Monetary Policy and Credit Cycles: A DSGE Analysis
The recent fi nancial crisis revealed several flaws in both monetary and fi nancial regulation. Contrary to what was believed, price stability is not a suffi cient condition for financial stability. At the same time, micro-prudential regulation alone becomes insu fficient to ensure the financial stability objective. In this paper, we propose an ex-post analysis of what a central bank could have done to improve the reaction of the economy to the financial bubble. We study by means of a fi nancial accelerator DSGE model the dynamics of our economy when the central bank has, fi rst, only traditional objectives, and second, when an additional financial stability objective is added. Overall, results indicate that a more aggressive monetary policy would have had little success in improving the response of the economy to the financial bubble, as the actions of the central bank would have remained limited by the use of a single instrument, the interest rate.
|Date of creation:||18 Sep 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00828074|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christina Badarau & Grégory Levieuge, 2011.
"Assessing the Effects of Financial Heterogeneity in a Monetary Union : A DSGE Approach,"
Larefi Working Papers
1108, Larefi, Université Bordeaux 4.
- Badarau, Cristina & Levieuge, Grégory, 2011. "Assessing the effects of financial heterogeneity in a monetary union a DSGE approach," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 2451-2461.
- Samuel G. Hanson & Anil K. Kashyap & Jeremy C. Stein, 2011. "A Macroprudential Approach to Financial Regulation," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 25(1), pages 3-28, Winter.
- Luisa Lambertini & Caterina Mendicino & Maria Teresa Punzi, 2011.
"Leaning Against Boom-Bust Cycles in Credit and Housing Prices,"
201101, Center for Fiscal Policy, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Lausanne, revised Mar 2011.
- Lambertini, Luisa & Mendicino, Caterina & Teresa Punzi, Maria, 2013. "Leaning against boom–bust cycles in credit and housing prices," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 1500-1522.
- Luisa Lambertini & Caterina Mendicino & Maria Teresa Punzi, 2011. "Leaning Against Boom-Bust Cycles in Credit and Housing Prices," Working Papers CELEG 1104, Dipartimento di Economia e Finanza, LUISS Guido Carli.
- Luisa Lambertini & Caterina Mendicino & Maria Tereza Punzi, 2011. "Leaning Against Boom-Bust Cycles in Credit and Housing Prices," Working Papers w201108, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Borio, Claudio & Zhu, Haibin, 2012.
"Capital regulation, risk-taking and monetary policy: A missing link in the transmission mechanism?,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 236-251.
- Claudio Borio & Haibin Zhu, 2008. "Capital regulation, risk-taking and monetary policy: a missing link in the transmission mechanism?," BIS Working Papers 268, Bank for International Settlements.
- Beau, D. & Clerc, L. & Mojon, B., 2011.
"Macro-prudential policy and the conduct of monetary policy,"
8, Banque de France.
- Beau, D. & Clerc, L. & Mojon, B., 2012. "Macro-Prudential Policy and the Conduct of Monetary Policy," Working papers 390, Banque de France.
- Denis Beau & Christophe Cahn & Laurent Clerc & Benoît Mojon, 2013. "Macro-Prudential Policy and the Conduct of Monetary Policy," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 715, Central Bank of Chile.
- Pierre-Richard Agénor & K. Alper & Luiz A. Pereira da Silva, 2011.
"Capital Regulation, Monetary Policy and Financial Stability,"
Working Papers Series
237, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- R. P. Agenor & K. Alper & L. Pereira da Silva, 2013. "Capital Regulation, Monetary Policy, and Financial Stability," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 9(3), pages 198-243, September.
- Pierre-Richard Agénor & Koray Alper & Luiz Pereira da Silva, 2011. "Capital Regulation, Monetary Policy and Financial Stability," Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series 154, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Pierre-Richard Agenor & Koray Alper & Luiz Pereira da Silva, 2012. "Capital Regulation, Monetary Policy and Financial Stability," Working Papers 1228, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Charles T. Carlstrom & Timothy S. Fuerst, 1996.
"Agency costs, net worth, and business fluctuations: a computable general equilibrium analysis,"
9602, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Carlstrom, Charles T & Fuerst, Timothy S, 1997. "Agency Costs, Net Worth, and Business Fluctuations: A Computable General Equilibrium Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(5), pages 893-910, December.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Philip Lowe & Claudio Borio, 2002. "Asset prices, financial and monetary stability: exploring the nexus," BIS Working Papers 114, Bank for International Settlements.
- Ignazio Angeloni & Ester Faia, 2009. "A Tale of Two Policies: Prudential Regulation and Monetary Policy with Fragile Banks," Kiel Working Papers 1569, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Angeloni, Ignazio & Faia, Ester & Lo Duca, Marco, 2013.
"Monetary policy and risk taking,"
SAFE Working Paper Series
8, Research Center SAFE - Sustainable Architecture for Finance in Europe, Goethe University Frankfurt.
- Florina-Cristina Badarau & Grégory Levieuge, 2011. "Assessing the Effects of Financial Heterogeneity in a Monetary Union : A DSGE Approach," Working Papers hal-00641984, HAL.
- Calvo, Guillermo A., 1983. "Staggered prices in a utility-maximizing framework," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 383-398, September.
- Ioannidou, V. & Ongena, S. & Peydro, J.L., 2009. "Monetary Policy, Risk-Taking, and Pricing : Evidence from a Quasi-Natural Experiment," Discussion Paper 2009-31 S, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Paul De Grauwe & Daniel Gros, 2009. "A New Two-Pillar Strategy for the ECB," CESifo Working Paper Series 2818, CESifo Group Munich.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:halshs-00828074. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.