Innovation and Skill Upgrading : The Role of External vs Internal Labour Markets
Following technical and organisational changes, firms may react to increasing skillrequirements either by training (on the internal labour market) or hiring the new skills, or acombination of the two.Using matched datasets with about 1,000 French plants, we assess the role of these externaland internal labour market strategies. We show that skill upgrading following technologicaland organisational changes takes place mostly through internal labour markets adjustments,except for the adoption of the Internet which gives rise to both internal and external types ofadjustments. We then consider the determinants of the strategies used by individual firms: dosome firms mainly rely on one strategy while other firms prevalently choose another strategy,and why? We show that firms' size and localisation are critical in explaining such differences.Skill upgrading strategies relying on the external labour market seem to be prevalentlyadopted by small urban plants.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 15 Boulevard Gabriel Peri 92245 Malakoff Cedex|
Phone: 01 41 17 60 81
Web page: http://www.crest.fr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Philippe Askenazy & Eva Moreno Galbis, 2007.
"The Impact of Technological and Organizational Changes on Labor Flows. Evidence on French Establishments,"
- Philippe Askenazy & Eva Moreno Galbis, 2007. "The Impact of Technological and Organizational Changes on Labor Flows. Evidence on French Establishments," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 21(2), pages 265-301, 06.
- Philippe Azkenazy & Eva Moreno, 2004. "The impact of technological and organizational changes on labor flows. Evidence on French establishments," DELTA Working Papers 2004-25, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Philippe, ASKENAZY & Eva, MORENO-GALBIS, 2004. "The impact of technological and organizatioanl changes on labor flows. Evidence on French establishments," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2004031, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Sandra E. Black & Lisa M. Lynch, 2001.
"What's driving the new economy? The benefits of workplace innovation,"
118, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Sandra E. Black & Lisa M. Lynch, 2004. "What's driving the new economy?: the benefits of workplace innovation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(493), pages F97-F116, 02.
- Sandra E. Black & Lisa M. Lynch, 2000. "What's Driving the New Economy: The Benefits of Workplace Innovation," NBER Working Papers 7479, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sandra E. Black & Lisa M. Lynch, 2003. "What's driving the new economy?: the benefits of workplace innovation," Working Paper Series 2003-23, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Sandra E Black & Lisa M Lynch, 2002. "What's Driving the New Economy? The Benefits of Workplace Innovation," Working Papers 02-03, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Alexandra Spitz-Oener, 2006. "Technical Change, Job Tasks, and Rising Educational Demands: Looking outside the Wage Structure," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(2), pages 235-270, April.
- Bauer, Thomas K. & Bender, Stefan, 2002.
"Technological Change, Organizational Change, and Job Turnover,"
IZA Discussion Papers
570, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bauer, Thomas K. & Bender, Stefan, 2004. "Technological change, organizational change, and job turnover," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 265-291, June.
- Bauer, Thomas & Bender, Stefan, 2002. "Technological Change, Organizational Change, and Job Turnover," CEPR Discussion Papers 3534, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Philippe Zamora, 2006. "Changements organisationnels, technologiques et recours à la formation dans les entreprises industrielles," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 57(6), pages 1235-1257.
- Emmanuelle Walkowiak, 2006. "Renouvellement de la main-d'œuvre et modernisation des entreprises," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 57(6), pages 1205-1233.
- Luc Behaghel & Nathalie Greenan, 2010.
"Training and Age-Biased Technical Change,"
- Luc Behaghel & Nathalie Greenan, 2005. "Training and Age-Biased Technical Change : Evidence from French Micro Data," Working Papers 2005-06, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- BEHAGHEL Luc & GREENAN Nathalie, 2007. "Training and age-biased technical change," Research Unit Working Papers 0705, Laboratoire d'Economie Appliquee, INRA.
- Caroli, Eve & Van Reenen, John, 1999.
"Skill biased organizational change? Evidence from a panel of British and French establishments,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Eve Caroli & John Van Reenen, 2001. "Skill-Biased Organizational Change? Evidence from A Panel of British and French Establishments," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 116(4), pages 1449-1492.
- John M. Abowd & Patrick Corbel & Francis Kramarz, 1996.
"The Entry and Exit of Workers and the Growth of Employment: An Analysis of French Establishments,"
NBER Working Papers
5551, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John M. Abowd & Patrick Corbel & Francis Kramarz, 1999. "The Entry And Exit Of Workers And The Growth Of Employment: An Analysis Of French Establishments," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 81(2), pages 170-187, May.
- Abowd, John M & Corbel, Patrick & Kramarz, Francis, 1997. "The Entry and Exit of Workers and the Growth of Employment: An Analysis of French Establishments," CEPR Discussion Papers 1765, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Luc Behaghel & Fabien Postel-Vinay, 2003. "Insécurité de l'emploi : le rôle protecteur de l'ancienneté a-t-il baissé en France ? Suivi d'un commentaire de Fabien Postel-Vinay," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 366(1), pages 3-29.
- Bassanini, Andrea & Booth, Alison L. & Brunello, Giorgio & De Paola, Maria & Leuven, Edwin, 2005.
"Workplace Training in Europe,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1640, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:crs:wpaper:2007-02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Florian Sallaberry)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.