Rank-Dependent Measures of Bi-Polarization and Marginal Tax Reforms
In this paper, we investigate a dual class of bi-polarization indices, namely rank-dependent bi-polarization indices. We show that these indices may be characterized with the generalized positional transfer sensitivity property. We find necessary and sufficient conditions in order to identify bi-polarization-reducing marginal tax reforms. Precisely, we propose inverse positional dominance criteria based on the comparison of bi-polarization concentration curves. An illustration is presented using the Jordanian Household Expenditure and Income Survey 2002/2003.
|Date of creation:||06 Jan 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (819) 821-7233
Fax: (819) 821-6930
Web page: http://www.gredi.org/home/documents-de-travail
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wolfson, Michael C, 1994. "When Inequalities Diverge," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(2), pages 353-58, May.
- Paul Makdissi & Stéphane Mussard, 2006.
"Decomposition of s - Concentration Curves,"
Cahiers de recherche
- Makdissi, Paul & Mussard, Stéphane, 2006. "Decomposition of s-Concentration Curves," IRISS Working Paper Series 2006-09, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Paul Makdissi & Stéphane Mussard, 2006. "Decomposition of s-Concentration Curves," Cahiers de recherche 06-21, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- King, Mervyn A., 1983. "Welfare analysis of tax reforms using household data," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 183-214, July.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:4:y:2007:i:36:p:1-6 is not listed on IDEAS
- Yitzhaki, Shlomo & Slemrod, Joel, 1991.
"Welfare Dominance: An Application to Commodity Taxation,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 81(3), pages 480-96, June.
- Shlomo Yitzhaki & Joel Slemrod, 1987. "Welfare Dominance: An Application to Commodity Taxation," NBER Working Papers 2451, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wildasin, David E, 1984. "On Public Good Provision with Distortionary Taxation," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 22(2), pages 227-43, April.
- Jean-Yves Duclos & Paul Makdissi & Quentin Wodon, 2004.
"Socially-Improving Tax Reforms,"
Cahiers de recherche
- Berrebi, Z. M. & Silber, Jacques, 1989. "Deprivation, the Gini index of inequality and the flatness of an income distribution," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 229-237, December.
- Wang, You-Qiang & Tsui, Kai-Yuen, 2000. " Polarization Orderings and New Classes of Polarization Indices," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 2(3), pages 349-63.
- Paul Makdissi & Stéphane Mussard, 2008.
"Analyzing the impact of indirect tax reforms on rank-dependent social welfare functions: a positional dominance approach,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 385-399, April.
- Paul Makdissi & Stéphane Mussard, 2006. "Analyzing the Impact of Indirect Tax Reforms on Rank Dependant Social Welfare Functions: A Positional Dominance Approach," Cahiers de recherche 06-02, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Rolf Aaberge, 2000.
"Ranking intersectiong Lorenz Curves,"
ICER Working Papers
08-2000, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Rolf Aaberge, 2000. "Ranking Intersecting Lorenz Curves," Discussion Papers 271, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Aaberge, Rolf, 2008. "Ranking Intersecting Lorenz Curves," IZA Discussion Papers 3852, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Rolf Aaberge, 2004. "Ranking Intersecting Lorenz Curves," CEIS Research Paper 45, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
- Wolfson, Michael C, 1997. "Divergent Inequalities: Theory and Empirical Results," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 43(4), pages 401-21, December.
- Yaari, Menahem E., 1988. "A controversial proposal concerning inequality measurement," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 381-397, April.
- Silber, Jacques & Berrebi, Z. M., 1988. "Distance functions and the comparison of development levels," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 195-200.
- Besley, Timothy J & Kanbur, S M Ravi, 1988. "Food Subsidies and Poverty Alleviation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(392), pages 701-19, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:shr:wpaper:10-01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luc Savard)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.