Youth Unemployment in Africa: New Evidence and Policies from Swaziland
In: Disadvantaged Workers
Drawing on the 2007 and 2010 Swaziland Labor Force Surveys, this chapter provides first systematic evidence on youth employment challenges in Swaziland, a small, land-locked country with one of the highest youth unemployment rates in Africa. The chapter first documents the labor market disadvantages faced by the Swazi youth, including discouragement. The multinomial logit regression analysis is then carried out to analyze the main socio-economic drivers of the youth labor market outcomes. Since the factors that could unlock the employment potential of the Swazi youth are also on the demand side of the labor market, the chapter examines the country’s barriers to private job creation and youth entrepreneurship. It concludes with experiences of other countries that could inform design of more effective interventions towards youth employment in Swaziland.
|This chapter was published in: ||This item is provided by AIEL - Associazione Italiana Economisti del Lavoro in its series AIEL Series in Labour Economics with number
07-09.||Handle:|| RePEc:ail:chapts:07-09||Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Dipartimento di Giurisprudenza, Seconda Universitá di Napoli, Via Mazzocchi 5, 81055 S. Maria Capua Vetere (CE)|
Phone: +39 0823 275530
Web page: http://www.aiel.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John C. Anyanwu, 2013.
"Characteristics and Macroeconomic Determinants of Youth Employment in Africa,"
African Development Review,
African Development Bank, vol. 25(2), pages 107-129, June.
- John Anyanwu, 2013. "Characteristics and Macroeconomic Determinants of Youth Employment in Africa," African Development Review, African Development Bank, vol. 25(2), pages 107-129.
- Léonce Ndikumana & Mina Baliamoune-Lutz & Zuzana Brixiová, 2011. "Credit Constraints And Productive Entrepreneurship In Africa," Working Papers wp276, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Baliamoune-Lutz, Mina & Brixiova, Zuzana & Ndikumana, Leonce, 2011. "Credit Constraints and Productive Entrepreneurship in Africa," IZA Discussion Papers 6193, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Mina Baliamoune-Lutz & Zuzana Brixiová & Léonce Ndikumana, 2012. "Credit constraints and productive entrepreneurship in Africa," ICER Working Papers 23-2011, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Stampini Marco & Verdier-Chouchane Audrey, 2011. "Labor Market Dynamics in Tunisia: The Issue of Youth Unemployment," Review of Middle East Economics and Finance, De Gruyter, vol. 7(2), pages 1-35, September.
- Stampini, Marco & Verdier-Chouchane, Audrey, 2011. "Labor Market Dynamics in Tunisia: The Issue of Youth Unemployment," IZA Discussion Papers 5611, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Richard K. Johanson & Arvil V. Adams, 2004. "Skills Development in Sub-Saharan Africa," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15028, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)