Working Paper 175 - Youth Employment in Africa: New Evidence and Policies from Swaziland
Drawing on the 2007 and 2010 Swaziland Labor Force Surveys, this paper provides first systematic evidence on recent youth employment challenges in Swaziland, a small, land-locked, middle-income country with one of the highest youth unemployment rates in Africa. The paper first documents the various labor market disadvantages faced by the Swazi youth, such as high unemployment and discouragement, and how they changed from 2007 to 2010. A multinomial logit regression analysis is carried out to analyze the socio-economic drivers of the unfavorable youth labor market outcomes on the supply side. Since many of the factors that can unlock the employment potential of the Swazi youth are on the demand side of the labor market, the paper examines the barriers to job creation and youth entrepreneurship. It concludes with experiences of other countries that could inform design of more effective interventions for youth employment in Swaziland.
|Date of creation:||18 Jun 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 15 Avenue du Ghana P.O.Box 323-1002 Tunis-Belvedère, Tunisia|
Phone: (+216) 71 10 39 00
Fax: (225) 21.77.53
Web page: http://www.afdb.org/en/knowledge/publications/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- L. Guarcello & I. Kovrova & L. Scott, 2012. "Youth disadvantage in the labour market: Empirical evidence from nine developing countries," UCW Working Paper 63, Understanding Children's Work (UCW Programme).
- Schoof, Ulrich, 2006. "Stimulating youth entrepreneurship : barriers and incentives to enterprise start-ups by young people," ILO Working Papers 388157, International Labour Organization.
- Stampini Marco & Verdier-Chouchane Audrey, 2011.
"Labor Market Dynamics in Tunisia: The Issue of Youth Unemployment,"
Review of Middle East Economics and Finance,
De Gruyter, vol. 7(2), pages 1-35, September.
- Stampini, Marco & Verdier-Chouchane, Audrey, 2011. "Labor Market Dynamics in Tunisia: The Issue of Youth Unemployment," IZA Discussion Papers 5611, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jesus Felipe & Arnelyn Abdon & Utsav Kumar, 2012. "Tracking the Middle-income Trap: What Is It, Who Is in It, and Why?," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_715, Levy Economics Institute.
- Alexandre KOLEV & Catherine SAGET, 2005. "Understanding youth labour market disadvantage: Evidence from south-east Europe," International Labour Review, International Labour Organization, vol. 144(2), pages 161-187, 06.
- John Anyanwu, 2013.
"Characteristics and Macroeconomic Determinants of Youth Employment in Africa,"
African Development Review,
African Development Bank, vol. 25(2), pages 107-129.
- John C. Anyanwu, 2013. "Characteristics and Macroeconomic Determinants of Youth Employment in Africa," African Development Review, African Development Bank, vol. 25(2), pages 107-129, 06.
- Mmantsetsa Marope, 2010. "The Education System in Swaziland : Training and Skills Development for Shared Growth and Competitiveness," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 5930, April.
- Richard K. Johanson & Arvil V. Adams, 2004. "Skills Development in Sub-Saharan Africa," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15028, April.
- Stefano Scarpetta & Anne Sonnet & Thomas Manfredi, 2010. "Rising Youth Unemployment During The Crisis: How to Prevent Negative Long-term Consequences on a Generation?," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 106, OECD Publishing.
- Léonce Ndikumana & Mina Baliamoune-Lutz & Zuzana Brixiová, 2011.
"Credit Constraints And Productive Entrepreneurship In Africa,"
wp276, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Baliamoune-Lutz, Mina & Brixiova, Zuzana & Ndikumana, Leonce, 2011. "Credit Constraints and Productive Entrepreneurship in Africa," IZA Discussion Papers 6193, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Mina Baliamoune-Lutz & Zuzana Brixiová & Léonce Ndikumana, 2012. "Credit constraints and productive entrepreneurship in Africa," ICER Working Papers 23-2011, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Mina Baliamoune-Lutz & Zuzana Brixiová & Léonce Ndikumana, 2011. "Credit Constraints & Productive Entrepreneurship in Africa," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp1025, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:adb:adbwps:472. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Adeleke Oluwole Salami)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.