Occupational and industrial segregation of female and male workers in Spain: An alternative approach
This paper aims to analyze occupational and industrial segregation in the Spanish labor market by using the alternative tools proposed by Alonso-Villar and Del Río (2007), along with some new extensions put forward here. In particular, two decompositions of their segregation curves are proposed. The approach followed in this article allows measuring segregation of women and men separately, since the distribution of each group of workers across occupations and industries is compared with the distribution of total employment. To analyze industrial segregation, an aggregated classification of industries in four large groups (agriculture-fishing, industry, construction and services) and another by branches of activity are considered while to study occupational segregation, several partitions of individuals and of occupations are included.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert Hutchens, 2004. "One Measure of Segregation," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 45(2), pages 555-578, 05.
- Preston, Jo Anne, 1999. "Occupational gender segregation Trends and explanations," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 611-624.
- Barbara Petrongolo, 2004.
"Gender Segregation in Employment Contracts,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 2(2-3), pages 331-345, 04/05.
- Barbara Petrongolo, 2004. "Gender segregation in employment contracts," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3662, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Petrongolo, Barbara, 2004. "Gender Segregation in Employment Contracts," CEPR Discussion Papers 4303, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Barbara Petrongolo, 2004. "Gender Segregation in Employment Contracts," CEP Discussion Papers dp0637, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Francine D. Blau & Lawrence M. Kahn, 2003. "Understanding International Differences in the Gender Pay Gap," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(1), pages 106-144, January.
- Francine D. Blau & Lawrence M. Kahn, 2001. "Understanding International Differences in the Gender Pay Gap," NBER Working Papers 8200, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jenkins, Stephen P. & Micklewright, John & Schnepf, Sylke Viola, 2006. "Social segregation in Secondary Schools: how does England compare with other countries?," ISER Working Paper Series 2006-02, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Stephen P. Jenkins & John Micklewright & Sylke V. Schnepf, 2006. "Social segregation in secondary schools: How does England compare with other countries?," Working Papers 27, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Jenkins, Stephen P. & Micklewright, John & Schnepf, Sylke V., 2006. "Social Segregation in Secondary Schools: How Does England Compare with Other Countries?," IZA Discussion Papers 1959, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Stephen P. Jenkins & John Micklewright & Sylke V. Schnepf, 2006. "Social Segregation in Secondary Schools: How Does England Compare with Other Countries?," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 550, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Coral del Río & Olga Alonso-Villar, 2007. "An alternative proposal for measuring occupational segregation," Working Papers 82, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Ricardo Mora & Javier Ruiz-Castillo, 2004. "Gender segregation by occupations in the public and the private sector.The case of Spain," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 28(3), pages 399-428, September.
- Ruiz-Castillo, Javier & Mora, Ricardo, 2003. "Gender segregation by occupation in the public and the private sector : the case of Spain," UC3M Working papers. Economics we031604, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Ricardo Mora & Javier Ruiz-Castillo, 2003. "Additively Decomposable Segregation Indexes. The Case of Gender Segregation by Occupations and Human Capital Levels in Spain," The Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer;Society for the Study of Economic Inequality, vol. 1(2), pages 147-179, August.
- Ruiz-Castillo, Javier & Mora, Ricardo, 2003. "Additively decomposable segregation indexes. The case of gender segregation by occupations and human capital levels in Spain," UC3M Working papers. Economics we031503, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Plasman, Robert & Sissoko, Salimata, 2004. "Comparing Apples with Oranges: Revisiting the Gender Wage Gap in an International Perspective," IZA Discussion Papers 1449, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Robert Plasman & Salimata Sissoko Ndeye, 2005. "Comparing apples with oranges: revisiting the gender wage gap in an international perspective," DULBEA Working Papers 05-12.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- John A. Bishop & K. Victor Chow & Lester A. Zeager, 2003. "Decomposing Lorenz and Concentration Curves," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 44(3), pages 965-978, 08.
- Hutchens, Robert M., 1991. "Segregation curves, Lorenz curves, and inequality in the distribution of people across occupations," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 31-51, February.
- Phelps, Edmund S, 1972. "The Statistical Theory of Racism and Sexism," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(4), pages 659-661, September.
- Dennis J. Aigner & Glen G. Cain, 1977. "Statistical Theories of Discrimination in Labor Markets," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 30(2), pages 175-187, January.
- M. Soledad Otero Giráldez & Carlos Gradín Lago, 2001. "Segregación Ocupacional En España, Una Perspectiva Territorial," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 159(4), December.
- Chakravarty, Satya R. & Silber, Jacques, 2007. "A generalized index of employment segregation," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 185-195, March.
- Amuedo-Dorantes Catalina & De la Rica Sara, 2006. "The Role of Segregation and Pay Structure on the Gender Wage Gap: Evidence from Matched Employer-Employee Data for Spain," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 5(1), pages 1-34, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inq:inqwps:ecineq2008-84. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria Ana Lugo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.