How Strong are the Linkages between Real Estate and Other Sectors in China?
International experience points to the critical role of stable property markets in maintaining financial stability. In China, the real estate sector has become increasingly important for the economy, but existing evidence has likely understated its importance as its linkages with other sectors have not been taken into account. This paper attempts to shed some light on these linkages which occur through both real and financial channels. Our analysis based on input-output tables shows that the linkages between the real estate and other sectors have strengthened through real channels, and that the real estate sector has been much more important to the economy's output than suggested by the share of its value added in total value added. The real estate industry is also closely linked to other sectors through various financial channels, including serving as collateral in credit expansion. We quantify these financial linkages by studying the spill-overs of credit risk across sectors using data of listed firms. In general, we find that corporate credit risk has risen in recent years, and that credit risk in the real estate sector can potentially have large-scale spill-over effects onto other sectors. Consequently, shocks to the property market could have much larger impact on the Chinese economy than suggested by headline figures.
|Date of creation:||May 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 55th Floor , Two International Finance Centre , 8 Finance Street , Central, Hong Kong|
Phone: (852)2878 1978
Fax: (852)2878 7006
Web page: http://www.hkimr.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Xiaoyun Liu, 2010.
"The diminishing influences of agricultural output changes on general price changes in China,"
China Agricultural Economic Review,
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 2(3), pages 345-355, September.
- Xian Xin & Xiuqing Wang & Xiaoyun Liu & Xuefeng Mao, 2009. "The Diminishing Influences of Agricultural Output Changes on General Price Changes in China," Working Papers 0902, China Agricultural University, College of Economics and Management.
- Sharify, Nooraddin & Sancho, Ferran, 2011. "A new approach for the input–output price model," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 188-195.
- Sharify, Nooraddin & Sancho, Ferran, 2011. "A new approach for the input-output price model," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 188-195, January.
- Kiyotaki, Nobuhiro & Moore, John, 1997. "Credit Cycles," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(2), pages 211-248, April.
- John Moore & Nobuhiro Kiyotaki, "undated". "Credit Cycles," Discussion Papers 1995-5, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Nobuhiro Kiyotaki & John Moore, 1995. "Credit Cycles," NBER Working Papers 5083, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ryo Kato, 2003. "Matlab code for Kiyotaki-Moore credit cycles," QM&RBC Codes 113, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Hosoe, Nobuhiro, 2014. "Estimation errors in input–output tables and prediction errors in computable general equilibrium analysis," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 277-286.
- Nobuhiro Hosoe, 2013. "Estimation Errors in Input-Output Tables and Prediction Errors in Computable General Equilibrium Analysis," GRIPS Discussion Papers 13-16, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies.
- Nobuhiro Hosoe, 2013. "Estimation Errors in Input-Output Tables and Prediction Errors in Computable General Equilibrium Analysis," GRIPS Discussion Papers 13-19, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies.
- Merton, Robert C, 1974. "On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 449-470, May.
- Merton, Robert C., 1973. "On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates," Working papers 684-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Robert A. Jarrow & Fan Yu, 2008. "Counterparty Risk and the Pricing of Defaultable Securities," World Scientific Book Chapters,in: Financial Derivatives Pricing Selected Works of Robert Jarrow, chapter 20, pages 481-515 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Robert A. Jarrow, 2001. "Counterparty Risk and the Pricing of Defaultable Securities," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(5), pages 1765-1799, October.
- Kehoe, Timothy J. & Serra-Puche, Jaime, 1983. "A computational general equilibrium model with endogenous unemployment : An analysis of the 1980 fiscal reform in Mexico," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 1-26, October.
- repec:bla:joares:v:4:y:1966:i::p:71-111 is not listed on IDEAS
- Yuan, Chaoqing & Liu, Sifeng & Xie, Naiming, 2010. "The impact on chinese economic growth and energy consumption of the Global Financial Crisis: An input–output analysis," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 1805-1812.
- Liew, Chung J. & Liew, Chong K., 1988. "A comparative study of household interactive variable input-output (HIVIO) model and the conventional input-output models," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 64-84, July.
- Edward I. Altman, 1968. "Financial Ratios, Discriminant Analysis And The Prediction Of Corporate Bankruptcy," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 23(4), pages 589-609, September.
- Giesecke, Kay, 2004. "Correlated default with incomplete information," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(7), pages 1521-1545, July.
- Didier Cossin & Henry Schellhorn, 2007. "Credit Risk in a Network Economy," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 53(10), pages 1604-1617, October.
- Shumway, Tyler, 2001. "Forecasting Bankruptcy More Accurately: A Simple Hazard Model," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74(1), pages 101-124, January.
- Williamson, Stephen D, 1987. "Financial Intermediation, Business Failures, and Real Business Cycles," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(6), pages 1196-1216, December.
- Townsend, Robert M., 1979. "Optimal contracts and competitive markets with costly state verification," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 265-293, October.
- Robert M. Townsend, 1979. "Optimal contracts and competitive markets with costly state verification," Staff Report 45, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Jin-Chuan Duan, 1994. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation Using Price Data Of The Derivative Contract," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(2), pages 155-167. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hkm:wpaper:112014. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (HKIMR)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.