Minimum Wages as a Barrier to Entry: Evidence from Germany
This study analyses employers' support for the introduction of industry-specific minimum wages as a cost-raising strategy in order to deter market entry. Using a unique data set consisting of 800 firms in the German service sector, we find some evidence that high-productivity employers support minimum wages. We further show that minimum wage support is higher in industries and regions with low barriers to entry. This is particularly the case in East Germany, where the perceived threat of low-wage competition from Central and Eastern European Countries is relatively high. In addition, firms paying collectively agreed wages are more strongly in favour of minimum wages if union coverage is low and the mark-up of union wage rates is high.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: Labour, 2014, 28 (3), 338-357|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Justus Haucap & Uwe Pauly & Christian Wey, 2000.
"Collective Wage Setting When Wages Are Generally Binding: An Antitrust Perspective,"
CIG Working Papers
FS IV 00-01, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Haucap, Justus & Pauly, Uwe & Wey, Christian, 2001. "Collective wage setting when wages are generally binding An antitrust perspective," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 287-307, September.
- Saint-Paul, Gilles, 2005.
"Making Sense of Bolkestein-Bashing: Trade Liberalization under Segmented Labor Markets,"
IDEI Working Papers
353, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Saint-Paul, Gilles, 2007. "Making sense of Bolkestein-bashing: Trade liberalization under segmented labor markets," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 152-174, September.
- Saint-Paul, Gilles, 2005. "Making Sense of Bolkestein-Bashing: Trade Liberalization under Segmented Labor Markets," IZA Discussion Papers 1618, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Saint-Paul, Gilles, 2005. "Making Sense of Bolkestein-Bashing: Trade Liberalization Under Segmented Labour Markets," CEPR Discussion Papers 5100, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thomas Kiessl & Carsten Pohl & Heinz Schmalholz, 2006. "Ostdeutsche Unternehmen betrachten EU-Dienstleistungsrichtlinie mit Skepsis," ifo Dresden berichtet, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 13(01), pages 15-26, 02.
- Shingo Ishiguro & Laixun Zhao, 2009. "Raising Wages To Deter Entry Into Unionized Markets," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 60(4), pages 435-445.
- Antonczyk, Dirk & Fitzenberger, Bernd & Sommerfeld, Katrin, 2010.
"Rising wage inequality, the decline of collective bargaining, and the gender wage gap,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
10-014, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Antonczyk, Dirk & Fitzenberger, Bernd & Sommerfeld, Katrin, 2010. "Rising wage inequality, the decline of collective bargaining, and the gender wage gap," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 835-847, October.
- Antonczyk, Dirk & Fitzenberger, Bernd & Sommerfeld, Katrin, 2010. "Rising Wage Inequality, the Decline of Collective Bargaining, and the Gender Wage Gap," IZA Discussion Papers 4911, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Garnsey, Elizabeth, 1998. "A Theory of the Early Growth of the Firm," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 7(3), pages 523-56, September.
- Sven Heitzler & Christian Wey, 2010. "Raising Rivals' Fixed (Labor) Costs: The Deutsche Post Case," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1008, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- David Neumark & William L. Wascher, 2008. "Minimum Wages," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262141027, June.
- Gernot Nerb, 2006. "Mögliche Auswirkungen der geplanten EU-Dienstleistungsrichtlinie auf die Wirtschaft Deutschlands," Ifo Schnelldienst, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 59(05), pages 19-24, 03.
- Braun, Sebastian, 2011. "Unionisation structures, productivity and firm performance: New insights from a heterogeneous firm model," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 120-129, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp6484. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.