Labor Market Dynamics in Tunisia: The Issue of Youth Unemployment
This paper analyzes the dynamics of the youth labor market in Tunisia using unique labor force survey data from 2005 to 2007 that include a longitudinal component. It first shows that sustained economic growth will reduce youth unemployment over the next few years. Second, forecasts indicate that the growth of private sector services has the highest potential to reduce youth unemployment. Third, the analysis of labor market characteristics reveals that young graduates experience long unemployment as they cue for high-skill jobs. Moreover, the public sector remains the main provider of employment opportunities for many graduates, in particular for women.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: Review of Middle East Economics and Finance , 2011, 7 (2), 1-35|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mohamed Ali Marouani, 2009.
"Is the End of the MFA a Threat?,"
Review of Development Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(1), pages 99-110, 02.
- Marouani, Mohamed Ali, 2010.
"More Jobs for University Graduates: Some Policy Options for Tunisia,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/4310, Paris Dauphine University.
- Mohamed Ali Marouani, 2010. "More jobs for university graduates: some policy options for Tunisia," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(10), pages 933-937.
- Mohamed Ali Marouani, 2009. "More Jobs for University Graduates: Some Policy Options for Tunisia," Working Papers DT/2009/01, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Agenor, Pierre-Richard & Nabli, Mustapha K. & Yousef, Tarik & Jensen, Henning Tarp, 2007.
"Labor market reforms, growth, and unemployment in labor-exporting countries in the Middle East and North Africa,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 277-309.
- Agenor, Pierre-Richard & Nabli, Mustapha K. & Yousef, Tarik & Jensen, Henning Tarp, 2004. "Labor market reforms, growth, and unemployment in labor-exporting countries in the Middle East and North Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3328, The World Bank.
- Sabine Bernab? & Marco Stampini, 2008. "Labour mobility during transition: evidence from Georgia," LICOS Discussion Papers 20608, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp5611. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.