Analyzing the impact of indirect tax reforms on rank-dependent social welfare functions: a positional dominance approach
A new approach is developed to identify thorough marginal tax reforms for pairs of commodities and to test for the robustness of their impacts on Yaari's dual social welfare functions. S-concentration curves are provided for every order of positional dominance and an illustration is performed using Canadian data.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 30 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00355/index.htm|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rolf Aaberge, 2004.
"Ranking Intersecting Lorenz Curves,"
CEIS Research Paper
45, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
- Rolf Aaberge, 2000. "Ranking Intersecting Lorenz Curves," Discussion Papers 271, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Aaberge, Rolf, 2008. "Ranking Intersecting Lorenz Curves," IZA Discussion Papers 3852, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Rolf Aaberge, 2000. "Ranking intersectiong Lorenz Curves," ICER Working Papers 08-2000, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Alain Chateauneuf & Thibault Gajdos & Pierre-Henry Wilthien, 2002.
"The Principle of Strong Diminishing Transfer,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Gajdos, Thibault, 2002. "Measuring Inequalities without Linearity in Envy: Choquet Integrals for Symmetric Capacities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 190-200, September.
- Fishburn, Peter C. & Willig, Robert D., 1984. "Transfer principles in income redistribution," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 323-328, December.
- Kakwani, Nanak, 1980. "On a Class of Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(2), pages 437-46, March.
- Besley, Timothy J & Kanbur, S M Ravi, 1988. "Food Subsidies and Poverty Alleviation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(392), pages 701-19, September.
- Shlomo Yitzhaki & Joel Slemrod, 1987.
"Welfare Dominance: An Application to Commodity Taxation,"
NBER Working Papers
2451, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yitzhaki, Shlomo & Slemrod, Joel, 1991. "Welfare Dominance: An Application to Commodity Taxation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(3), pages 480-96, June.
- Paul Makdissi & Jean-Yves Duclos, 2002.
"Socially-Improving Tax Reforms,"
Cahiers de recherche
02-01, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke, revised 2004.
- Yaari, Menahem E., 1988. "A controversial proposal concerning inequality measurement," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 381-397, April.
- Duclos, Jean-Yves & Makdissi, Paul & Wodon, Quentin, 2003. "Poverty-Efficient Transfer Programs: The Role of Targeting and Allocation Rules," Cahiers de recherche 0305, CIRPEE.
- Wildasin, David E, 1984. "On Public Good Provision with Distortionary Taxation," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 22(2), pages 227-43, April.
- Yaari, Menahem E, 1987. "The Dual Theory of Choice under Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 95-115, January.
- Mehran, Farhad, 1976. "Linear Measures of Income Inequality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(4), pages 805-09, July.
- Jean-Yves Duclos & Paul Makdissi, 2004.
"Restricted and Unrestricted Dominance for Welfare, Inequality, and Poverty Orderings,"
Journal of Public Economic Theory,
Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 6(1), pages 145-164, 02.
- Duclos, Jean-Yves & Makdissi, Paul, 2000. "Restricted and Unrestricted Dominance for Welfare, Inequality and Poverty Orderings," Cahiers de recherche 0001, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Duclos, Jean-Yves & Makdissi, Paul, 2003. "Restricted and Unrestricted Dominance for Welfare, Inequality and Poverty Orderings," Cahiers de recherche 0303, CIRPEE.
- Makdissi, Paul & Wodon, Quentin, 2002. "Consumption dominance curves: testing for the impact of indirect tax reforms on poverty," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 227-235, April.
- Atkinson, Anthony B., 1970. "On the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 244-263, September.
- Yitzhaki, Shlomo & Thirsk, Wayne, 1990. "Welfare dominance and the design of excise taxation in the Cote d'ivoire," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 1-18, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:sochwe:v:30:y:2008:i:3:p:385-399. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.