Comparing Apples with Oranges: Revisiting the Gender Wage Gap in an International Perspective
Using a rich and comparable micro-data set, we analyse international differences in gender pay gaps in the private sector for a sample of five European economies: Belgium, Denmark, Ireland, Italy and Spain. Using different methods, we examine how wage structure, differences in the distribution of measured characteristics, occupational and industrial segregation contribute to explain the pattern of international differences. Furthermore, we take into account indirect discrimination influencing female occupational and industrial distributions. We find significant impacts of those latter factors on gender differentials. However, the magnitude of their effects varies across countries.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bergmann, Barbara R, 1989. "Does the Market for Women's Labor Need Fixing?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 3(1), pages 43-60, Winter.
- Becker, Gary S., 1971. "The Economics of Discrimination," University of Chicago Press Economics Books, University of Chicago Press, edition 2, number 9780226041162.
- Suen, Wing, 1997. "Decomposing Wage Residuals: Unmeasured Skill or Statistical Artifact?," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(3), pages 555-66, July.
- Brenda Gannon & Robert Plasman & Francois Rycx & Ilan Tojerow, 2007.
"Inter-Industry Wage Differentials and the Gender Wage Gap: Evidence from European Countries,"
The Economic and Social Review,
Economic and Social Studies, vol. 38(1), pages 135-155.
- François Rycx & Brenda Gannon & Robert Plasman & Ilan Tojerow, 2007. "Inter-industry wage differentials and the gender wage gap: Evidence from European countries," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/779, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Brenda Gannon & Robert Plasman & François Rycx & Ilan Tojerow, 2005. "Inter-industry wage differentials and the gender wage gap: evidence from European countries," DULBEA Working Papers 05-01.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Gannon, Brenda & Plasman, Robert & Rycx, Francois & Tojerow, Ilan, 2005. "Inter-Industry Wage Differentials and the Gender Wage Gap: Evidence from European Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 1563, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Michael P. Kidd & Michael Shannon, 1996.
"Does the Level of Occupational Aggregation Affect Estimates of the Gender Wage Gap?,"
Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 49(2), pages 317-329, January.
- Michael P. Kidd & Michael Shannon, 1996. "Does the level of occupational aggregation affect estimates of the gender wage gap?," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 49(2), pages 317-329, January.
- Connelly, Rachel, 1992. "The Effect of Child Care Costs on Married Women's Labor Force Participation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(1), pages 83-90, February.
- Heckman, James, 2013.
"Sample selection bias as a specification error,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Alan S. Blinder, 1973. "Wage Discrimination: Reduced Form and Structural Estimates," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 8(4), pages 436-455.
- Blau, Francine D & Kahn, Lawrence M, 1996. "Wage Structure and Gender Earnings Differentials: An International Comparison," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 63(250), pages S29-62, Suppl..
- Juhn, Chinhui & Murphy, Kevin M & Pierce, Brooks, 1993. "Wage Inequality and the Rise in Returns to Skill," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(3), pages 410-42, June.
- Ronald Oaxaca, 1971.
"Male-Female Wage Differentials in Urban Labor Markets,"
396, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Oaxaca, Ronald, 1973. "Male-Female Wage Differentials in Urban Labor Markets," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 14(3), pages 693-709, October.
- Randall S. Brown & Marilyn Moon & Barbara S. Zoloth, 1980. "Incorporating Occupational Attainment in Studies of Male-Female Earnings Differentials," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 15(1), pages 3-28.
- Blau, Francine D & Kahn, Lawrence M, 1992. "The Gender Earnings Gap: Learning from International Comparisons," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(2), pages 533-38, May.
- Schmidt, Peter & Strauss, Robert P, 1975. "The Prediction of Occupation Using Multiple Logit Models," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 16(2), pages 471-86, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp1449. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.