Gender wage differentials and occupational distribution
The study analyzes the role of occupational distribution in explaining the male-female wage gap in the Portuguese economy. The objective is to investigate to what extent gender wage disparities can be explained by occupational segregation. Relying on data from the personnel records for the period 1986-2004, this study uses the Brown, Moon, and Zoloth (1989) wage differential decomposition method to conduct the empirical analysis. The main findings reveal that occupational gender segregation is not a major contributor to the male-female wage gap and that within occupational wage effects play a prominent role in determining the overall differential. Additionally, the results indicate that a substantial portion of wage differentials within occupations potentially stems from wage discrimination.
Volume (Year): (2009)
Issue (Month): 29 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Av. Dias da Silva, 165, 3004-512 COIMBRA|
Phone: + 351 239 790 500
Fax: + 351 239 40 35 11
Web page: http://notas-economicas.fe.uc.pt/index_en.htm
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kunze, Astrid, 2000. "The Determination of Wages and the Gender Wage Gap: A Survey," IZA Discussion Papers 193, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jacob Mincer & Solomon Polacheck, 1974.
"Family Investments in Human Capital: Earnings of Women,"
in: Economics of the Family: Marriage, Children, and Human Capital, pages 397-431
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mincer, Jacob & Polachek, Solomon, 1974. "Family Investment in Human Capital: Earnings of Women," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(2), pages S76-S108, Part II, .
- Jacob Mincer & Solomon Polachek, 1974. "Family Investments in Human Capital: Earnings of Women," NBER Chapters, in: Marriage, Family, Human Capital, and Fertility, pages 76-110 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dex, S & Sloane, P J, 1988. " Detecting and Removing Discrimination under Equal Opportunities Policies," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(1), pages 1-27.
- Plasman, Robert & Sissoko, Salimata, 2004.
"Comparing Apples with Oranges: Revisiting the Gender Wage Gap in an International Perspective,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1449, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Robert Plasman & Salimata Sissoko Ndeye, 2005. "Comparing apples with oranges: revisiting the gender wage gap in an international perspective," DULBEA Working Papers 05-12.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Peter J. Dolton & Michael P. Kidd, 1994.
"Occupational Access And Wage Discrimination,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 56(4), pages 457-474, November.
- Kunze, Astrid, 2005. "The evolution of the gender wage gap," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 73-97, February.
- Preston, Jo Anne, 1999. "Occupational gender segregation Trends and explanations," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 611-624.
- Kiker, B. F. & Santos, Maria C., 1991. "Human capital and earnings in Portugal," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 187-203, September.
- Dennis J. Aigner & Glen G. Cain, 1977. "Statistical Theories of Discrimination in Labor Markets," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 30(2), pages 175-187, January.
- Melanie Ward, 2001. "The gender salary gap in British academia," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(13), pages 1669-1681.
- Miller, Paul W, 1987. "The Wage Effect of the Occupational Segregation of Women in Britain," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(388), pages 885-96, December.
- Marianne Bertrand & Kevin F. Hallock, 2001. "The Gender Gap in Top Corporate Jobs," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 55(1), pages 3-21, October.
- Kidd, M.P., 1990.
"Sex Discrimination and Occupational Segregation in the Australian Labour Market,"
1991-01, Tasmania - Department of Economics.
- Kidd, Michael P, 1993. "Sex Discrimination and Occupational Segregation in the Australian Labour Market," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 69(204), pages 44-55, March.
- Blau, Francine D & Kahn, Lawrence M, 1996. "Wage Structure and Gender Earnings Differentials: An International Comparison," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 63(250), pages S29-62, Suppl..
- Randall S. Brown & Marilyn Moon & Barbara S. Zoloth, 1980. "Incorporating Occupational Attainment in Studies of Male-Female Earnings Differentials," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 15(1), pages 3-28.
- Oaxaca, Ronald, 1973. "Male-Female Wage Differentials in Urban Labor Markets," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 14(3), pages 693-709, October.
- Elizabeth Monk-Turner & Charlie Turner, 2001. "Sex Differentials in Earnings in the South Korean Labor Market," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(1), pages 63-78.
- Alan S. Blinder, 1973. "Wage Discrimination: Reduced Form and Structural Estimates," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 8(4), pages 436-455.
- Michael P. Kidd & Michael Shannon, 1994. "An Update and Extension of the Canadian Evidence on Gender Wage Differentials," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 27(4), pages 918-38, November.
- José Vieira & Ana Cardoso & Miguel Portela, 2005. "Gender segregation and the wage gap in Portugal: an analysis at the establishment level," The Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer;Society for the Study of Economic Inequality, vol. 3(2), pages 145-168, August.
- Cotton, Jeremiah, 1988. "On the Decomposition of Wage Differentials," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(2), pages 236-43, May.
- Clementina Santos & Pilar González, 2003. "Gender Wage Differentials in the Portuguese Labor Market," CEF.UP Working Papers 0303, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Blau, Francine D. & Kahn, Lawrence M., 1999. "Analyzing the gender pay gap," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 625-646.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gmf:journl:y:2009:i:29:p:26-40. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sara Santos)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.