Uncovering the Effect of the HIV Epidemic on Fertility in Sub-Saharan Africa: The Case of Malawi
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Becker, Gary S & Lewis, H Gregg, 1973. "On the Interaction between the Quantity and Quality of Children," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(2), pages 279-288, Part II, .
- Rodrigo R. Soares, 2005.
"Mortality Reductions, Educational Attainment, and Fertility Choice,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 95(3), pages 580-601, June.
- Rodrigo R. Soares, 2003. "Mortality Reductions, Educational Attainment, and Fertility Choice," Development and Comp Systems 0312006, EconWPA.
- Rodrigo R. Soares, 2004. "Mortality Reductions, Educational Attainment, and Fertility Choice," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 9, Econometric Society.
- McDonald, Scott & Roberts, Jennifer, 2006.
"AIDS and economic growth: A human capital approach,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 228-250, June.
- Scott McDonald & Jennifer Roberts, 2004. "Aids and Economic Growth: A Human Capital Approach," Working Papers 2004008, The University of Sheffield, Department of Economics, revised Aug 2004.
- Raul Santaeulalia-Llopis, 2008. "Aggregate Effect of AIDS on Development," 2008 Meeting Papers 533, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Chris Papageorgiou & Petia Stoytcheva, 2005. "What Do We Know About the Impact of AIDS on Cross-Country Income So Far?," Departmental Working Papers 2005-01, Department of Economics, Louisiana State University.
- Kalemli-Ozcan, Sebnem, 2003.
"A stochastic model of mortality, fertility, and human capital investment,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 103-118, February.
- Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan, 2002. "A Stochastic Model of Mortality, Fertility, and Human Capital Investment," Macroeconomics 0212009, EconWPA.
- Chinhui Juhn & Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan & Belgi Turan, 2013.
"HIV and fertility in Africa: first evidence from population-based surveys,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 26(3), pages 835-853, July.
- Chinhui Juhn & Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan & Belgi Turan, 2008. "HIV and Fertility in Africa: First Evidence from Population Based Surveys," NBER Working Papers 14248, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Juhn, Chinhui & Kalemli-Ozcan, Sebnem & Turan, Belgi, 2009. "HIV and Fertility in Africa: First Evidence from Population Based Surveys," IZA Discussion Papers 4473, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan & Belgi Turan & Chinhui Juhn, 2009. "HIV and Fertility in Africa: First Evidence from Population Based Surveys," 2009 Meeting Papers 650, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Mika Ueyama & Futoshi Yamauchi, 2009.
"Marriage behavior response to prime-age adult mortality: evidence from malawi,"
Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 46(1), pages 43-63, February.
- Ueyama, Mika & Yamauchi, Futoshi, 2008. "Marriage behavior response to prime-age adult mortality: Evidence from Malawi," IFPRI discussion papers 764, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Gustavo Angeles & David Guilkey & Thomas Mroz, 2005. "The determinants of fertility in rural Peru: Program effects in the early years of the national family planning program," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 18(2), pages 367-389, June.
- Alwyn Young, 2007. "In sorrow to bring forth children: fertility amidst the plague of HIV," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 12(4), pages 283-327, December.
- Durevall, Dick & Lindskog, Annika, 2007. "HIV/AIDS, Adult Mortality and Fertility: Evidence from Malawi," Working Papers in Economics 284, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Barmby, T & Cigno, A, 1990. "A Sequential Probability Model of Fertility Patterns," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 3(1), pages 31-51, April.
More about this item
KeywordsAIDS; Demographic Transition; HIV; Fertility; Malawi;
- I10 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - General
- J13 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Fertility; Family Planning; Child Care; Children; Youth
- O12 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Microeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2008-09-29 (Africa)
- NEP-ALL-2008-09-29 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2008-09-29 (Development)
- NEP-HEA-2008-09-29 (Health Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:gunwpe:0318. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie Andersson). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/naiguse.html .