Skills and youth entrepreneurship in Africa: Analysis with evidence from Swaziland
The shortages of entrepreneurial skills have lowered search effectiveness of potential young entrepreneurs and the rate of youth start-ups. Our paper contributes to closing a gap in the entrepreneurship and development literature with a model of costly firm creation and skill differences between young and adult entrepreneurs. The model shows that for young entrepreneurs facing high costs of searching for business opportunities, support for training is more effective in stimulating productive start-ups than subsidies. The case for interventions targeted at youth rises in societies with high costs of youth unemployment. We test the role of skills and training for productive youth entrepreneurship on data from a recent survey of entrepreneurs in Swaziland.
|Date of creation:||01 May 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 734 763-5020
Fax: 734 763-5850
Web page: http://www.wdi.umich.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- O'Higgins, Niall, 2001. "Youth unemployment and employment policy: a global perspective," MPRA Paper 23698, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cho, Yoon Y. & Honorati, Maddalena, 2013.
"Entrepreneurship Programs in Developing Countries: A Meta Regression Analysis,"
IZA Discussion Papers
7333, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Cho, Yoonyoung & Honorati, Maddalena, 2014. "Entrepreneurship programs in developing countries: A meta regression analysis," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(C), pages 110-130.
- Cho, Yoonyoung & Honorati, Maddalena, 2013. "Entrepreneurship programs in developing countries : a meta regression analysis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6402, The World Bank.
- Cho, Yoonyoung & Honorati, Maddalena, 2013. "Entrepreneurship programs in developing countries : a meta regression analysis," Social Protection Discussion Papers 77168, The World Bank.
- Naudé, Wim, 2010. "Promoting Entrepreneurship in Developing Countries: Policy Challenges," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Working Paper P, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Evans, David S & Leighton, Linda S, 1989. "Some Empirical Aspects of Entrepreneurship," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(3), pages 519-35, June.
- Zuzana Brixiová & Mthuli Ncube, 2015.
"Entrepreneurship and the Business Environment in Africa: An Application to Ethiopia,"
SALDRU Working Papers
146, Southern Africa Labour and Development Research Unit, University of Cape Town.
- Brixiova, Zuzana & Ncube, Mthuli, 2013. "Entrepreneurship and the Business Environment in Africa: An Application to Ethiopia," IZA Discussion Papers 7553, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- McPherson, Michael A., 1996. "Growth of micro and small enterprises in southern Africa," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 253-277, March.
- David Card & Pablo Ibarrar�n & Ferdinando Regalia & David Rosas-Shady & Yuri Soares, 2011. "The Labor Market Impacts of Youth Training in the Dominican Republic," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 29(2), pages 267 - 300.
- Gindling, T. H. & Newhouse, David, 2012.
"Self-employment in the developing world,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
6201, The World Bank.
- Philippe Aghion & Thibault Fally & Stefano Scarpetta, 2007.
"Credit constraints as a barrier to the entry and post-entry growth of firms,"
CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 22, pages 731-779, October.
- Aghion, Philippe & Fally, Thibault & Scarpetta, Stefano, 2007. "Credit Constraints as a Barrier to the Entry and Post-Entry Growth of Firms," IZA Discussion Papers 3237, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Scarpetta, Stefano & Fally, Thibault & Aghion, Philippe, 2007. "Credit Constraints as a Barrier to the Entry and Post-Entry Growth of Firms," Scholarly Articles 4554208, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Simeon Djankov & Edward Miguel & Yingyi Qian & Gerard Roland & Ekaterina Zhuravskaya, 2005.
"Who are Russia’s entrepreneurs?,"
w0048, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-70, May.
- Naude, Wim, 2008. "Entrepreneurship in Economic Development," Working Paper Series RP2008/20, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Mano, Yukichi & Iddrisu, Alhassan & Yoshino, Yutaka & Sonobe, Tetsushi, 2012.
"How Can Micro and Small Enterprises in Sub-Saharan Africa Become More Productive? The Impacts of Experimental Basic Managerial Training,"
Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 458-468.
- Yukichi Mano & Alhassan Iddrisu & Yutaka Yoshino & Tetsushi Sonobe, 2011. "How Can Micro and Small Enterprises in Sub-Saharan Africa Become More Productive? The Impacts of Experimental Basic Managerial Training," GRIPS Discussion Papers 11-06, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies.
- Mano, Yukichi & Iddrisu,, Alhassan & Yoshino, Yutaka & Sonobe, Tetsushi, 2011. "How can micro and small enterprises in Sub-Saharan Africa become more productive? the impacts of experimental basic managerial training," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5755, The World Bank.
- Leff, Nathaniel H, 1979. "Entrepreneurship and Economic Development: The Problem Revisited," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 17(1), pages 46-64, March.
- Wenli Li, 1998. "Government loan, guarantee, and grant programs: an evaluation," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Fall, pages 25-52.
- Mthuli Ncube, 2005. "Economic Growth, Entrepreneurship and the Business Environment in Africa," Working Papers 30, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Baumol, William J, 1990. "Entrepreneurship: Productive, Unproductive, and Destructive," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages 893-921, October.
- J. Paul Elhorst, 2003. "The Mystery of Regional Unemployment Differentials: Theoretical and Empirical Explanations," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(5), pages 709-748, December.
- Zuzana Brixiova, 2013. "Modeling productive entrepreneurship in developing countries," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 41(1), pages 183-194, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wdi:papers:2014-1077. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laurie Gendron)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.