The impact of technological and organizational changes on labor flows. Evidence on French establishments
This paper investigates the effect of organizational and technological changes on job stability of different occupations in France. We first develop a basic matching model with endogenous job destruction. It provides a structure to the empirical analysis, where we extensively exploit a unique data set on a representative sample of French establishments. The adoption of information technologies is positively correlated to labor flows of blue collar workers while most of the new workplace organizational practices positively influence the managers' turnover.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 01 43 13 63 00
Fax: 01 43 13 63 10
Web page: http://www.delta.ens.fr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hamermesh, D.S. & Hassink, W.H.J. & van Ours, J.C., 1996. "Job turnover and labor turnover : A taxonomy of employment dynamics," Other publications TiSEM 1f3fab1f-b02a-485a-bb8f-f, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Felix Fitzroy & Michael Funke, 1994.
"Capital-Skill Complementarity in West German Manufacturing,"
CRIEFF Discussion Papers
9408, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- FitzRoy, Felix & Funke, Michael, 1995. "Capital-Skill Complementarity in West German Manufacturing," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(4), pages 651-65.
- David Neumark & Deborah Reed, 2002.
"Employment Relationships in the New Economy,"
NBER Working Papers
8910, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bauer, Thomas K. & Bender, Stefan, 2002.
"Technological Change, Organizational Change, and Job Turnover,"
IZA Discussion Papers
570, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bauer, Thomas K. & Bender, Stefan, 2004. "Technological change, organizational change, and job turnover," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 265-291, June.
- Bauer, Thomas & Bender, Stefan, 2002. "Technological Change, Organizational Change, and Job Turnover," CEPR Discussion Papers 3534, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Burgess, Simon M & Nickell, Stephen, 1990. "Labour Turnover in UK Manufacturing," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 57(227), pages 295-317, August.
- Timothy F. Bresnahan & Erik Brynjolfsson & Lorin M. Hitt, 1999.
"Information Technology, Workplace Organization and the Demand for Skilled Labor: Firm-Level Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
7136, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dale T. Mortensen & Christopher A. Pissarides, 1993.
"Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0110, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Mortensen, Dale T & Pissarides, Christopher A, 1994. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(3), pages 397-415, July.
- Claudio Michelacci & David Lopez-Salido, 2007.
"Technology Shocks and Job Flows,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 74(4), pages 1195-1227.
- Claudio Michelacci & David López-Salido, 2003. "Technology shocks and job flows," Banco de Espa�a Working Papers 0308, Banco de Espa�a.
- Claudio Michelacci & David Lopez-Salido, 2004. "Technology Shocks And Job Flows," Working Papers wp2004_05, CEMFI.
- Lopez-Salido, Jose David & Michelacci, Claudio, 2004. "Technology Shocks and Job Flows," CEPR Discussion Papers 4426, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Steve J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1991. "Wage Dispersion Between and Within U.S. Manufacturing Plants, 1963-1986," NBER Working Papers 3722, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nathalie Greenan, 1996. "Progrès technique et changements organisationnels : leur impact sur l'emploi et les qualifications," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 298(1), pages 35-44.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:109:y:1994:i:2:p:367-97 is not listed on IDEAS
- Françis KRAMARZ & Francis KRAMARZ & Louis-Paul PELÉ, 1996. "Wage Inequalities and Firm-Specific Compensation policies in France," Annals of Economics and Statistics, GENES, issue 41-42, pages 369-386.
- Steven G. Allen, 1987. "Productivity Levels and Productivity Change Under Unionism," NBER Working Papers 2304, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Simon Burgess & Julia Lane & David Stevens, 1996.
"Job Flows, Worker Flows and Churning,"
Labor and Demography
- Ichniowski, Casey & Shaw, Kathryn & Prennushi, Giovanna, 1997. "The Effects of Human Resource Management Practices on Productivity: A Study of Steel Finishing Lines," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(3), pages 291-313, June.
- Per Krusell & Lee E. Ohanian & Jose-Victor Rios-Rull & Giovanni L. Violante, 1997.
"Capital-skill complementarity and inequality: a macroeconomic analysis,"
239, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Per Krusell & Lee E. Ohanian & JosÈ-Victor RÌos-Rull & Giovanni L. Violante, 2000. "Capital-Skill Complementarity and Inequality: A Macroeconomic Analysis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(5), pages 1029-1054, September.
- Machin, S. & Van Reenen, J., 1997.
"Technology and Changes in Skill Structure: Evidence from Seven OECD Countries,"
24, Centre for Economic Performance & Institute of Economics.
- Stephen Machin & John Van Reenen, 1998. "Technology and changes in skill structure: evidence from seven OECD countries," IFS Working Papers W98/04, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Peter Cappelli, 1996. "Technology and skill requirements: implications for establishment wage structures," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue May, pages 139-156.
- Abowd, John M. & Kramarz, Francis, 2003.
"The costs of hiring and separations,"
Elsevier, vol. 10(5), pages 499-530, October.
- Schnabel, Claus & Wagner, Joachim, 1991. "Unions and Innovative Activity in Germany," Hannover Economic Papers (HEP) dp-165, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Pekka Ilmakunnas & Mika Maliranta, 2005.
"Worker inflow, outflow, and churning,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(10), pages 1115-1133.
- Cahuc, Pierre & Postel-Vinay, Fabien, 2001.
"Temporary Jobs, Employment Protection and Labor Market Performance,"
IZA Discussion Papers
260, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Cahuc, Pierre & Postel-Vinay, Fabien, 2002. "Temporary jobs, employment protection and labor market performance," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 63-91, February.
- Eva, MORENO GALBIS, 2002. "Changes in the skill structure of the labour force. An empirical application to the Spanish case," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2002035, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Bauer, Thomas K., 2004. "High Performance Workplace Practices and Job Satisfaction: Evidence from Europe," IZA Discussion Papers 1265, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:del:abcdef:2004-25. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.