Macroeconomic Propagation under Different Regulatory Regimes: Evidence from an Estimated DSGE Model for the Euro Area
This article analyzes the role of credit market frictions in business-cycle fluctuations and in the transmission of monetary policy. We estimate a closed-economy dynamic stochastic general equilibrium (DSGE) model for the euro area with financially constrained households and firms and embedding an oligopolistic banking sector facing capital constraints. Using this setup we examine the monetary policy implications of the various financial frictions to credit supply and demand and furthermore examine the real economic implications of increasing capital requirements and of introducing risk-sensitive capital requirements. Moreover, the potential for introducing countercyclical bank capital rules and aligning macroprudential tools with standard monetary policy tools is examined. In particular, the model results highlight the importance of operating with a protracted implementation schedule of new regulatory requirements for smoothing out the transitional costs to the economy arising from a more capital-constrained banking sector.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gregory de Walque & Olivier Pierrard & Abdelaziz Rouabah, 2008.
"Financial (in)stability, supervision and liquidity injections : a dynamic general equilibrium approach,"
Working Paper Research
148, National Bank of Belgium.
- Gregory deWalque & Olivier Pierrard & Abdelaziz Rouabah, 2010. "Financial (In)Stability, Supervision and Liquidity Injections: A Dynamic General Equilibrium Approach," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 120(549), pages 1234-1261, December.
- Gregory DE WALQUE & Olivier PIERRARD & Abdelaziz ROUABAH, 2009. "Financial (in)stability, supervision and liquidity injections : a dynamic general equilibrium approach," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2009006, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Gregory de Walque & Olivier Pierrard & Abdelaziz Rouabah, 2008. "Financial (in)stability, supervision and liquidity injections: a dynamic general equilibrium approach," BCL working papers 35, Central Bank of Luxembourg.
- de Walque, Gregory & Pierrard, Olivier & Rouabah, Abdelaziz, 2009. "Financial (In)stability, Supervision and Liquidity Injections: A Dynamic General Equilibrium Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 7202, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jaap Bikker & Paul Metzemakers, 2004.
"Is bank capital procyclical? A cross-country analysis,"
DNB Working Papers
009, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Jacob A. Bikker & Paul A. J. Metzemakers, 2007. "Is Bank Capital Procyclical? A Cross-Country Analysis," Credit and Capital Markets, Credit and Capital Markets, vol. 40(2), pages 225-264.
- Pierre-Richard Agénor & Koray Alper, 2009.
"Monetary Shocks and Central Bank Liquidity with Credit Market Imperfections,"
Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series
120, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Pierre-Richard Agénor & Koray Alper, 2012. "Monetary shocks and central bank liquidity with credit market imperfections," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 64(3), pages 563-591, July.
- Pierre-Richard Agenor & Koray Alper, 2009. "Monetary Shocks and Central Bank Liquidity with Credit Market Imperfections," Working Papers 0906, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Gropp, Reint & Kok, Christoffer & Lichtenberger, Jung-Duk, 2007.
"The dynamics of bank spreads and financial structure,"
Working Paper Series
0714, European Central Bank.
- Reint Gropp & Christoffer Kok & Jung-Duk Lichtenberger, 2014. "The Dynamics of Bank Spreads and Financial Structure," Quarterly Journal of Finance (QJF), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 4(04), pages 1450014-1-1.
- Gropp, Reint & Heider, Florian, 2009.
"The determinants of bank capital structure,"
Working Paper Series
1096, European Central Bank.
- William Francis & Matthew Osborne, 2009. "Bank regulation, capital and credit supply: Measuring the Impact of Prudential Standards," Occasional Papers 36, Financial Services Authority.
- Christiano, Lawrence & Motto, Roberto & Rostagno, Massimo, 2008.
"Shocks, structures or monetary policies? The Euro Area and US after 2001,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 2476-2506, August.
- Lawrence Christiano & Roberto Motto & Massimo Rostagno, 2007. "Shocks, Structures or Monetary Policies? The Euro Area and US After 2001," NBER Working Papers 13521, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christiano, Lawrence & Motto, Roberto & Rostagno, Massimo, 2007. "Shocks, structures or monetary policies? The euro area and US after 2001," Working Paper Series 0774, European Central Bank.
- Fagan, Gabriel & Henry, Jérôme & Mestre, Ricardo, 2001. "An area-wide model (AWM) for the euro area," Working Paper Series 0042, European Central Bank.
- Teruyoshi Kobayashi, 2008. "Incomplete Interest Rate Pass-Through and Optimal Monetary Policy," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 4(3), pages 77-118, September.
- Skander J. Van den Heuvel, 2002. "Does bank capital matter for monetary transmission?," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue May, pages 259-265.
- KOBAYASHI Keiichiro & NAKAJIMA Tomoyuki & INABA Masaru, 2007.
"Collateral Constraint and News-driven Cycles,"
07013, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1995. "Is bank lending important for the transmission of monetary policy? proceedings of a conference held in June 1995," Conference Series ; [Proceedings], Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, vol. 39(Jun).
- Stephanie Schmitt-Grohe & Martin Uribe, 2006. "Comparing Two Variants of Calvo-Type Wage Stickiness," NBER Working Papers 12740, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ian Christensen & Ali Dib, 2008. "The Financial Accelerator in an Estimated New Keynesian Model," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 11(1), pages 155-178, January.
- Adrian, Tobias & Shin, Hyun Song, 2010.
"Liquidity and leverage,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 418-437, July.
- Con Keating & Hyun Song Shin & Charles Goodhart & Jon Danielsson, 2001. "An Academic Response to Basel II," FMG Special Papers sp130, Financial Markets Group.
- Darracq Pariès, Matthieu & Notarpietro, Alessandro, 2008. "Monetary policy and housing prices in an estimated DSGE for the US and the euro area," Working Paper Series 0972, European Central Bank.
- Matteo Ciccarelli & Angela Maddaloni & Jose Luis Peydro, .
"Trusting the Bankers: A New Look at the Credit Channel of Monetary Policy,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Ciccarelli, Matteo & Peydró, José-Luis & Maddaloni, Angela, 2010. "Trusting the bankers: a new look at the credit channel of monetary policy," Working Paper Series 1228, European Central Bank.
- Matteo Ciccarelli & Angela Maddaloni & Jose Luis Peydro, 2014. "Code and data files for "Trusting the bankers: A new look at the credit channel of monetary policy"," Computer Codes 13-203, Review of Economic Dynamics.
- Gertler, Mark & Karadi, Peter, 2011. "A model of unconventional monetary policy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 17-34, January.
- Ignazio Angeloni & Ester Faia, 2009. "A Tale of Two Policies: Prudential Regulation and Monetary Policy with Fragile Banks," Kiel Working Papers 1569, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Francisco Covas & Shigeru Fujita, 2010. "Procyclicality of Capital Requirements in a General Equilibrium Model of Liquidity Dependence," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 6(34), pages 137-173, December.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1995.
"Is bank lending important for the transmission of monetary policy: an overview,"
Conference Series ; [Proceedings],
Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, vol. 39, pages 1-14.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1995. "Is bank lending important for the transmission of monetary policy? An overview," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Nov, pages 3-11.
- Hülsewig, Oliver & Mayer, Eric & Wollmershäuser, Timo, 2009. "Bank behavior, incomplete interest rate pass-through, and the cost channel of monetary policy transmission," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 1310-1327, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ijc:ijcjou:y:2011:q:4:a:3. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Timo Laurmaa)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.