Decomposition of s-concentration curves
For any given order of inverse stochastic dominance, standard concentration curves are decomposed into three components, called contribution curves. Those components correspond to within-group inequalities, between-group inequalities, and transvariational inequalities. We prove, for all orders, that contribution curve dominance implies systematically welfare-improving tax reforms and conversely. Accordingly, as welfare expansions may be costly in terms of particular inequalities, we propose targeted fiscal reforms.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 41 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Canadian Economics Association Prof. Steven Ambler, Secretary-Treasurer c/o Olivier Lebert, CEA/CJE/CPP Office C.P. 35006, 1221 Fleury Est Montréal, Québec, Canada H2C 3K4|
Web page: http://economics.ca/cje/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://economics.ca/en/membership.php Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sastry, D V S & Kelkar, Ujwala R, 1994. "Note on the Decomposition of Gini Inequality," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(3), pages 584-86, August.
- Shlomo Yitzhaki & Joel Slemrod, 1987.
"Welfare Dominance: An Application to Commodity Taxation,"
NBER Working Papers
2451, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yitzhaki, Shlomo & Slemrod, Joel, 1991. "Welfare Dominance: An Application to Commodity Taxation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(3), pages 480-96, June.
- Gajdos, Thibault, 2004.
"Single crossing Lorenz curves and inequality comparisons,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 21-36, January.
- Thibault Gajdos, 2004. "Single Crossing Lorenz Curves and Inequality Comparisons," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00086028, HAL.
- Duclos, J. & Makdissi, P., 1999.
"Sequential Stochastic Dominance and the Robustness of Poverty Orderings,"
99/6, New South Wales - School of Economics.
- Jean-Yves Duclos & Paul Makdissi, 2005. "Sequential Stochastic Dominance And The Robustness Of Poverty Orderings," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 51(1), pages 63-87, 03.
- Duclos, Jean-Yves & Makdissi, Paul, 1999. "Sequential Stochastic Dominance and the Robustness of Poverty Orderings," Cahiers de recherche 9905, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Deutsch, Joseph & Silber, Jacques, 1997. "Gini's "Transvariazione" and the Measurement of Distance between Distributions," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 22(4), pages 547-54.
- Paul Makdissi & Stéphane Mussard, 2008.
"Analyzing the impact of indirect tax reforms on rank-dependent social welfare functions: a positional dominance approach,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 30(3), pages 385-399, April.
- Paul Makdissi & Stéphane Mussard, 2006. "Analyzing the Impact of Indirect Tax Reforms on Rank Dependant Social Welfare Functions: A Positional Dominance Approach," Cahiers de recherche 06-02, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Yaari, Menahem E, 1987. "The Dual Theory of Choice under Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 95-115, January.
- Silber, Jacques, 1989. "Factor Components, Population Subgroups and the Computation of the Gini Index of Inequality," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(1), pages 107-15, February.
- Jean-Yves Duclos & Joan-Maria Esteban & Debraj Ray, 2003.
"Polarization: Concepts, Measurement, Estimation,"
46, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Rolf Aaberge, 2000.
"Ranking Intersecting Lorenz Curves,"
271, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Rolf Aaberge, 2000. "Ranking intersectiong Lorenz Curves," ICER Working Papers 08-2000, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Rolf Aaberge, 2004. "Ranking Intersecting Lorenz Curves," CEIS Research Paper 45, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
- Aaberge, Rolf, 2008. "Ranking Intersecting Lorenz Curves," IZA Discussion Papers 3852, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Wildasin, David E, 1984. "On Public Good Provision with Distortionary Taxation," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 22(2), pages 227-43, April.
- Rolf Aaberge & Steinar Bjerve & Kjell Doksum, 2005.
"Decomposition of rank-dependent measures of inequality by subgroups,"
Metron - International Journal of Statistics,
Dipartimento di Statistica, Probabilità e Statistiche Applicate - University of Rome, vol. 0(3), pages 493-503.
- Rolf Aaberge & Steinar Bjerve & Kjell Doksum, 2005. "Decomposition of Rank-Dependent Measures of Inequality by Subgroups," Discussion Papers 437, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Dagum, Camilo, 1997. "A New Approach to the Decomposition of the Gini Income Inequality Ratio," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 22(4), pages 515-31.
- Yitzhaki, Shlomo & Lerman, Robert I, 1991. "Income Stratification and Income Inequality," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 37(3), pages 313-29, September.
- Fishburn, Peter C. & Willig, Robert D., 1984. "Transfer principles in income redistribution," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 323-328, December.
- Lambert, Peter J & Aronson, J Richard, 1993. "Inequality Decomposition Analysis and the Gini Coefficient Revisited," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(420), pages 1221-27, September.
- Besley, Timothy J & Kanbur, S M Ravi, 1988. "Food Subsidies and Poverty Alleviation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(392), pages 701-19, September.
- Gajdos, Thibault, 2002. "Measuring Inequalities without Linearity in Envy: Choquet Integrals for Symmetric Capacities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 190-200, September.
- Yitzhaki, Shlomo & Thirsk, Wayne, 1990. "Welfare dominance and the design of excise taxation in the Cote d'ivoire," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 1-18, July.
- Dagum, Camilo, 1980. "Inequality Measures between Income Distributions with Applications," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(7), pages 1791-1803, November.
- Pyatt, Graham, 1976. "On the Interpretation and Disaggregation of Gini Coefficients," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 86(342), pages 243-55, June.
- Yaari, Menahem E., 1988. "A controversial proposal concerning inequality measurement," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 381-397, April.
- Silber, Jacques, 1993. "Inequality Decomposition by Income," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(3), pages 545-47, August.
- Claudio Zoli, 1999. "Intersecting generalized Lorenz curves and the Gini index," Social Choice and Welfare, The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 16(2), pages 183-196.
- Berrebi, Z M & Silber, Jacques G, 1987. "Dispersion, Asymmetry and the Gini Index of Inequality," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 28(2), pages 331-38, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cje:issued:v:41:y:2008:i:4:p:1312-1328. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Prof. Werner Antweiler)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.