Assessing the Frontiers of Ultra-Poverty Reduction: Evidence from CFPR/TUP, an Innovative Program in Bangladesh
This paper uses household panel data to provide robust evidence on the effects of BRAC’s Targeting the Ultra-poor Program in Bangladesh. Our identification strategy exploits type-1 errors in assignment, comparing households correctly included with those incorrectly excluded, according to program criteria. Evidence from difference-in-difference matching and sensitivity analysis shows that participation had significant positive effects on income, food consumption and security, household durables, and livestock, but no robust impact on health, ownership of homestead land, housing quality and other productive assets. Using quantile difference-in-difference, we find that the income gains from program participation is smaller for the lowest two deciles.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.gwu.edu/~iiep/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joseph G. Altonji & Todd E. Elder & Christopher R. Taber, 2000.
"Selection on Observed and Unobserved Variables: Assessing the Effectiveness of Catholic Schools,"
NBER Working Papers
7831, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joseph G. Altonji & Todd E. Elder & Christopher R. Taber, 2005. "Selection on Observed and Unobserved Variables: Assessing the Effectiveness of Catholic Schools," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 113(1), pages 151-184, February.
- Becker, Sascha O. & Caliendo, Marco, 2007.
"mhbounds – Sensitivity Analysis for Average Treatment Effects,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2542, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sascha O. Becker & Marco Caliendo, 2007. "Sensitivity analysis for average treatment effects," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 7(1), pages 71-83, February.
- Sascha O. Becker & Marco Caliendo, 2007. "mhbounds - Sensitivity Analysis for Average Treatment Effects," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 659, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Song, Jae G. & Manchester, Joyce, 2007. "New evidence on earnings and benefit claims following changes in the retirement earnings test in 2000," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(3-4), pages 669-700, April.
- Aakvik, Arild, 2001.
" Bounding a Matching Estimator: The Case of a Norwegian Training Program,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 63(1), pages 115-43, February.
- Aakvik, A., 1999. "Bounding a Marching Estimator: the Case of a Norwegian Training Program," Norway; Department of Economics, University of Bergen 0499, Department of Economics, University of Bergen.
- Aakvik, A., 2001. "Bounding a Matching Estimator: The Case of a Norwegian Training Program," Norway; Department of Economics, University of Bergen 222, Department of Economics, University of Bergen.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gwi:wpaper:2009-06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kyle Renner)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.