Between-Group Pigou-Dalton Transfers
This paper introduces the concept of Pigou-Dalton transfers between populations of income receivers. Gini's mean difference and Dagum's Gini index between populations are axiomatically derived in order to gauge the impact of within- and between-group Pigou-Dalton transfers on Dagum's measure. We show its sensitiveness for any given transfer in the sense that inequality-reducing transfers are captured when transfers occur from higher-income donors to lower-income recipients, which belong to two distinct populations. Accordingly, we point out the implications of between-group transfers on: the ordering of multivariate majorization, the multivariate stochastic dominance in the sense of multivariate Lorenz ordering and zonotope inclusions, the Gini decomposition, and on the use of the generalized entropy index.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 11, Porte des Sciences, L-4366 Esch-sur-Alzette, G.-D. Luxembourg|
Phone: 00352 / 58 58 55 - 1
Fax: 00352 / 58 58 55 - 700
Web page: http://iriss.ceps.lu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chateauneuf, A. & Gajdos, T. & Wilthien, P.-H., 1999.
"The Principle of Strong Kiminishing Transfer,"
Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications
1999-96, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Alain Chateauneuf & Thibault Gajdos & Pierre-Henry Wilthien, 2002. "The Principle of Strong Diminishing Transfer," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00085936, HAL.
- Bourguignon, Francois, 1979. "Decomposable Income Inequality Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(4), pages 901-20, July.
- Gajdos, Thibault, 2004.
"Single crossing Lorenz curves and inequality comparisons,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 21-36, January.
- Thibault Gajdos, 2004. "Single Crossing Lorenz Curves and Inequality Comparisons," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00086028, HAL.
- BOSSERT, Walter & D'AMBROSIO, Conchita, 2004.
"Reference Groups and Individual Deprivation,"
Cahiers de recherche
2004-10, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Gleb A. Koshevoy & Karl Mosler, 2007. "Multivariate Lorenz dominance based on zonoids," AStA Advances in Statistical Analysis, Springer;German Statistical Society, vol. 91(1), pages 57-76, March.
- Fields, Gary S. & Ok, Efe A., 1996. "The Meaning and Measurement of Income Mobility," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 349-377, November.
- Dagum, Camilo, 1987. "Measuring the Economic Affluence between Populations of Income Receivers," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 5(1), pages 5-12, January.
- Duclos, Jean-Yves & Esteban, Joan & Ray, Debraj, 2003.
"Polarization: Concepts, Measurement, Estimation,"
Cahiers de recherche
- Dagum, Camilo, 1980. "Inequality Measures between Income Distributions with Applications," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(7), pages 1791-1803, November.
- Ebert, Udo, 1984. "Measures of distance between income distributions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 266-274, April.
- Shorrocks, A F, 1980. "The Class of Additively Decomposable Inequality Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(3), pages 613-25, April.
- Chakravarty, Satya Ranjan & Dutta, Bhaskar, 1987. "A note on measures of distance between imcome distributions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 185-188, February.
- Cowell, Frank A., 1980. "Generalized entropy and the measurement of distributional change," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 147-159, January.
- Marc Fleurbaey, 2006. "To Envy or to be Envied? Refinements of No-Envy fot the Compensation Problem," IDEP Working Papers 0603, Institut d'economie publique (IDEP), Marseille, France, revised Jul 2006.
- Gleb Koshevoy, 1997. "The Lorenz zonotope and multivariate majorizations," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 15(1), pages 1-14.
- Yitzhaki, Shlomo & Lerman, Robert I, 1991. "Income Stratification and Income Inequality," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 37(3), pages 313-29, September.
- Pyatt, Graham, 1976. "On the Interpretation and Disaggregation of Gini Coefficients," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 86(342), pages 243-55, June.
- Fleurbaey, Marc & Michel, Philippe, 2001. "Transfer principles and inequality aversion, with an application to optimal growth," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 1-11, July.
- Silber, Jacques, 1989. "Factor Components, Population Subgroups and the Computation of the Gini Index of Inequality," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(1), pages 107-15, February.
- Rolf Aaberge & Steinar Bjerve & Kjell Doksum, 2005.
"Decomposition of Rank-Dependent Measures of Inequality by Subgroups,"
437, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Rolf Aaberge & Steinar Bjerve & Kjell Doksum, 2005. "Decomposition of rank-dependent measures of inequality by subgroups," Metron - International Journal of Statistics, Dipartimento di Statistica, Probabilità e Statistiche Applicate - University of Rome, vol. 0(3), pages 493-503.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:irs:iriswp:2007-02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Philippe Van Kerm)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.