Skilled Labor Supply, IT-Based Technical Change and Job Instability
We provide empirical evidence on the impact of IT diffusion on the stability of employment relationships. We document the evolution of different components of job instability over a panel of 348 local labor markets in France, from the mid-1970s to the early 2000s. Although workers in more educated local labor markets adopt IT faster, they do not experience any increase in job instability. More specifically, we find no evidence that the diffusion of IT increases job-to-job transitions, and we find that it tends to reduce transitions to non-employment among high-school dropouts. Overall, the evidence goes against the view that the diffusion of IT has spurred job instability. Combining local labor market variations with firm data, we argue that these findings can be explained by French firms’ strong reliance on training and internal promotion strategies in order to meet the new skills requirement associated with IT diffusion.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||forthcoming in: Scandinavian Journal of Economics|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Danielle Venn, 2009. "Legislation, Collective Bargaining and Enforcement: Updating the OECD Employment Protection Indicators," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 89, OECD Publishing.
- Philippe, ASKENAZY & Eva, MORENO-GALBIS, 2004.
"The impact of technological and organizatioanl changes on labor flows. Evidence on French establishments,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
2004031, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Philippe Askenazy & Eva Moreno Galbis, 2007. "The Impact of Technological and Organizational Changes on Labor Flows. Evidence on French Establishments," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 21(2), pages 265-301, 06.
- Philippe Azkenazy & Eva Moreno, 2004. "The impact of technological and organizational changes on labor flows. Evidence on French establishments," DELTA Working Papers 2004-25, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Nick Bloom & John Van Reenen, 2010.
"Why do Management Practices Differ Across Firms and Countries?,"
CEP Occasional Papers
26, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Nicholas Bloom & John Van Reenen, 2010. "Why Do Management Practices Differ across Firms and Countries?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 24(1), pages 203-24, Winter.
- Nick Bloom & John Van Reenen, 2010. "Why do management practices differ across firms and countries?," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 47491, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Bauer, Thomas K. & Bender, Stefan, 2002.
"Technological Change, Organizational Change, and Job Turnover,"
IZA Discussion Papers
570, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bauer, Thomas K. & Bender, Stefan, 2004. "Technological change, organizational change, and job turnover," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 265-291, June.
- Bauer, Thomas & Bender, Stefan, 2002. "Technological Change, Organizational Change, and Job Turnover," CEPR Discussion Papers 3534, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Luc Behaghel & Eve Caroli & Emmanuelle Walkowiak, 2012.
"Information and communication technologies and skill upgrading: the role of internal vs external labour markets,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 64(3), pages 490-517, July.
- Luc Behaghel & Eve Caroli & Emmanuelle Walkowiak, 2011. "Information and Communication Technologies and Skill Upgrading: the Role of Internal vs External Labour Markets," EconomiX Working Papers 2011-4, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Behaghel, Luc & Caroli, Eve & Walkowiak, Emmanuelle, 2011. "Information and Communication Technologies and Skill Upgrading: The Role of Internal vs. External Labour Markets," IZA Discussion Papers 5494, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Caroli, Eve & Behaghel, Luc & Walkowiak, Emmanuelle, 2012. "Information and communication technologies and skill upgrading: the role of internal vs external labour markets," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/7248, Paris Dauphine University.
- Givord, Pauline & Maurin, Eric, 2003.
"Changes in Job Security and their Causes: An Empirical Analysis for France, 1982-2002,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3830, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Givord, Pauline & Maurin, Eric, 2004. "Changes in job security and their causes: An empirical analysis for France, 1982-2002," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 595-615, June.
- Paul Beaudry & Mark Doms & Ethan Lewis, 2006.
"Endogenous Skill Bias in Technology Adoption: City-Level Evidence from the IT Revolution,"
NBER Working Papers
12521, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul Beaudry & Mark Doms & Ethan Lewis, 2006. "Endogenous skill bias in technology adoption: city-level evidence from the IT revolution," Working Paper Series 2006-24, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Enrico Moretti, 2002.
"Estimating the Social Return to Higher Education: Evidence From Longitudinal and Repeated Cross-Sectional Data,"
NBER Working Papers
9108, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Moretti, Enrico, 2004. "Estimating the social return to higher education: evidence from longitudinal and repeated cross-sectional data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 121(1-2), pages 175-212.
- Jacob Mincer, 1989. "Human Capital Responses to Technological Change in the Labor Market," NBER Working Papers 3207, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Orley C. Ashenfelter & Henry Farber & Michael R Ransom, 2010. "Labor Market Monopsony," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 28(2), pages 203-210, 04.
- David Neumark & Deborah Reed, 2002.
"Employment Relationships in the New Economy,"
NBER Working Papers
8910, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Valletta, Robert G, 1999.
"Declining Job Security,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 17(4), pages S170-97, October.
- Ann Huff Stevens, 2005. "The More Things Change, The More They Stay the Same: Trends in Long-term Employment in the United States, 1969-2002," NBER Working Papers 11878, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp6839. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.