Analyzing the impact of indirect tax reforms on rank-dependent social welfare functions: a positional dominance approach
A new approach is developed to identify thorough marginal tax reforms for pairs of commodities and to test for the robustness of their impacts on Yaari's dual social welfare functions. S-concentration curves are provided for every order of positional dominance and an illustration is performed using Canadian data.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 30 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00355/index.htm|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kakwani, Nanak, 1980. "On a Class of Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(2), pages 437-46, March.
- Rolf Aaberge, 2000.
"Ranking Intersecting Lorenz Curves,"
271, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Aaberge, Rolf, 2008. "Ranking Intersecting Lorenz Curves," IZA Discussion Papers 3852, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Rolf Aaberge, 2000. "Ranking intersectiong Lorenz Curves," ICER Working Papers 08-2000, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Rolf Aaberge, 2004. "Ranking Intersecting Lorenz Curves," CEIS Research Paper 45, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
- Duclos, Jean-Yves & Makdissi, Paul, 2003.
"Restricted and Unrestricted Dominance for Welfare, Inequality and Poverty Orderings,"
Cahiers de recherche
- Jean-Yves Duclos & Paul Makdissi, 2004. "Restricted and Unrestricted Dominance for Welfare, Inequality, and Poverty Orderings," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 6(1), pages 145-164, 02.
- Duclos, Jean-Yves & Makdissi, Paul, 2000. "Restricted and Unrestricted Dominance for Welfare, Inequality and Poverty Orderings," Cahiers de recherche 0001, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Besley, Timothy J & Kanbur, S M Ravi, 1988. "Food Subsidies and Poverty Alleviation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(392), pages 701-19, September.
- Yitzhaki, Shlomo & Slemrod, Joel, 1991.
"Welfare Dominance: An Application to Commodity Taxation,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 81(3), pages 480-96, June.
- Shlomo Yitzhaki & Joel Slemrod, 1987. "Welfare Dominance: An Application to Commodity Taxation," NBER Working Papers 2451, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Duclos, Jean-Yves & Makdissi, Paul & Wodon, Quentin, 2003. "Poverty-Efficient Transfer Programs: The Role of Targeting and Allocation Rules," Cahiers de recherche 0305, CIRPEE.
- Wildasin, David E, 1984. "On Public Good Provision with Distortionary Taxation," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 22(2), pages 227-43, April.
- Gajdos, Thibault, 2002. "Measuring Inequalities without Linearity in Envy: Choquet Integrals for Symmetric Capacities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 190-200, September.
- Yitzhaki, Shlomo & Thirsk, Wayne, 1990. "Welfare dominance and the design of excise taxation in the Cote d'ivoire," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 1-18, July.
- Jean-Yves Duclos & Paul Makdissi & Quentin Wodon, 2004.
"Socially-Improving Tax Reforms,"
Cahiers de recherche
- Makdissi, Paul & Wodon, Quentin, 2002. "Consumption dominance curves: testing for the impact of indirect tax reforms on poverty," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 227-235, April.
- Yaari, Menahem E, 1987. "The Dual Theory of Choice under Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 95-115, January.
- Fishburn, Peter C. & Willig, Robert D., 1984. "Transfer principles in income redistribution," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 323-328, December.
- Atkinson, Anthony B., 1970. "On the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 244-263, September.
- Mehran, Farhad, 1976. "Linear Measures of Income Inequality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(4), pages 805-09, July.
- Yaari, Menahem E., 1988. "A controversial proposal concerning inequality measurement," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 381-397, April.
- Alain Chateauneuf & Thibault Gajdos & Pierre-Henry Wilthien, 2002.
"The Principle of Strong Diminishing Transfer,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:sochwe:v:30:y:2008:i:3:p:385-399. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.