The Changing Role of Global Financial Brands in the Underwriting of Foreign Government Debt (1815-2010)
This paper covers the long-term evolution of the primary market for foreign government debt. We discuss the role of financial intermediaries as underwriters and distributors of securities, providers of information, and lending of last resort services since the early 19th century, and the evolution of this role. We underscore the role of the prestige of global financial brands in sustaining early foreign debt markets and its weakening in the modern era.
|Date of creation:||05 Dec 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Forthcoming, Encyclopedia of Financial Globalization, Gerard Caprio and Charles Calomiris editors.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 36, 1211 Geneva 21|
Phone: ++41 22 731 17 30
Fax: ++41 22 738 43 06
Web page: http://www.graduateinstitute.ch/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reisen, Helmut & Von Maltzan, Julia & Larraín, Guillermo, 1998.
"Emerging market risk and sovereign credit ratings,"
Sede de la CEPAL en Santiago (Estudios e Investigaciones)
34380, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL).
- Marc Flandreau & Juan Flores, 2011. "Bondholders vs. bond-sellers? Investment banks and conditionality lending in the London market for foreign government debt, 1815-1913," Working Papers 0002, European Historical Economics Society (EHES).
- Mauro, Paolo & Sussman, Nathan & Yafeh, Yishay, 2007. "Emerging Markets and Financial Globalization: Sovereign Bond Spreads in 1870-1913 and Today," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199226139, December.
- Marc Flandreau & Norbert Gaillard & Frank Packer, 2010. "To err is human: rating agencies and the interwar foreign government debt crisis," BIS Working Papers 335, Bank for International Settlements.
- Flores, Juan-Huitzi, 2007. "Lending booms, underwriting and competition : the baring crisis revisited," IFCS - Working Papers in Economic History.WH wp07-01, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Instituto Figuerola.
- Neal, Larry & Davis, Lance, 2006. "The evolution of the structure and performance of the London Stock Exchange in the first global financial market, 1812 1914," European Review of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(03), pages 279-300, December.
- Ana Fostel & Graciela Laura Kaminsky, 2008.
"Latin America´s Access to International Capital Markets: Good Behavior or Global Liquidity?,"
Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series,
in: Kevin Cowan & Sebastián Edwards & Rodrigo O. Valdés & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt- (ed.), Current Account and External Financing, edition 1, volume 12, chapter 4, pages 117-158
Central Bank of Chile.
- Ana Fostel & Graciela Kaminsk, 2007. "Latin America's Access to International Capital Markets: Good Behavior or Global Liquidity?," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 442, Central Bank of Chile.
- Ana Fostel & Graciela Laura Kaminsky, 2007. "Latin America's Access to International Capital Markets: Good Behavior or Global Liquidity?," NBER Working Papers 13194, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter Temin, 1991. "Introduction to "Inside the Business Enterprise: Historical Perspectives on the Use of Information"," NBER Chapters, in: Inside the Business Enterprise: Historical Perspectives on the Use of Information, pages 1-6 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- R. G Gelos & Guido M Sandleris & Ratna Sahay, 2004.
"Sovereign Borrowing by Developing Countries; What Determines Market Access?,"
IMF Working Papers
04/221, International Monetary Fund.
- Gelos, R. Gaston & Sahay, Ratna & Sandleris, Guido, 2011. "Sovereign borrowing by developing countries: What determines market access?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 243-254, March.
- R. Gaston Gelos, Ratna Sahay and Guido Sandleris, 2008. "Sovereign Borrowing by Developing Countries: What Determines Market Access?," Business School Working Papers 2008-02, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Reinhart, Carmen, 2009.
"The Second Great Contraction,"
21485, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "Varieties of Crises and Their Dates," Introductory Chapters, in: This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly Princeton University Press.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, number 8973, 01-2013.
- Barry Eichengreen & Ashoka Mody, 2004. "Do Collective Action Clauses Raise Borrowing Costs?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(495), pages 247-264, 04.
- Sebastian Edwards, 2000. "Introduction to "Capital Flows and the Emerging Economies: Theory, Evidence, and Controversies"," NBER Chapters, in: Capital Flows and the Emerging Economies: Theory, Evidence, and Controversies, pages 1-12 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David A. Grigorian, 2003. "On the Determinants of First-Time Sovereign Bond Issues," IMF Working Papers 03/184, International Monetary Fund.
- Sebastián Nieto Parra, 2008.
"Who Saw Sovereign Debt Crises Coming?,"
OECD Development Centre Working Papers
274, OECD Publishing.
- Sebastián Nieto-Parra, 2009. "Who Saw Sovereign Debt Crises Coming?," ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, vol. 0(Fall 2009), pages 125-169, August.
- John Hawkins, 2002. "Bond markets and banks in emerging economies," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), The development of bond markets in emerging economies, volume 11, pages 42-48 Bank for International Settlements.
- Peter Temin, 1991. "Inside the Business Enterprise: Historical Perspectives on the Use of Information," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number temi91-1, September.
- Ratha, Dilip & De, Prabal & Mohapatra, Sanket, 2007.
"Shadow sovereign ratings for unrated developing countries,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4269, The World Bank.
- Ratha, Dilip & De, Prabal K. & Mohapatra, Sanket, 2011. "Shadow Sovereign Ratings for Unrated Developing Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 295-307, March.
- Marc Flandreau & Norbert Gaillard & Ugo Panizza, 2009.
"Conflicts of Interest, Reputation and the Interwar Debt Crisis: Banksters or Bad Luck?,"
IHEID Working Papers
02-2010, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies, revised Feb 2010.
- Flandreau, Marc & Gaillard, Norbert & Panizza, Ugo, 2010. "Conflicts of Interest, Reputation, and the Interwar Debt Crisis: Banksters or Bad Luck?," CEPR Discussion Papers 7705, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sebastian Edwards, 2000. "Capital Flows and the Emerging Economies: Theory, Evidence, and Controversies," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number edwa00-1, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gii:giihei:heidwp15-2011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dorina Dobre)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.