Appraising the breakdown of unequal individuals in large French cities
In this paper, we examine the general properties of the Neighbourhood Sorting Index (NSI) introduced by Jargowski (1996) and their intuitive interpretation, illustrating the inverse relation between neighbourhood's homogeneity and segregation. The use of the NSI is illustrated measuring and comparing the segregation in the 30 largest French urban areas from 2000 to 2008.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: CREM (UMR CNRS 6211) – Faculty of Economics, 7 place Hoche, 35065 RENNES Cedex|
Phone: 02 23 23 35 47
Fax: (33) 2 23 23 35 99
Web page: http://crem.univ-rennes1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: CREM (UMR CNRS 6211) - Faculty of Economics, 7 place Hoche, 35065 Rennes Cedex - France|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Patrick Moyes & Nicolas Gravel, 2007.
"Ethically robust comprisons of distributions of two individual attributes,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Nicolas Gravel & Patrick Moyes, 2006. "Ethically Robust Comparisons of Distributions of Two Individual Attributes," IDEP Working Papers 0605, Institut d'economie publique (IDEP), Marseille, France, revised Aug 2006.
- Patrick Moyes & Nicolas Gravel, 2010. "Ethically robust comparisons of distributions of two individual attributes," Post-Print hal-00796074, HAL.
- Robert Hutchens, 2004. "One Measure of Segregation," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 45(2), pages 555-578, 05.
- Tara Watson, 2009.
"Inequality And The Measurement Of Residential Segregation By Income In American Neighborhoods,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 55(3), pages 820-844, 09.
- Tara Watson, 2009. "Inequality and the Measurement of Residential Segregation by Income In American Neighborhoods," NBER Working Papers 14908, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stéphane Mussard, 2007.
"Between-Group Pigou Dalton Transfers,"
Cahiers de recherche
07-06, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Hutchens, Robert, 2001. "Numerical measures of segregation: desirable properties and their implications," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 13-29, July.
- Shorrocks, Anthony & Wan, Guanghua, 2004.
"Spatial Decomposition of Inequality,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Verdugo, Gregory, 2011. "Public Housing and Residential Segregation of Immigrants in France, 1968-1999," IZA Discussion Papers 5456, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Dominique Goux & Eric Maurin, 2007.
"Close Neighbours Matter: Neighbourhood Effects on Early Performance at School,"
- Dominique Goux & Eric Maurin, 2007. "Close Neighbours Matter: Neighbourhood Effects on Early Performance at School," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(523), pages 1193-1215, October.
- Dominique Goux & Eric Maurin, 2006. "Close neighbours matter: neighbourhood effects on early performance at school," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19412, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Goux, Dominique & Maurin, Eric, 2006. "Close Neighbours Matter: Neighbourhood Effects on Early Performance at School," IZA Discussion Papers 2095, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Goux, Dominique & Maurin, Eric, 2006. "Close Neighbours Matter: Neighbourhood Effects on Early Performance at School," CEPR Discussion Papers 5682, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dominique Goux & Eric Maurin, 2006. "Close Neighbours Matter: Neighbourhood Effects on Early Performance at School," CEE Discussion Papers 0068, Centre for the Economics of Education, LSE.
- Cutler, David M. & Glaeser, Edward L. & Vigdor, Jacob L., 2008.
"When are ghettos bad? Lessons from immigrant segregation in the United States,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 759-774, May.
- David M. Cutler & Edward L. Glaeser & Jacob L. Vigdor, 2007. "When Are Ghettos Bad? Lessons from Immigrant Segregation in the United States," NBER Working Papers 13082, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Vigdor, Jacob & Glaeser, Edward & Cutler, David, 2008. "When Are Ghettos Bad? Lessons from Immigrant Segregation In the United States," Scholarly Articles 2666726, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Hutchens, Robert M., 1991. "Segregation curves, Lorenz curves, and inequality in the distribution of people across occupations," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 31-51, February.
- Chakravarty, Satya R. & Silber, Jacques, 2007. "A generalized index of employment segregation," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 185-195, March.
- Federico Echenique & Roland G. Fryer Jr & Alex Kaufman, 2006. "Is School Segregation Good or Bad?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(2), pages 265-269, May.
- Quigley, John M., 2006. "Urban Economics," Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy, Working Paper Series qt0jr0p2tk, Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tut:cremwp:201220. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CODA-POIREY Hélène)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.