Higher Education Policy in Greece: Filling the Danaids' Jar
The study examines the potential effects of a recent policy change in Greece on students’ graduation rates. Our study mainly concentrates on the impact that the reform may have on the various categories of students, as these are classified by the way they enter the university. Individual records of 2,416 students studying at a university of economic and social studies are analyzed by means of the probit model. Our empirical findings suggest that students from all the other modes of entry, compared to students entering by means of general examinations, face a considerably higher probability of failure. Among the rest of the results, the most interesting one concerns the equal likelihood of failure of students with different socio-economic backgrounds.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McNabb, Robert & Pal, Sarmistha & Sloane, Peter, 2002. "Gender Differences in Educational Attainment: The Case of University Students in England and Wales," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 69(275), pages 481-503, August.
- Anderson, Soren & Newell, Richard G., 2003.
"Simplified marginal effects in discrete choice models,"
Elsevier, vol. 81(3), pages 321-326, December.
- Newell, Richard & Anderson, Soren, 2003. "Simplified Marginal Effects in Discrete Choice Models," Discussion Papers dp-03-38, Resources For the Future.
- Geraint Johnes & Robert McNabb, 2004. "Never Give up on the Good Times: Student Attrition in the UK," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 66(1), pages 23-47, 02.
- Leslie E. Papke & Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 1993.
"Econometric Methods for Fractional Response Variables with an Application to 401(k) Plan Participation Rates,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0147, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Papke, Leslie E & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1996. "Econometric Methods for Fractional Response Variables with an Application to 401(K) Plan Participation Rates," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(6), pages 619-32, Nov.-Dec..
- Massimiliano Bratti & Daniele Checchi & Guido de Blasio, 2008.
"Does the Expansion of Higher Education Increase the Equality of Educational Opportunities? Evidence from Italy,"
CEIS, vol. 22(s1), pages 53-88, 06.
- Massimiliano Bratti & Daniele Checchi & Guido de Blasio, 2008. "Does the expansion of higher education increase the equality of educational opportunities? Evidence from Italy," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 679, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Bratti, Massimiliano & Checchi, Daniele & de Blasio, Guido, 2008. "Does the Expansion of Higher Education Increase the Equality of Educational Opportunities? Evidence from Italy," IZA Discussion Papers 3361, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pesaran, M.H. & Timmermann, A., 1990.
"A Simple Non-Parametric Test Of Predictive Performance,"
29, California Los Angeles - Applied Econometrics.
- Pesaran, M Hashem & Timmermann, Allan, 1992. "A Simple Nonparametric Test of Predictive Performance," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 10(4), pages 561-65, October.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Timmermann, A., 1990. "A Simple, Non-Parametric Test Of Predictive Performance," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9021, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 1993. "Estimation and Inference in Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195060119, March.
- Carlevaro, Fabrizio & Senegas, Marc-Alexandre, 2006. "Simplified marginal effects in discrete choice models: A correction," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 44-46, July.
- Wilde, Joachim, 2008.
"A simple representation of the Bera-Jarque-Lee test for probit models,"
Elsevier, vol. 101(2), pages 119-121, November.
- Joachim Wilde, 2007. "A Simple Representation of the Bera-Jarque-Lee Test for Probit Models," IWH Discussion Papers 13, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- N Powdthavee & A Vignoles, 2008. "The Socio-Economic Gap in University Drop Out," Discussion Papers 08/23, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Jeremy P. Smith & Robin A. Naylor, 2001. "Dropping out of university: A statistical analysis of the probability of withdrawal for UK university students," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 164(2), pages 389-405.
- Bera, Anil K & Jarque, Carlos M & Lee, Lung-Fei, 1984. "Testing the Normality Assumption in Limited Dependent Variable Models," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 25(3), pages 563-78, October.
- Andrews, Donald W. K., 1988. "Chi-square diagnostic tests for econometric models : Introduction and applications," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 135-156, January.
- Psacharopoulos, George & Papakonstantinou, George, 2005. "The real university cost in a "free" higher education country," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 103-108, February.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1988. "Chi-Square Diagnostic Tests for Econometric Models: Theory," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(6), pages 1419-53, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mcd:mcddps:2009_16. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Theodore Panagiotidis)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.