: Benefactor or Menace?,"
Center for International and Development Economics Research, Working Paper Series
qt3kn3n2s8, Center for International and Development Economics Research, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 2000. "The Global Capital Market: Benefactor or Menace?," International Finance 0004001, EconWPA.
- Maurice Obstfeld., 1998. "The Global Capital Market: Benefactor or Menace?," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C98-098, University of California at Berkeley.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1998. "The Global Capital Market: Benefactor or Menace?," NBER Working Papers 6559, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zulfiqar Hyder & Sardar Shah, 2005.
"Exchange Rate Pass-Through to Domestic Prices in Pakistan,"
- Zulfiqar Hyder & Sardar Shah, 2005. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through to Domestic Prices in Pakistan," Macroeconomics 0510020, EconWPA.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 2001. "Vector Autoregressions," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(4), pages 101-115, Fall.
- Andrea Brischetto & Graham Voss, 1999. "A Structural Vector Autoregression Model of Monetary Policy in Australia," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp1999-11, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Hubrich, Kirstin & Lütkepohl, Helmut & Saikkonen, Pentti, 1998.
"A review of systemscointegration tests,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
1998,101, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wdi:papers:2011-1014. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laurie Gendron)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.