Labor Productivity and Vocational Training: Evidence from Europe
In this paper we show that vocational training is an important determinant of productivity growth. We construct a multi-country, multi-sectoral dataset, and quantify empirically to what extent vocational training has contributed to increase the growth rate of labor productivity in Europe between 1999 and 2005. We find that one extra hour of training per employee accelerates the rate of productivity growth by around 0.55 percentage points.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: Journal of Productivity Analysis, 2013, 40 (1), 31-41|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lorraine Dearden & Howard Reed & John Van Reenen, 2005.
"The Impact of Training on Productivity and Wages: Evidence from British Panel Data,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0674, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Lorraine Dearden & Howard Reed & John Van Reenen, 2006. "The Impact of Training on Productivity and Wages: Evidence from British Panel Data," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 68(4), pages 397-421, 08.
- Lorraine Dearden & Howard Reed & John Van Reenen, 2005. "The impact of training on productivity and wages: evidence from British panel data," IFS Working Papers W05/16, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Lorraine Dearden & Howard Reed & John Van Reenen, 2005. "The impact of training on productivity and wages : evidence from British panel data," Economic History Working Papers 779, London School of Economics and Political Science, Department of Economic History.
- Barro, R.J., 1989.
"Economic Growth In A Cross Section Of Countries,"
RCER Working Papers
201, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Kemeny, Thomas, 2010. "Does Foreign Direct Investment Drive Technological Upgrading?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(11), pages 1543-1554, November.
- Sousounis, Panos & Bladen-Hovell, Robin, 2010.
"Persistence in the determination of work-related training participation: Evidence from the BHPS, 1991-1997,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 1005-1015, December.
- Panos Sousounis & Robin Bladen-Hovell, 2009. "Persistence in the determination of work-related training participation: evidence from the BHPS, 1991-1997," Working Papers 0918, Department of Accounting, Economics and Finance, Bristol Business School, University of the West of England, Bristol.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Zilibotti, Fabrizio, 1998.
660, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Daron Acemoglu & Fabrizio Zilbotti, 1999. "Productivity Differences," NBER Working Papers 6879, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Zilibotti, Fabrizio, 2000. "Productivity Differences," CEPR Discussion Papers 2498, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Acemoglu, D. & Zilibotti, F., 1998. "Productivity Differences," Papers 660, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Sergio Scicchitano, 2010.
"Complementarity between heterogeneous human capital and R&D: can job-training avoid low development traps?,"
Springer, vol. 37(4), pages 361-380, November.
- Sergio Scicchitano, 2002. "Complementarity between heterogeneus human capital and R&D: can job-training avoid low development traps?," Working Papers 70, University of Rome La Sapienza, Department of Public Economics.
- Jonathan Temple, 2006. "Aggregate Production Functions and Growth Economics," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(3), pages 301-317.
- Cecilia ALBERT & Carlos GARCÍA-SERRANO & Virginia HERNANZ, 2010. "On-the-job training in Europe: Determinants and wage returns," International Labour Review, International Labour Organization, vol. 149(3), pages 315-341, 09.
- Grund, Christian & Martin, Johannes, 2010. "Determinants of Further Training: Evidence for Germany," IZA Discussion Papers 5315, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Xavier X. Sala-i-Martin, 1997.
"I Just Ran Four Million Regressions,"
NBER Working Papers
6252, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jakob Madsen, 2008.
"Semi-endogenous versus Schumpeterian growth models: testing the knowledge production function using international data,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 1-26, March.
- Jakob B. Madsen & EPRU & FRU, 2007. "Semi-Endogenous Versus Schumpeterian Growth Models: Testing The Knowledge Production Function Using International Data," Monash Economics Working Papers 26-07, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- William Easterly & Robert King & Ross Levine & Sergio Rebelo, 1994.
"Policy, Technology Adoption, and Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
4681, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mário Centeno & Márcio Corrêa, 2005.
"Job Matching, Technological Progress And Worker-Provided On-The-Job Training,"
Anais do XXXIII Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 33th Brazilian Economics Meeting]
171, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Centeno, Mário & Corrêa, Márcio, 2010. "Job matching, technological progress, and worker-provided on-the-job training," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 109(3), pages 190-192, December.
- Caponi, Vincenzo & Kayahan, Cevat Burc & Plesca, Miana, 2009.
"The Impact of Aggregate and Sectoral Fluctuations on Training Decisions,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4042, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Caponi Vincenzo & Kayahan Burc & Plesca Miana, 2010. "The Impact of Aggregate and Sectoral Fluctuations on Training Decisions," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 10(1), pages 1-37, October.
- Caponi, Vincenzo & Kayahan, Cevat Burc & Plesca, Miana, 2009. "The Impact of Aggregate and Sectoral Fluctuations on Training Decisions," CLSSRN working papers clsrn_admin-2009-54, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 25 Oct 2009.
- Miana Plesca & Cevat Burc Kayahan & Vincenzo Caponi, 2010. "The Impact of Aggregate and Sectoral Fluctuations on Training Decisions," 2010 Meeting Papers 62, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Madsen, Jakob B., 2010. "The anatomy of growth in the OECD since 1870," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(6), pages 753-767, September.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Peter J. Klenow & Mark Bils, 2000. "Does Schooling Cause Growth?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(5), pages 1160-1183, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp6171. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.